The Seven Ravens by Wilhelm Grimm

The Seven Ravens

by Wilhelm Grimm, Jacob Grimm, Lisbeth Zwerger (Illustrator)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All (9)
I thought that this story was enjoyable enough but not anything particularly exceptional. This is a traditional fairy tale, and it reads like one (although, the girl cutting off her own finger is definitely an exciting twist that we wouldn't expect in more recently written children's stories). The illustrations were interesting, and I thought that a couple of them were downright odd, but I still liked them nonetheless. All in all, I'd keep this book in my classroom, and I'd read it to my students, but I don't think that it's anything to write home about. ( )
  btbarret | Mar 15, 2017 |
I would use this in a 4th or 5th grade class. It's very short, and has a lot of elements of fairy tales in it. If I used it in a younger class, maybe 2nd or 3rd, then I would ask students questions about why we know this story is fiction. ( )
  AmandaJH | Mar 25, 2016 |
The Seven Ravens is a classic tale by the Brothers Grimm and was adapted by Laura Geringer. This folk tale is about a very special young girl who is, "as beautiful as the sun is hot, as brave as the moon is cold, and as gentle and faithful as the stars are bright." Her parents loved her very much, however she noticed that they were sad. One day she finds a trunk of beautiful clothes. There were seven shirts, the girl wore the smallest shirt to dinner to make her parents happy. Her parents got really upset and explained that when she was a baby they thought she was ill. She had seven brothers who woke her up. Their father wished that all of the brothers would turn into ravens and fly away. and they did. SO the girl went on a quest to find her seven brothers and return them home. In order for her parents to be happy again. This is such an excellent tale I do not want to spoil the ending. A much needed read. I enjoyed this book very much and you should always be careful for what you wish for. ( )
  Sleco | Nov 18, 2015 |
This Brothers Grimm tale is about a young girl who searches the world for her brothers who were turned into ravens. After sacrificing her finger, she was able to bring her brothers home. Though a dark story, The Seven Ravens is a story about perseverance and family love. ( )
  AleciaDesselle | Feb 21, 2014 |
A little girl discovers she has seven brothers who were turned into ravens when her father cursed them for being too loud when she was sick. the little girl goes on a quest to find her brothers and bring them back. This is a good tale of perseverance against many odds. ( )
  ecosborne | Mar 11, 2012 |

Grimm, Wilhelmprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Jacobmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zwerger, LisbethIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Franziska

A little girl walks to the end of the world to find her seven brothers and free them from enchantment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:51 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,023,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible