Cat Moves to Outer Space (Best Friends in…

Cat Moves to Outer Space (Best Friends in Space)

by Debora Geary

731,138,814 (5)None

From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I have attempted to read chapter books to CW, including the Magic Tree House series, with no luck. I started this a couple days ago, because I knew I needed to read it so why not do my and their reading at the same time? CW loved it! Ivan is still too young but he did like the pictures. CW didn't want me to stop. The first night we read to chapter 10...after he negotiated 3 more chapters. lol We read it in 3 nights. It's not a big book, less than 80 pages I think.

The pictures are pretty amazing too. They were drawn by Ej Lowell, high school student. I was amazed when I learned this...just today in fact.

The other sweet tidbit, this book was also dreamed up by Debora's 7 yr old daughter. Ahhh, all the poop makes sense! Actually, how it was used in the book was great, it was all about fertilizer.

There is a bit of witchiness in there too. Yeah, I'm going to add this to my Witchy Reading Challenge! It was easy to read out loud, and the story was enjoyable to all of us. Can't wait for more to come out. Too bad the illustrator has homework! Great book for boys and girls of all ages. ( )
  lilacwolf | Feb 24, 2012 |
I started to read "Cat Moves to Outer Space" with my granddaughter (whose nickname is also Cat) about ten minutes after I had rushed out to purchase this new book by Debora Geary. We finished it in a single sitting -- with liberal breaks for snacks, drinks and a few stretches. My Cat can't wait for the next book in the series and wants to re-read "Cat Moves to Outer Space" as soon as she visits again.

I highly recommend this book to every parent who has ever uttered the phrase "clean up your bedroom please" only to be given THE LOOK that says:

1. later Mom, I have to walk the dog ... gerbil ... iguana ... my invisible friend
2. ahh, gee, do I haveta? Jennie doesn't haveta clean her room! Her parents love her!!
3. I just cleaned it a month ago

or, my personal favorite,

4. I can't, it's a science experiment. (You just know nothing good can come of that one).

Don't tell my granddaughter I said this but she suffers terribly from being allergic to a clean bedroom. It's a sad affliction but one that, I suspect, many kids (and their parents) agonize over.

The good news is that Debora Geary has solved the problem. I don't want to give anything away but, while reading the book, my Cat found out that it is absolutely essential to keep your room clean when you live in a spaceship. Bad things can happen if you don't keep track of your clutter. Ever since finding that out, Cat (both mine and Debora Geary's) has kept her room exceptionally neat and lectures the rest of the family about the necessity for neatness.

Any book that can perform that particular miracle gets five stars from me and is definitely worth the cost of admission! Thanks Debora. ( )
  liveinlibrary | Sep 28, 2011 |
Cat Moves to Outer Space (Best Friends in Space #1)
By: Debora Geary & Shae Geary
Illustrated by: EJ Lowell
ISBN: 2940013358126
Published September 11, 2011 by Fireweed Publishing
Available Format: ebook

My Rating: ★★★★★

When Cat’s parents take a job in a space ship’s biosphere, Cat is pretty bummed she has to leave her biosphere with her favorite tree and fresh grown foods. Pretty soon, Cat is making some good and not-so-good friends and learning all kinds of neat things about space travel. When Cat starts talking with her new plant friends, she learns that they aren’t happy with the way they are being cared for. One bush in particular is very sick. It is up to Cat and her friend Arkali to help the poor plant before it is too late.

This book is similar to the Magic Tree House series and is suitable for middle and upper elementary level readers.

First of all, I love anything that is written by a young author! You can tell when an unhindered imagination contributes to a good book. This easy, fun writing style is perfect for younger readers. My son is six but reads on a 2nd or 3rd grade level, and this was perfect for him. The full-page illustrations break up the story nicely and help give the reader a better visual of the characters and some of the scenes in the story.

I never imagined I’d be reading a book involving so much poop, but this was done in such an entertaining, honest way. It was actually pretty educational, teaching kids about compost and natural fertilizer. There is a lot more to properly taking care of plants, and it never hurts to play them a little music too.

I am certain your kids will love Cat’s adventure on the space ship and the planet Draca as much as mine did. ( )
  Cassie629 | Sep 22, 2011 |

Debora Geary is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,656,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible