Hailee (Montana Skies V3) by Penny Zeller

Hailee (Montana Skies V3)

by Penny Zeller

I am just going to borrow from other's reviews as they said it best: Cindy Sproles, "This cozy-weekend read weaves a romance filled with all the elements of a winner - love, strife, joy and trust"; Amanda Cabot, "Engaging characters and heartfelt faith messages make Penny Zeller's "Hailee" a memorable conclusion to the Montana Skies trilogy". I couldn't have said it better when it comes to describing this story and series. It is a series I will keep on my shelf and recommend to others.

Hailee Annigan at a young age found herself stealing food on the streets of Cincinnati to keep her two younger brothers fed. She will eventually get caught and sent to a home for orphaned children. She is now 19 years old and finding herself heading to Montana to begin teaching at Pine Haven (a town you will become quite familiar with if you read books one and two in this series). She has never given up trying to find her two brothers though and is ashamed of her past and so tries to keep it hidden when she begins this new adventure to Montana.

In Pine Haven you will find the former high society Boston gentleman, Maxwell Adams Jr., the new church pastor. He is trying to make a difference in this small town and praying some day his parents will understand his calling to preach the gospel. When these two young people meet you realize the attraction that is taking place. It is not without its ups and downs though, but when they come to terms with their pasts they will face a wonderful future together.

Well done Penny Zeller. A series that left me glad I visited Pine Haven, Montana and learned to appreciate the folks there and the faith they shared and the difference they made. ( )
  judyg54 | Aug 11, 2014 |
Hailee is book three in the Montana Skies series by Penny Zeller.

In this volume we meet Hailee, an orphan with two younger brothers. Because they were left on their own, she took on the responsibility of her little brothers. Eventually, Hailee is separated from them through bad choices she made, and was taken to a home for delinquents. There her life is changed despite her rebellion.

We meet Hailee in 1893 when she is nineteen and setting out to make a life for herself as a teacher. Through her memories of guilt and shame, and her learning to accept God’s forgiveness, we learn about her past and her heartache over still not knowing the whereabouts of her brothers.

There is another main character in this story. Nate, although brought up in Boston’s high society, chose to live a much simpler life as a pastor in a small rugged town – much to the great displeasure of his parents. He loves his new life among the varied and interesting personalities in the little town in Montana.

Hailee and Nate come from very different backgrounds, so when their paths intersect their lives take an interesting turn. There is drama, danger, love, family conflict, and more.

The reader is invited along in the journey in a way that makes one unwilling to leave the story even when necessary. Penny Zeller created characters who are believable, scenes that are well-described, and unfolding drama that keeps the pages turning. She subtly presents the message of God’s love and grace in a gentle and convincing way, making this an enjoyable read.

Although Hailee is book three of the Montana Skies series, the first two books are not needed to make this one understandable; the author neatly ties them all together. Having said that, once you read Hailee you will probably want to read McKenzie and Kaydie. ( )
  Polilla-Lynn | May 16, 2014 |
I was drawn to the main character Hailee from the beginning. Her story of sorry, love and sacrifice for her younger brothers endeared her to me right away. I was captivated
by the circumstances that led her ultimately to Pine Haven as the new teacher, and her reluctance to build the relationship between her and Nate due to her fear of others learning of the sins in her past.

Nate has his own issues to deal with as he tries to follow God's plans for his life in spite of what his parents plans for him. I liked how the author showed that although he was determined to be obedient to God's call on his life, he was never disrespectful when speaking with his parents. Although I could see how it would be tempting when they refused to acknowledge his chosen profession, or the fact that as a grown man he should be able to determine his own way in life and choose not to follow in his father's footsteps. I admired his honesty and willingness to seek help from his Uncle when uncertain, and his faith in God even during difficult situations.

Both Hailee and Nate are believable characters, both have a faith in God and make for an interesting story well worth reading. Once again, author Penny Zeller has written a wonderful piece of Christian Fiction with a sweet, heartwarming romance thrown in. I definitely recommend this book, and this series to any CF lover! ( )
  Lovez2read | Oct 2, 2012 |
There is always a feeling of great excitement and anticipation when I go to the Post Office and find the latest book by Penny Zeller waiting there for me. I was not disappointed when I picked up my copy of Hailee either. I could barely wait to drive home, crack open the cover, and begin reading. The pages flew by all too quickly and I reached the final page long before I was ready for it.

Once again, Penny has written an emotional and heart-warming story of love and adventure in the vast open spaces of the Montana frontier. The descriptions of life in in the late 1800s are so vivid that you feel as if you are one with the story. I became so engrossed in the plot that I ceased to feel like a spectator, but instead felt as if I were living the story right alongside Hailee.

Hailee and Nate are both such likeable characters that you can't help but desire for them to be together. Hailee, however, feels unworthy of Nate's love because she has a secret past. When that past is inadvertently revealed to the townspeople and the parents of her students, Hailee's chance of a future with Nate seems doomed. Can Hailee expect mercy from those whom she has deceived? Will Nate be able to forgive her for her wrong-doing?

What Hailee and the citizens of Pine Haven fail to take into consideration is that the misdeeds of her youth have long been forgiven and forgotten by the only One who truly matters. Since God has forgiven her, is it wrong for Hailee to hope that Nate will do likewise? Why won't the residents of the town that Hailee has already grown to love forgive her too?

Many years ago, the English poet Alexander Pope wrote the words, "To err is human, to forgive Divine." This is the truth that Penny Zeller has so ably portrayed in the pages of Hailee. God's forgiveness is easily obtained but it is the job of the Great Deceiver, the Father of Lies, to try to convince us that our sins are so vile that forgiveness is not possible. For a story that truly depicts the reality of Christ's mercy and forgiveness, I recommend that you read this excellent book. ( )
  HisChild | Oct 9, 2011 |
Penny Zeller is an author whom I had never heard of until I started reading book blogs, but the more I read about her christian books the more I wanted to read one. Luckily for me I had the opportunity to read "Hailee" and all I can say is what a wonderful storyteller. It is so easy to see how God works thru Penny. The stories she weaves allows us to relate to characters who are struggling with personal issues, but those characters realize that God truly has the answers, a reminder that we all can use from time to time.
The story "Hailee" transports us back to July 1893. Hailee Annigan is about to embark on a new future, while she is excited to begin her new life as a teacher in Pine Haven Montana, she hates to leave Cincinnati not knowing what happened to her two brothers, Philip and Reuben. You see Hailee and her brothers were orphaned as children, and when Hailee provides food for her siblings the only way she knew how,by stealing, she is caught, which caused her to be taken to The Sanctuary of Promise a home for wayward children, a place that literally changed her life. The only problem was she was separated from her brothers Philip and Reuben that day and has no idea what happened to them. Now its years later and as she leaves Cincinnati she wonders if she will ever see her brothers again. When she arrives in Montana, she meets Nate Adams the preacher who hired her. The two hit it off and Nate starts to have feelings for Hailee, but Nate comes from a prominent background, and Hailee is afraid that her background may come out and she will be judged because of it. Will Nate and Hailee find true love together? Will Hailee ever find her brothers again?
"Hailee" is the third book in Penny Zeller's Montana Skies series but can easily be read as a stand alone work. I haven't read the first two books but had no problems following this story. I loved the way the author uses words to paint a picture of the story she is telling. I could just envision the scenes of the book playing out in my head. From Hailee cutting her hair to alter her appearance when she was stealing food, or when she stole her teachers wig. I could also feel the desperation that she must have felt knowing her brothers relied on her but she was unable to go back to them that final time.I liked the way the author used flashbacks to reveal the main characters past.The two main characters were easy to like. Nate's parents wanted him to be a lawyer, but he wanted to become a minister and moved away from his family to accomplish his goal, although I think his parents believed he would tire of the life and come home for his schooling. Hailee's joy in landing a teaching job was tempered by the fact that she may never find out what happened to her brothers if she left Cincinnati.
I was totally delighted with this story and the positive christian themes that were woven through out. If your a fan of historical fiction that have wonderful characters a positive message and a nice romance woven in then run out and purchase the Montana Sky Series, because if your like me you are going to want to read all three books! Highly recommended! ( )
  kittycrochettwo | Sep 26, 2011 |

"When Hailee Annigan comes to Pine Haven as the new schoolteacher, an unexpected romance arises, but she needs to forgive herself, with the help of God, for some parts of her past before the relationship can be realized"--Provided by publisher.

Penny A. Zeller is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,629,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible