Jerry Heasley's Rare Finds: Mustangs & Fords…

Jerry Heasley's Rare Finds: Mustangs & Fords (Cartech)

by Jerry Heasley

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Realistically, I can’t give Jerry Heasley’s Rare Finds: Mustangs & Fords a fair review. I read it with the misplaced hope that I could relate to its subject matter based on universal feelings of euphoria any collector feels when he finds a treasure. I was mistaken. I am not a car buff. I am, or have been, a collector of comic books, baseball cards, CDs and records. However, what I felt from reading story after story of finding Mustang after Mustang was not equivalent to the thrills I felt in finding an old Superman comic book at a garage sale.

Having laid those cards on the table, I’ll proceed with my review.

I might have enjoyed the book more if it wasn’t so narrowly focused. The hay-day of collectible Mustangs was from the mid-60s to the mid-70s. In that time, the body style really didn’t change all that much. So finding a 1960s Mustang under a toadstool or an early 1970s Mustang under a bed didn’t really spark my imagination. If the book was one about finding vintage cars from the 1940s and 1950s – particularly from automobile companies that were short-lived or absorbed into one of the Big Three – I would have found it much more fascinating.

And the condition of most of these cars! My gosh, when I would find that Superman or Green Lantern comic book at a garage sale it was in one piece. Not these things. How one can find a half-shell, restore it and feel like you own a classic car is beyond me. It would seem to make more sense just to start from scratch, perhaps with a seal of approval from the original auto manufacturer.

There’s also a lot of jargon in these stories that will mean nothing to a detached reader.

So, I just have one last thing to add: Is there a book that chronicles the adventures of finding old comic books? ( )
  mhrybka | Jun 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thrill to the chase of discovery of thirty classic automobiles just needing to be collected and restored! Adventures on searching for and restoring these great triumphs of auto engineering. Details of what had to be fixed and what replaced and all sorts of lively information. A must for fanciers! ( )
  jhhymas | May 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a great book that helped me deepen my appreciate for this wonderful model. Growing up in a family where having a mustang was must, this book was fantastic. I would highly recommend it for anyone who even just an interest in mustangs. ( )
  weejane | May 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from Jerry Heasley through the LibraryThing Giveaways in exchange for a review. I had never heard of Jerry before but thought this would be an interesting read.
I enjoyed reading about the great hunt for these hidden treasures. It includes interesting stories and wonderful colourful photographs. He writes about lost treasures long forgotten.
This is a book that will be greatly enjoyed by car buffs. ( )
  coffeenut1992 | Apr 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great read for a Ford and Mustang fan, and particularly inspiring for an aspiring collector, or someone who just fantasizes about collecting and/or restoring their classic favorites. ( )
  slagolas | Mar 19, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jerry Heasley's book Jerry Healsey's Rare Finds - Mustangs and Fords was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,383,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible