Lone Star Trail by Darlene Franklin

Lone Star Trail

by Darlene Franklin

What happens when two families, who have experienced tragedy and loss, and are from very different backgrounds are thrown together?

It is 1845, the Morgans are Texans through and through. They raise the famous Morgan Horses on their ranch, the Running M Ranch and have fought hard and sacrificed much to be the successful ranchers that they are. The Fleischer family have traveled from Germany and just arrived in Texas. This foreign land has taken much from them in the short time they have been here. Jud Morgan carries bitterness and distrust for the Germans who have begun to overtake "his" Texas. But his eyes are opened to the Lord's love for all people when he accepts the friendship of the Fleischers. Especially when the eldest daughter, Wande, catches his eye. It becomes apparent that the Lord brought these two families together. To work and live side by side to survive the untamed land of the "Lone Star State".

I couldn't put this book down! Depending on the personal events of our family, it usually takes me a little while to complete a book, no matter how interesting it is. But with this book, I couldn't help it. The dishes piled up, the laundry went unwashed and I read every second I could. Darlene Franklin captured my attention from the start. I always enjoy reading about this particular time era, when families are venturing into unknown land to build a new life. And Lone Star Trail did not disappoint. I look forward to reading the rest of the Texas Trails series and continuing the Morgan family adventure!

As part of their Blogger Review program I received a free copy of Lone Star Trail from Moody Publishers. All opinions expressed are mine alone. ( )
  BookwormMama14 | Jun 15, 2015 |
Sometimes inspirational romance can be a little heavy handed or "over the top" (i.e. the spirit of the Lord told me to forgive my rapist and offer him supper, etc.), but this managed to be inspirational without scaring away the non or mildly religious crowd.

This historical romance follows a family of German immigrants as they settle in Texas, the newest state in the Union. Things begin badly when one of the children, Ulla, dies upon arrival. As they try to move inland their wagon breaks and they have to rely upon the kindness of a strange family. Even though it is Christmas, the Morgan family takes in the Fleischer family until they can find a house to live in. Jud, the oldest son (and head of the Morgan Ranch since his father's death) resents the immigrants coming to Texas and snatching up all the land. His view begins to change though, when he notices how pretty the eldest German daughter is. It just goes to show that offering Christian charity and hospitality can open many doors. An uplifting and romantic read.

I received this book for free in return for my honest, unbiased opinion. ( )
  ecataldi | Dec 21, 2013 |

The six-book series about four generations of the Morgan family living, fighting, and thriving amidst a turbulent Texas history spanning from 1845 to 1896 begins with Lone Star Trail.  Although a series, each book can be read on its own.

Judson "Jud" Morgan's father died for Texas' freedom during the war for independence. So when the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas (the Verein) attempts to colonize a New Germany in his country, he takes a stand against them.

After Wande Fleischers' fiancé marries someone else, the young fraulein determines to make a new life for herself in Texas. With the help of Jud's sister Marion, Wande learns English and becomes a trusted friend to the entire Morgan family.

As much as Jud dislikes the immigrant invasion, he can't help admiring Wande's character. She is sweet and cheerful as she serves the Lord and all those around her. Can the rancher put aside his prejudice to forge a new future?  Through Jud and Wande, we learn the powerful lessons of forgiveness and reconciliation among a diverse community of believers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

"The six-book series about four generations of the Morgan family living, fighting, and thriving amidst a turbulent Texas history spanning from 1845 to 1896 begins with Lone Star Trail. Judson (Jud) Morgan's father died for Texas' freedom during the war for independence. So when the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas (the Verein) attempts to colonize a New Germany in his country, he takes a stand against them. After Wande Fleischers' fiancee marries someone else, the young fraulein determines to make new life for herself in Texas. With the help of Jud's sister Marion, Wande learns English and becomes a trusted friend to the entire Morgan family. As much as Jud dislikes the German invasion, he can't help admiring Wande. She is sweet and cheerful as she serves the Lord and all those around her. Can the rancher put aside his prejudice to forge a new future? Through Jud and Wande, we learn the powerful lessons of forgiveness and reconciliation among a diverse community of believers."--… (more)

Darlene Franklin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,732,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible