Awkward by Marni Bates

Awkward

by Marni Bates

A fun unassuming read with likable characters and humorous situations. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Hilarious, touching, observant, wonderful! Just like Marni herself. ( )
  NinaBerry | Mar 3, 2016 |
Okay, for the record, I loved, loved, loved this book! It made me laugh so hard. Pure 100% awesomeness.

I will post a full review later! ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Mackenzie Wellesley, 17, is a self-described geek who explains, “I fill a certain niche at my school, the local nerd.” Along with her best friends Jane and Corey (the cliché male gay friend), she navigates the social waters of Smith High School in Forest Grove, Oregon, by sticking with the Invisibles and avoiding the Notables (“who exist in a sphere of coolness”).

It so happens the most notable of The Notables, Logan Beckett, has hired Mackenzie as his history tutor, because she is not only a nerd, but a fiercely smart one. Mackenzie isn’t so impressed by him: “Being born rich with killer genetics isn’t exactly a personal accomplishment.” Rather, she has a crush on Patrick Bradford, even though he hasn’t shown her any positive attributes either except for having “melty chocolate eyes.”

Mackenzie’s greatest accomplishment, besides her grades, seems to consist of humiliating herself in public. She outdoes herself as the book begins, when she crashes into a football player, and then tries to give him CPR:

"I alternated between shouting for the nurse and yelling, ‘Does ANYONE know if I’m doing this right? AM I KILLING HIM RIGHT NOW? Can SOMEONE make sure I’M NOT KILLING HIM RIGHT NOW?!”

If you think this sounds hysterical, you wouldn’t be alone: in the story, someone has captured the whole episode on a phone and sent it to YouTube. Before long the whole country is laughing at Mackenzie. Worse yet, a hot boy-band named ReadySet picks up the clip and incorporates it into a video with their new all-the-rage song. Pretty soon, Mackenzie is about as far from invisible as you can get!

Will fame change Mackenzie? Will she have a metamorphosis? Will she get the guy? She messes up at first, but quickly recovers, and also learns to use what has happened to her for the best outcome.

Evaluation: This is a delightful, sweet book for tweens with a fun (if predictable) plot and a feel-good ending. There are good lessons for kids in this book, which provides an entertaining read for all ages. ( )
  nbmars | Dec 16, 2013 |
Review originally published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com
Book provided by publisher for review.

Mackenzie Wellesley has always tried to avoid attention, especially at school. High school is a rough place, and as a member of the "Invisibles", Mackenzie knows not to attract the notice of the "Notables". Well, she does tutor Logan - THE most coveted Notable (male) of them all, but that's business. They could never be friends. And her long-time crush Patrick (also a Notable) has no idea she exists. Mackenzie's not a total loner though, she has her two best friends Jane and Corey, and all is right with her world. Until the day she accidentally flattens a football star and attempts CPR. Pretty awkward, right? It gets worse: someone videoed the fiasco and once it hits YouTube, it's viral. Uh-oh. So much for being invisible.

As Mackenzie adjusts to the sudden spotlight, she grows as a person. Realizing that not all the results of her sudden fame are bad (free designer clothes to drool for? backstage passes to THE rock show? yeah, these are good), Mackenzie struggles to find a balance. Swinging too far into the frenzy, she overreacts by pulling back and landing in a massive awkward pit of "now-how-do-I-fix-this?" But through it all, she has a great group of friends, including Logan - though she realizes this just as she loses him. Mackenzie's journey to normalcy puts the teenage drama of high school into a unique light, and though parts of the story seem amazingly far-fetched, there's also a sense of "this could actually happen". It feels real. It has realistic situations that could very well happen in a high school anywhere in the USA. But it's also fun, it's quirky.

Mackenzie has her faults, and at times I wanted to shake her into seeing what was really going on. Thankfully, she has a cast of supporting characters to do that for me, and things start progressing as they should. Awkward isn't just the story of how one girl handles unexpected fame and popularity, it's also about the universe process of growing up and learning to be comfortable in your own skin. There are so many people who haven't learned this yet, and I always appreciate when I find books that relay the message so winningly. The sneak peeks in the back of the book have me eagerly awaiting the next Marni Bates release! ( )
  RivkaBelle | May 10, 2012 |

Mackenzie Wellesley has spent her life avoiding the spotlight. At Smith High, she's the awkward junior people only notice when they need help with homework. Until she sends a burly football player flying with her massive backpack and makes a disastrous - not to mention unwelcome - attempt at CPR. Before the day is out, the whole fiasco explodes on YouTube. And then the strangest thing happens. Suddenly, Mackenzie is an Internet sensation, with four million hits and counting. Sucked into a whirlwind of rock stars, paparazzi, and free designer clothes, she even catches the eye of the most popular guy at school. And that's when life gets really interesting...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

When a humiliating accident at school is captured on video and posted on the Internet, clumsy Mackenzie is turned into an overnight Internet sensation, and is sucked into the world of rock stars, paparazzi, and worldwide popularity.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible