Archon by Sabrina Benulis

English (13)  Italian (1)  All (14)

To read my review please go to http://www.myshelf.com/teen/fiction/12/archon.htm
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
Liked what there was of sample; may not like if as dark/grim as might get or if too much YA. As it is, like with most "angels" in paranormal books, "angels" are just a powerful paranormal race versus redemption and obeying God's orders type of stuff and from what I can gather from sample in this case are both the good guys and the bad guys; a potential "clique" or mean-girl type of situation which could turn it too Young Adult/Teen for me. But interesting and well enough written (yup, I've been fooled before with good, well edited samples but like enough to eventually buy and try to read).
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Ugh, this book was terrible. It had such promise, great cover, intriguing storyline. But unfortunately it fell very short of my expectations. I couldn't keep the characters straight. I could never quite picture the location of the events, and frankly much of it was convoluted and confusing. There were parts I had to completely reread because I simply didn't know what I had just read. If it had another 100 pages of description and character development it might have been bearable. I won't be reading anymore in this series. ( )
  AKLibGirl | Dec 21, 2013 |
Many books draw the reader in and keep them turning the page making it hard to stop reading but this book almost seemed to push the reader out. The writing, especially at first, felt awkward and disjointed and I had to fight the impulse to give up reading it and move on to something else. I was curious about some of the passage like the prologue so I forced myself to stick with it and it did get better and more interesting, but it was not very well written imo. Some interesting ideas but it didn't seem to flow together very easily. The characters were confusing especially with them often being more than they appeared, either through reincarnation and/or possession, and sometimes it was difficult to keep straight who was who or what. The Supernals like Israfel were often described as so powerful that it seemed no human or even half-human could stand against them, They were described as being able to take a life with a thought and seemed able to mesmerize and control at their whim, yet at times much weaker characters seemed able to stand up to them in ways that didn't seem realistic if they had such enormous power. Some of the motivations of the characters were confusing as well, and it wasn't always clear why some of the characters were making the decisions they did or what their actual goal or reward was. Things didn't seem to be very well explained and I kept expecting things to become clearer the further I got into the book but it really didn't seem to happen. In fact, things seemed to become more muddled and confusing. That said, it was interesting and different and I did find myself thinking about it and wanting to see what was going to happen, so I didn't give it as low a rating as I might have with the way I felt at the start. I think it's one of those books that if a reader is curious about it they should give it a try and see if they want to make the effort to muddle through it. I'll be curious to see if the author settles in more and improves with the next book. ( )
  LongDogMom | Dec 20, 2012 |
I was eager to read Archon with it's interesting premise and enchanting cover. After about 150 pages, it didn't hold my interest. I still wasn't sure what the novel was truly about and I think it should be pretty apparent by that point. Some of the scenes were a little confusing. There were absolutely no redeeming characters. Angela has a horrible, obvious name for a book about angels and her attitude is horrible. She's terribly self centered and doesn't really care about anyone else. She didn't even seem concerned about the fact that she killed her parents in a fire that she meant to kill herself in. I didn't really care what happened to her or any other of the not-so-memorable characters. ( )
  titania86 | Sep 7, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062069403, Hardcover)

Angela Mathers is obsessed with visions of angels, supernatural creatures who haunt her thoughts by day and seduce her dreams by night. Released from a mental institution, she hopes her new university, West Wood Academy, will give her the chance at a normal life.

But such is not to be. . . . For a secret coven plots within West Wood, and demons and angels alike walk the streets of Luz, searching for the key to open Raziel's book—a secret tome from a lost archangel. Some wish to destroy Raziel, others, like the Supernal Israfel, one of the highest of the high, to free him. For when the Archon rises as foretold, they will control the supernatural universe.

Torn between mortal love and angelic obsession, Angela holds the key to both Heaven and Hell, and both will stop at nothing to possess her. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:46 -0400)

Angela Mathers, released from a mental institution, seeks a normal life at West Wood Academy free from her haunting visions of supernatural creatures, but becomes the focus of a secret coven who wishes to use her to fulfill a terrifying prophecy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,375,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible