Remarkable by Elizabeth Foley

Remarkable

by Elizabeth Foley

BRCSBooks | Dec 17, 2013 |
Jeb tended to get angry when he was hungry--a condition known as "being hangry." ...from p.145

I know this condition well. The most dangerous place for anyone would be between me and my food.

As you might imagine, etiquette experts tend not to be particularly fun, kind, or loving--which is why they should never be parents. But the etiquette experts never understand this, and so they often have children anyway. ...from p.233

Zing!!

This was a nice enough story of a young girl learning to appreciate and accept herself. It's possible the younger me may have liked this book a little more. There's certainly plenty to swoon over. Pirates! A sea monster! Misfits! This would be a fun read-aloud too. It's just...I found it impossible to relate to Jane Doe (our protagonist) and the town is filled with snooty, holier-than-thou types. Yikes!

In my family, a book like this could maybe serve as a sort of cautionary tale. Jane Doe is a doormat and lets anyone and everyone shit all over her. Don't be a Jane.

Quick note: I received this book courtesy of Goodreads' First Reads program. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
Cute concept, nicely executed. Middle-grade mysteries are just not my thing, though, no matter how clever they are. Witness my failure to warm up to [b:The Westing Game|902|The Westing Game|Ellen Raskin|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1347493933s/902.jpg|869832] with which I have seen this book compared. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Illustrated Review
In the town of Remarkable, everyone is just that—remarkably talented, remarkably intelligent, remarkably strong or even remarkably good-looking—except 10-year-old, completely ordinary Jane Doe… Continue reading → ( )
  bibliovermis | Feb 23, 2013 |
Jane is the only average girl in a town where everyone is remarkable. She is soon befriended by the Grimlet Twins and the three of the adventure as they try to help others and save the town lake serpent named Lucky. The story clearly has an ulterior motive in telling us that everyone is special, even if they might not recognize that it is so. Jane might be average but her adventures with the troublemaking Grimlet Twins depict a girl who is resourceful, kind, and smart in ways that others aren't. Written with great details that don't overwhelm, children will enjoy discovering who Jane really is just as Jane discovers it herself. Written for middle school aged children, those who are looking for adventure stories or who might be a little distanced from their peers will enjoy this book. Recommended. ( )
  jjpionke | Dec 6, 2012 |

A wonderfully whimsical debut that proves ordinary people can do extraordinary things

In the mountain town of Remarkable, everyone is extraordinarily talented, extraordinarily gifted, or just plain extraordinary. Everyone, that is, except Jane Doe, the most average ten-year-old who ever lived. But everything changes when the mischievous, downright criminal Grimlet twins enroll in Jane's school and a strange pirate captain appears in town.

Thus begins a series of adventures that put some of Remarkable's most infamous inhabitants and their long-held secrets in danger. It's up to Jane, in her own modest style, to come to the rescue and prove that she is capable of some rather exceptional things.

With a page-turning mystery and larger-than-life cast of characters, Lizzie K. Foley's debut is nothing short of remarkable.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:28 -0400)

Ten-year-old Jane Doe, the only student average enough to be excluded from the town of Remarkable's School for the Remarkably Gifted, is joined at her public school by the trouble-making Grimlet twins, who lead her on a series of adventures involving an out-of-control science fair project, a pirate captain on the run from a mutinous crew, a lonely dentist, and a newly constructed bell tower that endangers Remarkable's most beloved inhabitant--a skittish lake monster named Lucky.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible