The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty

The Hypnotist's Love Story

by Liane Moriarty

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All (61)
Best for: Someone who wants a quick read with some interesting explorations of loss.

In a nutshell: Ellen (they hypnotist) has just started a relationship with Patrick. Patrick’s wife died seven years ago, when their son was only a year old. Saskia was Patrick’s first relationship after his wife died, and after they broke up, Saskia began to stalk Patrick. It continues.

Line that sticks with me: “You weren’t meant to admit, even to yourself, how badly you wanted love. The man was meant to be the icing, not the cake.”

Why I chose it: I’d downloaded it during my Liane Moriarty phase two years ago but never got around to reading it. But I was just on a cruise, so it was perfect.

Review:
This book reminds me a bit of “What Alice Forgot” in that it doesn’t quite follow what I now consider the Liane Moriarty formula: two or three interweaving story lines told out of order with a great mystery revealed. This has elements of it, but felt fresh to me.

I enjoyed the storytelling and the elements of mystery - some characters pop up unexpectedly - but the main plot felt a bit deeper than one might expect from a beach read (which is where I think her books often end up). Saskia is a stalker, and in general I wouldn’t be interested in their perspective. And she is not made out to be any sort of victim, but as the story progresses, I think we start to recognize that her motivation is more complicated. But that said … if the genders were reversed, I’m not sure if I would feel as much empathy for Saskia as I found myself feeling. And regardless of the amount, is it odd to feel any at all?

The book also looks at how we view losses differently when it comes to an unwanted break-up versus a death. We all carry bits of previous relationships, but when someone leaves us through death, they can become canonized. And the next person who dates the one left behind is there because the previous person isn’t. How do you handle that? How long ‘should’ one grieve a death? And is there a particular reason why we allow for more grief over a death than over the end of a long-term relationship? Is it reasonable to expect someone to get over being left in a few weeks when they thought they had a life with someone? And how can their grief be directed in a healthy way. Moreover, how does it all change when there are kids involved?

I enjoyed this book a lot. The ending was satisfying to me, although I could have seen it ending differently and also being enjoyable. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 30, 2017 |
The last part of this book finally made it worth reading. The build up to the big "event" just droned on a bit too much. Too much analysis of every action on the part of Ellen and Saskia. I'm not sure why the author chose to do one in third person and the other in first person. I really like this author though - in this book and others of hers that I've read, she does a great job making me feel like the characters could exist in my own circle of friends. I think she just missed the mark on this one in terms of story telling. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Fun book. ( )
  INorris | Jun 8, 2017 |
Another great book by Liane Moriarty! I struggled a bit to get into the characters in this book. To be honest, I really hated Ellen and Patrick for a large chunk of the book. Despite my struggles, I found the book engaging and interesting. ( )
  jess_reads_books | Apr 17, 2017 |
3.5 ( )
  staceyfronczak | Mar 12, 2017 |
One is very crazy when in love.  --Sigmund Freud
For George and Anna
When people think of hypnosis, they think of swinging pendulums.

"Ellen O'Farrell is an expert when it comes to human frailties. She's a hypnotherapist who helps her clients deal with everything from addictions to life-long phobias. So when she falls in love with a man who is being stalked by his ex-girlfriend she's more intrigued than frightened. What makes a supposedly smart, professional woman behave this way? She'd love to meet her! What she doesn't know is that she already has. Saskia has been masquerading as a client, and their lives are set to collide in ways Ellen could never have predicted.This wonderfully perceptive new novel from Liane Moriarty is about the lines we'll cross for love. It's about the murky areas between right and wrong, and the complexities of modern relationships. As Ellen is about to discover, we're all a little crazy - even her." -- Book cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Liane Moriarty's book The Hypnotist's Love Story was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible