Intangible by J. Meyers

Intangible

by J. Meyers

This was a very complex world with lots of things that go bump in the night. I liked that Luke and Sera were close twins with a special bond between them. I liked that there were lots of different types of beings in this world and most knew about each other. I didn't like that everyone kept secrets from each other. If it was vital to the twins that they keep a low profile, maybe someone should clue them in. Also, I understand way Sera thought she couldn't have any close friends, but how many times do we have to hear about it? I also thought that Marc's reaction was a bit over the top. Just saying...... ( )
  AlaskanBookie | Sep 23, 2013 |
Sera and Luke are siblings born with odd powers – he can see the future and she has the power to heal. They don’t know where they come from but they do know they need to keep them secret – at least, so they learned when they dared to confide in their grandmother.

But some secrets can’t last forever – especially as there’s a whole supernatural world out there they never knew about that is very interested in them and their unique powers. A world that begins to intrude when Luke predicts disaster – his own sister’s death.

Sera is also dealing with her own powers, her drive to heal causes people to like her automatically which isolates her – as she never knows whether someone’s emotion is genuine or she is exploiting her power. She has earned the animosity of the vampires and their terrible queen by being a potent weapon against them – and there’s a new boy in town who seems to be both attracted to her and immune to her powers; for the first time a genuine relationship seems possible.

But very little is as it seems – and even their closest friends and family are keeping secrets from them

The world is very rich and diverse and connected nicely. We have the fae – apparently several factions, gifted humans, vampires, Lillith, magic, an entire parallel world and who knows what else. In fact the closing chapter of the book suggests there’s a lot more on the horizon besides. The information is doled out really well. No long lectures, no convoluted info dumps, no dubious “as you know” lectures – and nothing told we don’t need to know. Every piece of information is relevant and just enough to keep you wanting more.

The pacing was really well done – the story kept both tense and interesting without having a lot of down time. We had a large chunk at the beginning where everyone was keeping their secrets, but things were still happening, plots were being advanced, characters were being developed, their powers were being show cased – the book kept moving even when not much plot-wise was happening. The story itself isn’t amazingly original – bad guys are hunting the Chosen Ones who don’t realise how special they are – but nor is it following too many old patterns and it brings enough richness, enough of a diverse world and enough original features for it not to be tired or over done. It’s an old concept but redressed nicely with unique elements.

The characters are interesting – they’re not perfect and their powers aren’t flawless gifts. They have a bit of Chosen One narrative about them which, so far, hasn’t added up to anything beyond people wanting to kill them in many painful ways, so it’s not irritating or frustrating (I generally don’t like “chosen one” narratives because it conveys a specialness on the character they don’t have to earn or do anything to be worthy of it – they just are because they’re the Chosen Ones). They’re generally, sensible – perhaps a little too much doing things on their own when unnecessary. Their relationships are real and they examine some real implications about their powers. While I think Sera angsts a little excessively about the implications of her powers she does raise a very real issue of how you can form a relationship of any kind with someone when you suspect your powers may be warping their emotions – it means any relationship, especially a romantic one, is built on a shaky foundation of coercion; I’m glad to see that acknowledged.

If I have a complaint about the world and characters is that there is an excess of secrecy going on. Given their powers, I don’t see why Fey – or anyone – could not have clued them in on their specialness a little sooner or at least given them a clue as to why they have their powers and what they mean (or even some hints on how to get the most out of them since there’s some suggestion of development). The secrecy seems more for the form than anything.

Read More ( )

Release Date : Jan 31st 2012
Publisher : Self-Pub!
Format : eBook/ ePub
Source :
**This eBook was provided from the author in exchange of an honest review**

My Opinion :

Intangible is a great debut novel.

I think the thing that made me want to read the book was mainly the book cover. I just love it sooooo much!

I don't get many eBooks for review, since, firstly, I can't take my Nook to school (*sighs and rolls eyes*) and also because I always forget about them :S BUT, Intangible looked too good to pass out on.

Intangible is about twins Sera and Luke. They both have powers; Sera can heal and Luke can See the future. They have always kept their powers secret every since Sera told their grand mother about her powers. Which didn't really go well. But now, everything is about to change, because Luke has Seen a vision of Sera dying. And his visions are never wrong.

Intangible was SUCH an entertaining debut. I found the time flying by while reading Intangible!

The writing in this book is fast-paced and keeps you turning the pages.

I found myself really loving Luke as a character; he was just so cute and hot and awesome. I just loved it when he was more in the book.

Sera was a surprisingly great character, although I don't understand why she should be the one to be in the Prophecy (which isn't explained a lot in the book, unfortunately :S)

You don't want to miss this book!

RATING

4 roses ( )
  ccathee17c | Jun 7, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this story. I think J. Meyers did a wonderful job taking something that we see a lot of (vampires, fey, elves, etc.) and giving it a unique spin. I loved having twins as the main characters for the story. Sera and Luke were the story. I don’t think it would have mattered what they encountered I would have enjoyed it as long as they were in it. The plot was fast paced and action packed. There was never a dull moment or something going on that wasn’t pivotal to the story.
Sera is able to use healing powers and Luke has visions of the future. They keep their powers mostly due to previous bad experience with how people handle it. With the power to heal Sera is less subtle about using her gifts being that even a touch from her can calm your mind.
I really liked the twins. Sera is head strong and stubborn but she also has a heart of gold. If someone asks her to help them she will not turn them away. She also doesn’t think twice about helping a person in need, even if it could mean her doom. Luke on the other hand is more cautious and protective of Sera. He is thoughtful but is not going to do anything that would even have the inkling of putting his family life in danger. Luke is almost burdened with his gift, being able to see the future but not being able to stop it. I feel like it gives his character a maturity that we don’t see as much in Sera.
Jonas, Fey and Marc were some of the main side characters. Each one unique in their own way and each one dealing with their own set of issues. Fey is Sera and Luke’s best friend. Well Sera’s best friend, I think Luke has his eye on her in a different way. She is supportive and wise beyond her years….hmm. She helps to keep things in perspective for Luke and Sera, especially when Sera has a tendency to get herself into sticky situations. Jonas is the dark brooding handsome type. I liked him as I do all handsome brooding types but there was something a little different about him. He isn’t necessarily cold to anyone but he is also not out to make friends. He has a little more of a leave me alone and I’ll leave you alone type of attitude. Of course poor Jonas a book cannot be made out of that. Marc was okay. I wasn’t particularly fond of him but he did have a good relationship with Sera. They have a lustful relationship going on but not too lusty.
Hooray for a love story with a twist! I did not expect things to turn out the way they did but I’m glad that they did. It was different but I don’t want to give it away. It’s one of those things where you might be sad, or you might happy, or maybe just reflective.
I like the writing, the lure, the characters and the unique way it’s all put together in this book. Plus it has one of those alluring covers I love so much. Add it to your TBR list especially if you like paranormal fantasy book. I look forward to future installments of this book.
I've downloaded Intuition which is a bonus story but I haven't read it yet.
  JenWitch | Apr 4, 2013 |
I've downloaded Intuition which is a bonus story but I haven't read it yet.
  JenWitch | Apr 4, 2013 |
"Shall she be the first to die, Seer?"

Twins Sera and Luke Raine have a well-kept secret—she heals with a touch of her hand, he sees the future. All their lives they’ve helped those in need on the sly. They’ve always thought of their abilities as being a gift.

Then Luke has a vision that Sera is killed. That gift they’ve always cherished begins to feel an awful lot like a curse. Because the thing about Luke’s ability? He’s always right. And he can’t do anything about it.

Sera and Luke are twins who have unique powers - she heals with a touch of her hand and he sees the future. All their lives they have used their special abilities to help those in need. But then Luke has a disturbing vision - Sera is killed, and now his gift has become a curse.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

J. Meyers's book Intangible was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

J. Meyers is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,726,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible