The Dating Game Killer: The True Story of a…

The Dating Game Killer: The True Story of a TV Dating Show, a Violent… (2011)

by Stella Sands

Finished this book yesterday morning and I must say Stella Sands did very good job. This book contains a lot of small chapters. For example one thing she did was write in short the mayor news events that happened for example in 1977 and then she also added something Rodney Alcala was doing, or had done. Killed someone.

I also liked that she did start from the beginning. With his first victim. She lets us in on the lives of all his victims, trying so that we get to know the girls that were murdered and their families. Only negative thing is that at the end it got just a little bit long-winded but all in all I do recommend this book. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
I haven't read anything by Stella Sands, but I will look for more of her work. So many true crime books are a listing of facts in a dry almost textbook manner, but Sands turns the facts into an interesting tale. Although I knew that the women she previews are going to die in the upcoming pages, it doesn't take away from the "oh no" factor. I kept hoping that one of them would get away; would turn up some place, safe.

The one word of warning I would add is that Rodney Alcala was a sadistic murderer and Sands doesn't hold back in the graphic descriptions of how his victims were tortured or found. It might be a bit upsetting to some.

I found the book hard to put down but I had to because life/work got in the way, but I highly recommend this book. ( )
  TamiHindes | Oct 31, 2011 |
For Jill Barcomb, Charlotte Lamb, Jill Parenteau, Robin Samsoe, Georgia Wixted, who deserved so much better.

And for their families and friends, whose love endures.

And for those victims who escaped - and those not yet known.
Nineteen sixty-eight was one hell of a year.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312535899, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, Rodney Alcala was a contestant on the “The Dating Game,” one of America’s most popular television shows at the time. Handsome, successful, and romantic, he was embraced by the audience—and chosen as the winner by the beautiful bachelorette. To viewers across the country, Rodney seemed like the answer to every woman’s dreams. Until they learned the truth about his once and future crimes...

Ten years before his TV appearance, Rodney was charged with the sexual assault and attempted murder of an eight-year-old girl. In the decades that followed, he would be accused of seven murders—and, as new DNA evidence continues to be uncovered, the list may grow. The case is so disturbing that it’s been documented in several news outlets, from People magazine and USA Today to 48 Hours Mystery and Dr. PhilThe Dating Game Killer is the shocking true story about the dark and twisted man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:58 -0400)

In 1978, Rodney Alcala was a contestant on the "The Dating Game," one of America's most popular television shows at the time. Handsome, successful, and romantic, he was embraced by the audience--and chosen as the winner by the beautiful bachelorette. Ten years before his TV appearance, Rodney was charged with the sexual assault and attempted murder of an eight-year-old girl. In the decades that followed, he would be accused of seven murders--and, as new DNA evidence continues to be uncovered, the list may grow.This is the shocking true story about the dark and twisted man.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,617,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible