The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica…

The World of Downton Abbey (2011)

by Jessica Fellowes

Other authors: Julian Fellowes (Foreword)

3661930,006 (4.28)49

I admit that I have a slight obsession with Downton Abbey. It sucked me in from the start. And now my curiosity as piqued as to what life was really like in the early 1900s. Therefore, I am branching out a bit in the books that I am reading.

The World of Downton Abbey is a companion guide to the second season of the beloved BBC Masterpiece show Downton Abbey. Not only does it outline the lives of the Crawley family during the first World War, but also gives us a peek at the lives of the real aristocracy of England. Family life, style, life in service, romance and war are a few of the topics covered in Jessica Fellowes book.

I greatly enjoyed reading and learning more about British culture. It helps me to understand the characters in the show better, as well as characters in the books I read. There is a lot of history to be found in period dramas and I do love learning about it. I was happy to learn that the show has a historical advisor Alastair Bruce (known as The Oracle) that does not hide in the shadows. He makes certain that everything is proper and accurate. Any Downton enthusiast would enjoy this book, but it is also a great read for learning more about the era.
1 vote BookwormMama14 | Jun 15, 2015 |
This book is PACKED full of stuff a Downtown Abbey fan will drool over - interesting stories, beautiful photographs, and fun looks at behind-the-scenes. A lovely book to go with a cup of tea. ( )
  janeycanuck | Jul 27, 2014 |
Great fun for series fans! ( )
  kblinn | Mar 2, 2014 |
The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes

This 'coffee table' book is a lovely pictorial of the making of the hugely popular U.S. series Downton Abbey. There are photos and the telling of how they filmed the show from the making of the actor's wardrobes, to the cooking, to the laundry, to the filming, staging, etc. It is the perfect companion piece for anyone who, like myself, loves the show. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Jul 29, 2013 |
4. the clothes ( )
  mahallett | Jul 23, 2013 |

Jessica Fellowesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fellowes, JulianForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
April 1912 The sun is rising dehind Downton Abbey, a great and splendid house in a great and splendid park. So secure does it appear that it seems as if the way of life it represents will last for another thousand years. It won't.
"My dear fellow, We all have chapters We would rather keep unpublished" ~ Lord Grantham

Family life -- Society -- Change -- Lilfe in service -- Style -- House & estate -- Romance -- War -- Behind the scence -- Cast list.

A companion book to the popular British series about the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants offers insights into the story and characters and background information on British society in the early years of the twentieth century.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible