Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile…

Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile [Books 1 & 2]

by J. L. Bourne

Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile is the first zombie book I have read. I am a fan of the Walking Dead TV series, so when I ran across this book at a local bookstore, I was intrigued.

The book cover described its contents as the survival story of a naval aviator on his own after a zombie epidemic. I glanced through several pages. The diary format caught my attention. The purchase was a given at that point.

Finished reading it last night. As a former military officer myself, I felt a kinship to the protagonist in the story. With both the slower and faster parts of the story, the book kept my attention. The military terms were familiar (maybe nostalgic). I could agree with the reasoning and decisions made by the main character.

The descriptions of zombies for the most part were not overly graphic so I could read on without hesitation.

Other reviews critique misspellings and grammar challenges by the author. Intentional or not, I think it is consistent with a guy under duress in crumbling, dangerous surroundings. Some reviews comment that the main character appears to do everything right (maybe unrealistically) and has everything available that he needs. I viewed it part of staying alive. Given the build up to things falling apart, I think survivors would need to be very smart/capable to be able to survive and/or very lucky or the be the benefactor of others that were either very smart or very lucky.

I don't think this is a Spoiler... The story line for the 1st ten months of the diary was excellent. The remainder took a different and slightly unexpected twist, but was still engaging.

The ending was very unexpected and not consistent with build up to the end. Clearly there is potential material for a Book 3 which I understand comes out Fall 2012. Despite the mixed ending, I still look forward to reading Book 3.

Given that I read most of this book spread out over late evenings before going to sleep (yes, interesting dreams), I look forward to rereading the book to pick up details I likely missed. I understand the story incorporates real locations in southeast TX. As I reread the book, I look forward to keeping Google Maps nearby to reference. I think aerial photos of sites in the book should nicely compliment the reading. Great edition to my library, however I wish the book was hardbound. You should like it too if you like anything to do with zombies and a post-apocalyptic world.

Late update: Yes, rereading the book and cross referencing the book locations with close-up aerial photos on Google Maps is very interesting. Like adding another dimension to the book. Some of the site names are cryptic, but after some satellite map scrolling of roads and buildings looking for nearby matching sites, best matches can be found. Helps spark your imagination. It seems evident to me the author has actually been to the book's sites as descriptions seem realistic. Maybe a trend for future reading.

Late edit: This book actually comprises 2 parts/books thus "Origin to Exile". I read reviews of Day By Day Armageddon. That book is just Part/Book 1 of the double set. I can tell by those other reviews that some are referencing this 2 part book. If you buy this book, make sure to get "Origin to Exile" for the complete reading experience. ( )
  usma83 | Dec 20, 2011 |

Armies of undead have risen up across the U.S. and around the globe, there is no safe haven from the diseased corpses hungering for human flesh. But in the heat of a Texas wasteland, a small band of survivors attempt to counter the millions closing in around them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,741,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible