The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control…

The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What… (2011)

by Kelly McGonigal

McGonigal provides a step-by-step program for identifying goals, strengthening self-control, and making lifelong changes, whether it's weight loss, financial health, stress reduction, conquering procrastination, being a better parent, or finding your focus.

English (31)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
Good book but not my favourite. My personal rating would be around 4.2 but I do not want to be too judgemental as the author puts in a lot of hard work to bring out the best advises for us.

I would have preferred if the book focus more time on the willpower to push through your business to get success or more stuff on the willpower to run a marathon. The book mainly focused on the willpower to diet or avoid smoking/doing bad things. ( )
  Wendy_Wang | Sep 28, 2019 |

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |

Kelly McGonigalprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dixon, WalterReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dixon, Waltersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Based on Stanford University psychologist Kelly McGonigal's wildly popular course The Science of Willpower, The Willpower Instinct is the first book to explain the new science of self-control and how it can be harnessed to improve our health, happiness, and productivity. Informed by the latest research and combining cutting-edge insights from psychology, economics, neuroscience, and medicine, The Willpower Instinct explains exactly what willpower is, how it works, and why it matters. For example, listeners will learn:

• Willpower is a mind-body response, not a virtue. It is a biological function that can be improved through mindfulness, exercise, nutrition, and sleep.
  • Willpower is not an unlimited resource. Too much self-control can actually be bad for your health.
  • Temptation and stress hijack the brain's systems of self-control, but the brain can be trained for greater willpower.
  • Guilt and shame over your setbacks lead to giving in again, but self-forgiveness and self-compassion boost self-control.
  • Giving up control is sometimes the only way to gain self-control.
  • Willpower failures are contagious - you can catch the desire to overspend or overeat from your friends­­ - but you can also catch self-control from the right role models.
In the groundbreaking tradition of Getting Things Done, The Willpower Instinct combines life-changing prescriptive advice and complementary exercises to help listeners with goals ranging from losing weight to more patient parenting, less procrastination, better health, and greater productivity at work.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kelly McGonigal's book The Willpower Instinct was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,621,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible