A Practical Wedding: Creative Ideas for…

A Practical Wedding: Creative Ideas for Planning a Beautiful, Affordable,…

by Meg Keene

Highly recommend this book for newly minted brides-to-be. I would have liked to read this as a sort of kick-off to sane wedding planning. But even though I'm pretty far (okay, eighteen months) along into the wedding planning process, it was still good to be reminded about some of the fundamental truths of A Practical Wedding. For instance, nothing is more "traditional" than an at-home wedding with cake and punch, so don't get carried away thinking you have to do X Y or Z because it's Tradition! (And if someone actually gets upset because you flouted the almighty-but-really-just-created-by-the-wedding-industrial-complex Tradition, well, eff 'em!)

I highlighted some passages, found myself nearing tears at others (it's going to be a miracle if I don't burst into hot, happy tears during my vows, y'all!!!!) and have excerpted a sentence or two to keep nearby as the stress escalates -- so all in all, I think I got more than I could reasonably have expected from a pretty basic book on wedding planning. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Keene is definitely in Miss Manners's camp on most things, and so is perhaps inessential if you have read Miss Manners and are only worried about etiquette; they do diverge occasionally, but Keene also gets into the hows of practicality in a way that doesn't end up being exploitive of one's friends, unlike some other books I could name. ( )
  upstairsgirl | Mar 3, 2014 |
Meg Keene, creator of the blog A Practical Wedding, here sets forth her philosophy of weddings, which basically boils down to a few simple principles: (1) It’s not the greatest day of your life — or at least it shouldn’t be! (2) The only requirement for a perfect wedding is that you end up married at the end of it. And (3) it doesn’t have to cost your entire life’s savings! This book discusses wedding planning in light of these principles, from the engagement to the big day to the marriage that follows. It doesn’t delve too deeply into the details; for example, you’re not going to find a list of inexpensive-yet-chic venues or bakeries or stationery vendors here. Rather, this book takes a big-picture look at some of the most common wedding-related stressors and offers common-sense advice on how to rise above them.

Lately I’ve been very into wedding-related things. I watch all those bridal shows on TLC — “Say Yes to the Dress,” “Four Weddings,” “I Found the Gown,” etc. I’d like to blame some sort of external pressure, but I’m afraid I just like romantic stories and pretty dresses! While I enjoy these shows, though, I often find myself thinking that the women on them must be insane. Spending thousands of dollars on a wedding dress? Throwing a fit because the bridesmaids’ dresses don’t perfectly match the table linens? It’s a strange world we live in, folks. Well, this book is a wonderful antidote for all the wedding craziness out there! It really puts the wedding celebration in perspective without underrating the importance of marriage. It also offers advice on how to deal with the inevitable problems, like financial constraints and meddlesome relatives. I’m not married or engaged right now, but if and when I do take the plunge, I’ll definitely be referring to this book again!
  christina_reads | Sep 28, 2013 |
I needed this. For rational yet thoughtful perspective on an event that comes with huge expectations and price tags. ( )
1 vote Alyssa.Jocson | Aug 21, 2013 |

An Insanity-Free Wedding: It Can Happen!

Getting engaged is exhilarating…until it sets in that a wedding costs three times what you thought, and takes five to ten times the effort it reasonably should. And then there are the expectations: from calligraphy invitations to satin chair-covers, all those things that Must Be Done or everyone will be Horribly Offended. Or will they?

A Practical Wedding helps you create the wedding you want—without going broke or crazy in the process. After all, what really matters on your wedding day, what you’ll remember ‘til you’re old and gray, is not so much how it looked as how it felt. In this refreshing guide, expert Meg Keene shares her secrets to planning a beautiful celebration that reflects your taste and your relationship. You’ll discover:

The real purpose of engagement (hint: it’s not just about the planning) How to pinpoint what matters most to you and your partner DIY-ing your wedding: brilliant or crazy? Affording a wedding without having to cut your guest list How to communicate decisions with your family Why that color-coded spreadsheet is actually worth it

Wedding Zen can be yours. Meg walks you through everything from choosing a venue to writing vows, complete with stories and advice from women who have been in the trenches, the Team Practical brides. So here’s to the joyful wedding, the sensible wedding, the unbelievably fun wedding! A Practical Wedding is your complete guide to getting married with grace.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

"A Practical Wedding helps you create the wedding you want--without going broke or crazy in the process. After all, what really matters on your wedding day, what you'll remember 'til you're old and gray, is not so much how it looked as how it felt. In this refreshing guide , expert Meg Keene shares her secrets her secrets to planning a beautiful celebration that reflects your taste and your relationship."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible