Gossip Girl, Psycho Killer by Cecily von…

Gossip Girl, Psycho Killer

by Cecily von Ziegesar

After reading this book I was torn between laughing in disbelief or throwing this book away never to be seen again. I couldn't decide, so I settled for both. This book is basically a gory mess. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy gore, but there should be a reason for it, and sadly, there is none in this book. ( )
  superducky | Mar 31, 2013 |
Cover Response At First Glance? Gag!

Why On Earth Did I Want To Read This Book? The sick cover and the bizzare summary

What Does This Make Me? Possibly a little nuts :i

Hence,The Dame's Rather Wacked Review:

Juicy, hot, freakin' preppies on pomegranate martinis and god-only-knows-what-else! This is an insider's guide to life in the fast lane of the forgotten and pushed-aside children of high-flying NYC parents. Teen aged children who, I might add, are deadly angry to the point of murder and madness.

Oh, how I loved this parody of the NYC life of those anxiety-ridden kids whose only consistency is private schools which over-cultivate and ignore them, charging them to the inth-degree in preparation for ivy league colleges and life in the fast lanes for which they've been born and (semi) bred. Here also is the petri dish for insanity and murder without reservation, reaction or consequence. Oh, it's the world of the pedigreed, pinched and pruned 'til it hurts bunch.

Laughable, fun and nauseating, this is a romp that has to be read with a grain of salt and at least a very Dirty Martini in hand. I loved it, choked on my olives and laughed all the way through! You have to get the book just for the frozen concoctions it mentions if nothing else.

Some of the really entertaining parts are reading about the trendy fashions, the menus, the over-the-top drinks, and the museum "artistes." I loved the raucous descriptions of baby blingers, day school uniforms, hair dressers, college placement counsellors; and, maids who covered and cleaned up without blinking an eye...well; naturally, because to admit awareness would mean they'd be looking for alternative employment.

Blair and Serena, the psychopathic protagonists primarily featured are not only murderous, they are social and fashion icons. Too funny, and too true to life. Everyone is drawn by the beautiful madwoman, aren't they? So much to chew on as a reader. And, who is the Gossip Girl, anyway? That's the question, and the answer lures us on (at least me) like a vintage Chanel bag. Or, perhaps I just wanted to know who else was getting their desserts...and how....

Having not seen the TV version of Gossip Girl, nor having read any of the previous books, may have put me at a disadvantage here. But, I can tell you that I hadn't read anything like this book before, and I enjoyed it tremendously as a change from the ordinary fare. Rather like trying steak tartare with a long-handled, monogrammed, silver teaspon from an antique Staffordshire bowl.

Highly recommended, I think. Or, maybe you just have to be a little odd and crazy to love the book. Or have been there in some fashion or another. (I'm Mom to 5 preppies who lived to tell their stories!)

It did get a little excessive...so that took it off the 5 star mark for me. But I appreciated the fact that it was tongue-in-cheek, at least in some part. And, it was fun having a twist of the knife.

You can see how the whole thing has made me blood thirsty and giddy just reading and reviewing it!

4.5 blood-curdling stars w/ a spiked heel

Deborah/YourBookishDame ( )
  BookishDame | Nov 26, 2011 |

Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live, go to school, play, and sleep-sometimes with each other. It's a luxe life, but someone's got to live it . . . until they die.

So begins Gossip Girl, Psycho Killer, a re-imagined and expanded slasher edition of the first groundbreaking Gossip Girl novel, featuring all new grisly scenes and over-the-top gore by #1 New York Times bestselling author Cecily von Ziegesar.

Just as in the original story, Serena returns from boarding school hoping to make amends with her BFF Blair Waldorf--things just haven't been the same since Nate Archibald came between them. But here's where our dark tale takes a turn: Serena decides that the only way for her to make things right with Blair is to eliminate Nate. If that means killing him, well, c'est la vie. Her attempted murder doesn't go unnoticed by Blair, however, who isn't about to let Serena kill whoever she wants-not when there's Cyrus Rose and Chuck Bass and Titi Coates and everyone else who's ever irritated Blair to get rid of first . . . .

American Psycho's Patrick Bateman has met his match in Manhattan's newest, most fabulous trendsetting serial killers, Blair Waldorf and Serena van der Woodsen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

A reimagined version of the first Gossip girl novel. Just as in the original story, Serena returns from boarding school hoping to make amends with her BFF Blair Waldorf--things just haven't been the same since Nate Archibald came between them. But here's where our dark tale takes a turn: Serena decides that the only way for her to make things right with Blair is to eliminate Nate. If that means killing him, well, c'est la vie. Her attempted murder doesn't go unnoticed by Blair, however, who isn't about to let Serena kill whoever she wants-not when there's Cyrus Rose and Chuck Bass and Titi Coates and everyone else who's ever irritated Blair to get rid of first.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible