We Are All Weird by Seth Godin

We Are All Weird

by Seth Godin

The central premise of this book is that mass marketing no longer meets most people, because most people do not occupy the 'center' but are apart of various tribes (Godin's book Tribes seems to be the exact same premise, though I have not read it). The implications that Godin draws for business is that rather than marketing for the center and trying to reach for the masses, that advertising and marketing are now personalized, and individualized.

This is a brief book, and the analysis is not particular deep, if somewhat provocative. I think what I liked is that Godin advocates a business model which aims at one's own local tribe, and the unique impact your creativity can make there. As a 'religious' I see implications for evangelism and the disentanglement of the church from civil religion. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Godin terms in this book is we are all weird which is true to a sense, he dives deeply into how people want things in Mass, as in all of us getting the same color car to make it easier on the factory to produce. But we don’t function that way, we want it our way. We want to watch what we want to watch. Not what is on network television. We want a unique product not just any run of the mill this one is just like all the rest. But how long will weird win out of mass, and when weird becomes mass, its only a matter of time before even more weird comes out to take back over mass ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Better than I expected. This is a remix of ideas about the long tail and re-write web packaged for marketing executives. It's not bad. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Pretty much in synch with The Elevator Pitch ! What as changed today is that many factors in our society have caused those Weird edges at the ends of the curve to spread to a point where we now have more Weird outside the box than the Normal on the inside. Behaviors change every days hence growing segment like Weird & Rich vs global ones as Mass & Normal ! In other words -which side are you on ? fighting for the "Status quo" or rooting for "Weird" ?
Definitely a wonderful book ...

Friday, Nov 11- 2011 ( )
  Fouad_Bendris | Dec 25, 2012 |

Seth Godin calls for the end of mass and for the beginning of offering people more choices, more interests and giving them more authority to operate in ways that reflect their own unique values. A celebration of choice, of treating different people differently and of embracing the notion that everyone deserves the dignity and respect that comes from being heard.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,330,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible