NAMING THE MOON by Joseph Valentinetti

NAMING THE MOON

by Joseph Valentinetti

I liked Naming the Moon, It was a really great read. (not done yet)
  joycedlee | Feb 25, 2012 |
Though this story lacked some good editing it was an interesting novelette about a man named Paul who thinks he has met his soul mate only to have her dissappear. After searching the area where her belongings have been found Paul finds a skeleton. Luckily the skeleton is not his friend but ends up being a much older skeleton that gets a lot of people involved. Could have been fleshed out a little bit more but all in all was not a bad way to spend an afternoon in the sun. ( )
  Scoshie | Feb 4, 2012 |
An interesting novella that could easily be expanded into a novel. The story revolves around Paul who has a new love move in with him. He is the happiest he has ever been but she disappears with all of his stuff. The search for her leads to Paul finding his stuff but not her. After the police have given up he continues to search for his true love. One day during the search he finds a skull. But the skull turns out to be of a much older woman and leads to a second mystery in Paul's life. He is determined to protect the skull from all other claimants.

It is too bad that the author leaves these two mysteries open. I hope that he expands on both stories some time in the future and possibly continue Paul's search for his two women. ( )
  qstewart | Jan 16, 2012 |
The story was interesting, but the way it was written made it hard for me to follow. It was not a style I had read before and half the time I didn’t understand what the author was trying to say. For example, the dialogue jumped around a lot which made it hard for me to tell who was speaking at some points in the story. There were loose ends that I would have wanted solved, like what happened to Loretta? Did the professor survive? What happened with the bones?

My final thoughts on this novella are, while I think it was a good start, I still feel like this is a rough copy of a story that can still be fixed up to be better. ( )
  boredness | Nov 16, 2011 |
Joseph Valentinetti's novella "Naming the Moon" was a short, but good little read. I wasn't a huge fan of how short it was, but I did like how much the main character, Pauly, really overcam all the obstacles with his personal life. Interesting choice of his profession, too. It was enough to engage the reader. I really would liked more of the story. ( )
  kristincedar | Nov 14, 2011 |
There are many, many good things about this novella and some things that need to be looked at again by the author, to allow the story to fulfil it's full potential.

The writing is very good and the characterisation was excellent, with humour and very entertaining interaction between main character Pauly and his friends. These are the aspects that convince me that a little editing and a tightening of the plotlines would be well worth it.

The ending felt more than a little rushed, and the storyline featuring the rediscovered bones was a little confusing, purely because not enough time was given to fleshing it out. These are definitely things that can be corrected and I would hope that the author will consider making this into a full length novel. I would be very pleased to read it - there's great potential here for a very good book.

As it stands now I would give it 2.5 stars out of 5, but will look for other work by the same author.

I received a review copy of the book from the LibraryThing's member giveaway programme.
added by gpugh | editLibraryThing member's giveaway

Pauly Macy came to California, with Jilly, to buy a house and settled down. But settling down didn't work for Jilly. Jilly was gone and there he was, in a California backwater, among piles of dung, ladies auxiliaries, ministers, priests and Dutch dairy farmers. He filled his loneliness with his friends, the Madillacs, work and travel. During football season he flew to each Vikings game. At a season opener in Buffalo he met Loretta. Things between them couldn't have been better until one night she disappeared. The police found the van she had been driving, off the road by the reservoir, but couldn't find any evidence of a crime and soon gave up the search. Nobody was interested. But Pauly was interested. He kept searching the urban wilderness where the van had been found. Even after he himself had given up hope compulsion drove him on. One evening, in his search for Loretta, he stopped to rest on the shore of the reservoir and fell asleep. When he woke in the darkness he thought he saw a second moon reflected on the ground before him. He shook himself awake. It turned out to be a skull. Not Loretta's but part of the oldest Caucasian human remains ever found in North America. Then everyone, from the local native Americans to the Aryan Brotherhood, was interested.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Joseph Valentinetti's book Naming The Moon was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Joseph Valentinetti is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible