Forsaken by Andrew Van Wey

Forsaken

by Andrew Van Wey

Fairly good story. The ending was a bit wordy, but I still enjoyed it. I would give it 4 stars if not for the 50 typos. ( )
  DonCranford | Dec 3, 2013 |
This book at times can be rather slow and slightly painful to get through. The story as a whole is creepy and the author does a good job of giving you a decent description of what is going on but it he leaves enough to the imagination to help the creepy along. There seemed to be a lot of extraneous chapters for some strange reason. I really enjoyed the ending and thought the whole thing was very well planned out and even though it was slow at times the build to the ending was fantastic. ( )
  demonite93 | Nov 19, 2013 |
Andrew contacted me through email and asked me if I would like to review his book. I, of course, said "yes". I didn't know Andrew and hadn't heard of his book, but this is not unusual. There are so many books out there and so little time to read. What I have to say is-- if you only have time to read one book-- read this one. It's worth it.

The Synopsis: For art professor Daniel Rineheart, life's a dream. His children's laughter fills the halls of his home, and his wife's embrace lulls him to sleep. But summer's end heralds the arrival of three disturbing omens. A lost bird, thousands of miles from home. A beautiful student with whom he shares an insidious past.

...and a mysterious painting, dripping with malignant secrets.

It wasn't the strangest creation he'd ever seen, but close. A girl with a wounded, sack-like face; a boy with pinhole eyes and a cruel sneer; and a distant shadow peering out from behind a dying tree, all stared back at him from that perfect painted canvas.

Yet it wasn't only the subjects that challenged him, but the riddle that came with it.

"Here in Art, Denial."

Four words shrouding a secret that awakens a surreal nightmare. Where objects from his past manifest in canvas and oil. Where painted clocks tick-tock away in the dark hours before dawn, and a missing dog whimpers from between the walls. Where the painted children leave the canvas to stalk the halls of his once quiet and happy home.

And where all answers lead back to a blind artist and an impossible creation, one that threatens to destroy his family and devour his sanity.

Forsaken lives up to all of the potential of the synopsis. The prologue sets the mood for the rest of the story, dark and tragic. What follows is a dark and scary story with all the creepiness one expects from a good horror novel. We follow Daniel down into the darkness beyond the painting and watch as his family is swallowed up too.

The reader is left wondering whether the painting is really supernatural or if Daniel's starting the long spiral into madness or both. The plot spirals in an effective manner that keeps you guessing until the end. The end wraps up the package with a satisfying bow.

Honestly, I was a little creeped out reading it at night, before bed, as is my custom. After the lights were out, I experienced some trepidation. Normally, I pass out without a second thought. To me, that screams success on the part of the writer. If you can make me lose sleep because I'm still thinking about the book- you win- and so do I.

I've seen lots of authors claim that their work is for fans of King, Koontz and Straub. This is the first time I've agreed. ( )
  Stacey.Turner | Jan 7, 2012 |
I am not a Stephen King fan so this book was off genre for me. Irrespective of that, I do think the writer has talent. The characters were interesting and the plot was fleshed out fairly well. The book had some editorial issues that made it hard for me to follow an already difficult story line.

I had the end figured out quite early so there was no real suspense. There are a couple of tangents in the story that I found superfluous. My rating is actually 3.5 stars.

I do recommend this author to Stephen King genre fans - it just didn't interest me that much. ( )
  honoliipali | Dec 31, 2011 |
I seem to be the odd one out as the other reviews felt this book was great.

Andrew has nice technical writing abilities. But the book just didn't sparkle for me. In places it revealed real talent from Andrew. However, overall, the characters didn't come alive or draw me into the story. ( )
1 vote smeagol23 | Dec 1, 2011 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Andrew Van Wey's book Forsaken was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Andrew Van Wey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,057,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible