The Hypnotist's Love Story: A Novel by Liane…

The Hypnotist's Love Story: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

Member:KeriLynneD
Title:The Hypnotist's Love Story: A Novel
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Berkley (2013), Edition: Reprint, 466 pages
Rating:*****

The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty

English (75)  Dutch (1)  All languages (76)
Not my favourite Moriarty novel. She's great, as usual, on writing strong characters, but this lacks a convincing plot. There aren't any real plot twists or surprises: just a few bends and curves. I found it overly long. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Dec 22, 2018 |
Audible audio performed by Tamara Lovatt Smith

Ellen O’Farrell works out of her home as a professional hypnotherapist. She likes her life, except for a failed romance. She’s moved on but would welcome another shot at a long-term relationship. Then she meets Patrick. They hit it off and things are going well when he spouts the dreaded “We need to talk.” Turns out Patrick has an ex-girlfriend who is stalking him.

What an interesting and fresh take on relationships and the psychology of love. What makes us attracted to one another? What holds us together? What happens when one partner moves on, but the other hangs on – desperately, crazily, dangerously?

The relationships between these three people – Patrick, Ellen and Saskia (the ex-girlfriend) – are complicated by misinterpretation, jumping to conclusions, and secrets kept from one another. They are all broken in some way, and all trying to come to grips with past and current relationships. And it will take a significant crisis to finally bring some sense of resolution, however tenuous.

Tamara Lovatt Smith does a fine job narrating the audiobook. However, Moriarty switches point of view between the two women. In the text it’s a little easier to tell when she switches. One character’s perspective is always written in first person, the other in third person narrative. However, there is much dialogue in which a character would naturally speak in first person. (e.g. “I went to the store.”) While this is easy to discern on the printed page, it’s less obvious when listening. Not the narrator’s fault at all, but it still adversely affected the audio experience. I would probably have rated this higher if I had read the text rather than listened. ( )
  BookConcierge | Nov 30, 2018 |
While the story drew me in and I wanted to know how it ended, I didn't really enjoy this book. Very disappointing in that I've read several other of Moriarty's books and really enjoyed them. ( )
  JulesDashwood | Nov 21, 2018 |
Another good book by Liane Moriarty. This woman has a way of putting you in these women's shoes. I would definitely read this one again. ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
My first book by Liane Moriarity and it was lots of fun! I am not a 'chick-lit' fan...or maybe I am! Haha. The hypnotherapy was intriguing, the stalker kept me on edge, and I am a sucker for a happy ending. I don't think the happy ending is a spoiler alert - of course all the pieces tied up nicely!
I will try another one of her books for sure! ( )
1 vote ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
One is very crazy when in love.  --Sigmund Freud
For George and Anna
When people think of hypnosis, they think of swinging pendulums.

"Ellen O'Farrell is an expert when it comes to human frailties. She's a hypnotherapist who helps her clients deal with everything from addictions to life-long phobias. So when she falls in love with a man who is being stalked by his ex-girlfriend she's more intrigued than frightened. What makes a supposedly smart, professional woman behave this way? She'd love to meet her! What she doesn't know is that she already has. Saskia has been masquerading as a client, and their lives are set to collide in ways Ellen could never have predicted.This wonderfully perceptive new novel from Liane Moriarty is about the lines we'll cross for love. It's about the murky areas between right and wrong, and the complexities of modern relationships. As Ellen is about to discover, we're all a little crazy - even her." -- Book cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Liane Moriarty's book The Hypnotist's Love Story was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,359,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible