Mammoth Trouble by D. Robert Pease

Mammoth Trouble

by D. Robert Pease

This is a really well told story, full of action and excitement. If you love time travel, you’ll enjoy the way Noah jumps forward and backwards, and debates issues like the immutability of time (not in those words!). The context, world-building and plot are beautifully put together, and I can see Middle-Graders or their teachers, getting together to discuss how a Stone Age person would view our world, or ask how would you explain the internet to them.

The problem for me was that, once again, the fact I’m not a Middle-Grader rears its ugly head. I found the first two-thirds of the story irritating in its StarWars-Star Trek mash-up. For a grown up, there are a lot of predictable parts of stories from other things. But then, what are stories but retellings of old themes? It didn’t stop Shakespeare, after all. I have the same problem with His Dark Materials, so put my comments in that context. Having got over that two-thirds watershed, the story ripped along, and I paused only to admire Mr Pease’s magnificent descriptions of spacecraft flight and fight.

This has the promise of being a first-class series, so you’d better get started on it now! ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
Where was this book when I was a kid when I just never could wrap my imagination around the Sci-Fi genre? Be prepared for both boys and girls, and yourself, to easily be captured and taken deep into the Fantasy and Sci-Fi genre and never want to look back. Author D. Robert Pease is the Orson Scott Card of juvenile Sci-Fi and those reader’s who fell in love with Ender’s Game and his story will undeniably be hooked on the many adventures of Noah Zarc.
Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble is the story of Noah, a paraplegic with a levitating wheelchair, but you don’t really hear too much about his disability. His family, the Zarcs, live in a post-apocalyptic world where the earth has been destroyed at there is an evil guy, Haon, they are constantly going up against. They must travel back in time on to bring back a pair of each animal so they can rebuild the earth that has been left uninhabitable, and to do it without Haon stopping them.
Read full review at http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/book-reviews/noah-zarc-mammoth-trouble ( )
  crayolakym | May 25, 2014 |
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile ( )
  karlaihdez | Sep 20, 2013 |
This well-written sci-fi for middle graders rocks! Loved the concept, storyline, Pease’s clever play on the story of Noah’s Ark, and I especially loved twelve-year-old Noah. His wicked sense of humor and the courage he displayed during a run-in with killer robots won me over from the get-go, and my appreciation for him deepened when learning that he is also crippled. Technology from his futuristic world gives him mobility, but you get the sense even without these advancements Noah is not one that would allow his handicap to be an obstacle. Noah’s family members were also great characters. Their interaction, especially between the siblings, rang true, and the adventure was very fun. I highly recommend Noah of Zarc, and, middle grade teachers, I highly recommend that you add it to your summer reading list for your students. From quality to plot, it’s a winner! ( )
  Elise_Stokes | May 31, 2012 |
Like Noah, I found the entire concept of time travel in Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble confusing. The ability to switch ages and "jump" time was all too foreign and mind-boggling for me. By the end of the book, I still couldn't figure what had actually happened to Noah Zarc Snr. I also noticed the typos in the book. Usually, I'd dismiss the occasional two or three typos in some books, but I was surprised to find typos here and there as I turned the pages.

Despite all the "minuses" in Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble, the story is interesting. The climax had just the right amount of action and suspense. I especially enjoyed reading about the adventures of Noah. With his talents and daring character, he adds plenty of color to the story. What I couldn't understand was why his new friend had to be a girl. Why can't it just be a boy? The undercurrent caused by having a new girl friend can be done without in the story.

Besides Noah, his foe is another fascinating character. The author narrates the story in such a way that we can help feeling a twinge of sympathy for this foe. After all, in real life, most bad people have real reasons for why they do what they do. This foe is no different. The intentions for why he does what he does isn't actually outright evil. One can't help but pity him because he sincerely believes in his cause. As a reader, I even agreed to his cause when it was told from his point of view.

The main mysteries are resolved at the end of the story, although there is a somewhat open-ending for the foe in the story. Maybe this hints at a continuation in Book 2? Further run-ins between Noah and the foe would be interesting to read! ( )
  Sugarpeach | Jan 12, 2012 |

Noah lives for piloting spaceships through time, dodging killer robots and saving Earth's animals from extinction. Life couldn't be better. But the twelve-year-old time traveler learns it could be a whole lot worse. His mom is kidnapped and taken to Mars; his dad is stranded in the Ice Age; and Noah is attacked at every turn by a foe bent on destroying Earth... for the second time.

"Pease's strength as a storyteller lies in his ability to connect multiple time periods imaginatively, as well as Noah's excited, fast-paced narration." - Publishers Weekly

5 out of 5 Stars
"I enjoyed reading every page of Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble-- it's an exciting, fun, stay-up-all-night-reading kind of book." - Twelve-year-old Amazon Reviewer

"If I had read this book at age 10, I think it would have made me love SF just as much as reading Asimov did. If you like the non-stop action and humor of Rick Riordan's Olympians books, I think you'll also like Noah Zarc." - Sher A. Hart, book blogger and author

"This is a wild ride from the word 'Go'. I totally recommend this book to kids and adults, alike who enjoy falling into the pages of a book and being swept away in a world created just for them to enjoy. Great book!" - Susan Livingston, blogger at Fascinating Books

"It was loads of fun... What a splendid adventure!" - Cassie McCown, Amazon Reviewer

"Awesome book!" - Joe, Amazon Reviewer

Gold Medal Winner in the Christian - Fantasy/Sci-Fi Category, Readers Favorite Award, 2012Runner Up for Best Title, 2012 Up Awards

If you're looking for an out-of-this-world, action-packed adventure, and love such books as Percy Jackson, The Softwire, Artemis Fowl, or The Search for Wondla, then NOAH ZARC: MAMMOTH TROUBLE needs to be your next thrill ride.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:21 -0400)

D. Robert Pease is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,321,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible