Enemy in Blue by Derek Blass
692173,491 (4)None

I must admit, while reading the initial grisly scene in Enemy In Blue, I thought, “My, Derek Blass is taking some artistic license here. I mean, this Shaver, all these witnesses. Come on, who would do this?” Quickly I realized that’s the point. The antagonist, Colin Shaver, represents individuals in our society who lack empathy and remorse and are bent on dominance and control, playing by their own twisted set of rules to gain it. Shaver, who Blass eloquently describes as “a remote, heartless human being stranded on his own island of hate,” believes he is above the law. Unfortunately he is the law.

Sergeant Shaver’s shocking crime initiates a chain reaction of violence in which heroes and villains come and go—usually in a body bag— and eventually ends in a courtroom. This half of the story is reminiscent of a Law & Order episode, and where Blass’s writing talent and legal expertise really shines. Blass is clearly a brilliant person and creates a brilliant trial for Shaver, with a cross-examination that had me on the edge of my seat waiting for Shaver to blow it (I won’t tell you if he did or didn’t). I really appreciate Blass’s ability to subtly educate the reader without weighing down his high-octane story. His clean, uncluttered writing style adds to the nail biting you’re adapt to do while reading this gritty thriller, because Blass doesn’t give you a chance to breathe. In other words, everything in the story is relevant to the story, another thing I really appreciate.

Word of warning to younger readers. If you can't watch movies like Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Bastards, you'll have to wait on this one. If you can, enjoy. ( )
  Elise_Stokes | Feb 6, 2012 |
The guys in blue are supposed to be the good guys. What if they aren’t? What one cop went rogue and took matters into his own hands? What if this vigilante justice, corruption, and racism ran much deeper than just one man?

A cameraman shooting one of those reality cop shows tags along on what seemed like a pretty routine night. At first, he’s focused on getting the best angles for the greatest effect. Then, suddenly he is told to turn off the camera. Point blank, one of the cops shoots an old man. Not a criminal, just some old man who didn’t understand English.

The thing is, the camera wasn’t actually turned off. The cameraman got the whole thing on tape. Once that becomes common knowledge, the cover up begins. More lives will be lost before any of this goes to trial. Will justice be served?

Of course, we all know that racism is alive and well. Moreover, on the news, we’ve all seen cases of corruption in the very systems that are supposed to protect us. I think Enemy in Blue just looks at the depths of those possibilities and how quickly things can get pretty complex. Frankly, it’s pretty scary. ( )
  trbrady | Sep 21, 2011 |

READER'S CHOICE REVIEW

"With so many people praising this book, why do you need to hear from me? I'm writing this review because this book meets my 300 rule, i.e. 300 years from now, people will still be reading it, and still hooked page after page. It's a rare author that does that for me." -R.Matejek (5/5 stars)

PRAISE FOR ENEMY IN BLUE,  A THRILLER
(130,000 WORDS LONG--PLENTY OF MEAT ON THIS BONE)

"For action, body-count and digging into the underworld of police politics -
this is really a great read. However, I think the best asset of the
novel is the incredible drawing of the antagonist - the evil Sergeant
Shaver really shines." -K.Hall, author of Red Mojo Mama (5/5 stars)

"The plot is as gripping as it is chilling. The story flows smoothly, and each chapter ends with the perfect amount of suspense to keep you wanting more. A fantastic and exciting read, as I could not put the book down." -B.Burton (5/5 stars)

"A great first thriller for this young author. I would compare this story to John Grisham's book of 'The Innocent Man.' It is that captivating and more."
-M. Bautista (5/5 stars)

"The first half of the book is non-stop action, raw, gritty, and
suspenseful...I could not imagine what the 2nd half
would hold. Turns out it's a legal thriller, with suspense building
more slowly but just as captivating." -Tx Rose (5/5 stars)

YOU KNOW WHO YOUR ENEMY IS?

The streets aren't safe when your enemy wears a blue uniform and a gold badge.

What if the good guys weren't good?

What if a cop went rogue and killed an innocent man?

What if it was all caught on video and the cop would do anything to cover it up?

Chase this lawless cop through the streets and to a scintillating final courtroom showdown with Cruz Marquez, a young attorney trying to nail down his enemy in blue.

Find out if justice is served...

READERS CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

"This was a page-turner from beginning to end." -S.Owen, professional reviewer for Paper Mustang (5/5 stars)

"The plot plays out like an episode of Law & Order -- with a shot or 2 of tequila." -David F. (5/5 stars)

"Enemy in Blue grabbed me from page one and didn't let go until the last page was turned. I had to keep reminding myself that this was a debut novel.... because it read like many of the seasoned legal thriller authors that I love to read and get lost in." -K.Velte (5/5 stars)

"Much like the script of an action-packed movie, Enemy in Blue will
buffet you from one hair-raising scene to another -- and will always
leave you pondering, who's the real enemy?" -L.Capritta

For anyone craving an action-packed thriller who can't get their fill of John Grisham, Tom Clancy or James Patterson...ENEMY IN BLUE is your next escape!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible