The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding

The Iron Jackal

by Chris Wooding

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Volume 1 by Hayao Miyazaki (Jannes)
    Jannes: Airships, wastelands, ancient aritfacts. Also, there's a scene near the end of The Iron Jackal that's remarkably similar to... well, you'll see.

I love this series so much I ordered this book from the UK because I couldn't wait till it made it to the US. And I definitely wasn't sorry! Best of the series so far. Perfect for anyone who loves sci-fi and for everyone who loved Firefly! ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
This series just gets better and better. Its devastating that there is only one book more left, but meanwhile we can enjoy superb stuff like this third entry. It rattles along at breakneck pace from beginning to end, 470 pages of steampunk goodness, as Frey and the Ketty Jay crew first fight to get hold of an ancient relic, then fight just as hard to get rid of it when Frey realises it has put a death sentence on him. Their quest takes them from a scintillating full-speed train robbery to a daring heist under the noses of the Archduke and his fabled Century Knights, to a prison camp deep in the hostile land of Samarla, to a literally explosive conclusion in an ancient forgotten city. Along the way the characters of the Ketty Jay crew continue to grow and develop, and they are now fully-developed, very human, three-dimensional people, to whom the reader feels a real attachment. This is masterful writing, I don't know of any other writer who has combined sci-fi, steampunk and fantasy (so far I have identified homage to Star Wars, Firefly, Tolkien and Pirates of the Caribbean, no doubt there is much more) so seamlessly, if I could give it more than 5 stars I would. Every book so far has been better than its predecessor, so I'm expecting the final book to be a cracker. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. ( )
  drmaf | Jan 18, 2016 |
Another rollicking adventure for the crew of the Ketty Jay and just as enjoyable as the others.
I had thought this was the final story in a trilogy. Whilst it 'ended' satisfactorily, it also seemed to be left open for further high jinx, so I looked it up. There is indeed a fourth episode: 'The Ace of Skulls,' or at least there will be - in September 2013!!! I have to wait four months - argh!
I've put it on my amazon wish list, and filled in a NIS request with the library. Hopefully one way or another I'll get my hands on it as soon as it comes out.
And that about says it all. For me to be so eager to read more, I must have really enjoyed it, and I did. The characters have become like old friends - warts and all. I even chuckle at their colorful language, which I normally find unnecessary if not offensive. Here, it is so in character, and the author doesn't resort to normal everyday profanities [such as the over-used f*** word] as so many do these days. Here, swear words and insults have almost a charm about them and only serve to endear one to the characters even more. These are not swashbuckling hero pirates, or superheros, or cool spies. They are a dysfunctional group of misfits who form an unlikely alliance, stumble from one catastrophe to the next and succeed almost in spite of themselves. Yet I'm going to miss them. ( )
  Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |
Mix together the swashbuckling of The Pirates of the Caribbean, a shade of fast shooting action and espionage--on horseback--of Michael Garrison's The Wild Wild West, and a bit of the personalities from Ocean's 11 (pick 1960 or 2001--it doesn't matter), and drop them all in a world with demons, magic, curses, and airships.

That would give you just a glimpse of what you can expect from [b:The Iron Jackal|9931820|The Iron Jackal (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #3)|Chris Wooding|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1302819645s/9931820.jpg|14824887], the third in Chris Wooding's Tales of the Ketty Jay. It's a fast, energetic ride, a swashbuckling adventure in a vividly colorful world full of heroes and villains, intrigue and mystery, and empires and exploration.

The Iron Jackal opens with Captain Frey and his crew finally catching a break. One heist later, Frey is romancing his old flame, his crew is awash in cash, and the world is their oyster. Naturally, it's a perfect place for everything to go pot.

Cursed, hunted, and with death scheduled in just a few days time, Frey and his crew are on a quest that will test their ingenuity, their sanity, and their loyalty to each other and the Ketty Jay.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Wooding's characters are diverse, fully conceived, and vibrant, and he uses each scene not only to build the tension, but to build his cast's relevance to the story and to each other.

If you haven't read the first or second installments in the Tales of the Ketty Jay, you don't need to start from the beginning. Each stands alone and can be read without the others. That said, pick them up from the beginning, and enjoy a fantastic story, full of complex characters and creative plots.

The Iron Jackal was originally released in 2011 by Gollancz and has been rereleased this year by Titan. I gotta admit: as much as I enjoyed the book, I hated the cover. This is one book you do not want to judge by its cover. ( )
  publiusdb | Jun 4, 2014 |
Good book. Really starting to get to know the crew of the Ketty Jay by now. Reminds me a lot of the tv show Firefly ( although a bit more gritty ). Some of the scenes makes me think the author is a gamer... ( )
  bishopza | Feb 7, 2014 |
Like its predecessors, The Iron Jackal is brimful of Cool Shit™, snarky banter, a hit-it-to-the-max style of action, and a joyous sense of fun. This is a book that swashes its buckles with immense panache, and revels in barrels-blazing gunslinging.

But Wooding is too accomplished a writer to sacrifice character development to rollicking adventure: he’s good enough to provide both
added by feeling.is.first | editTor.com, Liz Bourke (Dec 8, 2011)

Things are finally looking good for Captain Frey and his crew. The Ketty Jay has been fixed up good as new. They've got their first taste of fortune and fame. And, just for once, nobody is trying to kill them. Even Trinica Dracken, Frey's ex-fiancee and long-time nemesis, has given up her quest for revenge. In fact, she's offered them a job - one that will take them deep into the desert heart of Samarla, the land of their ancient enemies. To a place where the secrets of the past lie in wait for the unwary. Secrets that might very well cost Frey everything. Join the crew of the Ketty Jay on their greatest adventure yet: a story of mayhem and mischief, roof-top chases and death-defying races, murderous daemons, psychopathic golems and a particularly cranky cat. The first time was to clear his name. The second time was for money. This time, Frey's in a race against the clock for the ultimate prize: to save his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:30 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,737,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible