I AM DIVING by Joseph Valentinetti

I AM DIVING

by Joseph Valentinetti

I Am Diving is a fictional novelette surrounding two historical events. Those events occurred in 1963 and were the loss of the submarine Thresher, and the assassination of President Kennedy. Valentinetti weaves these two events into his story suggesting that the first event caused the other.

Protagonist Jack York suffers from an affliction called Fugue, which is a rare psychiatric disorder characterized by amnesia. The state is usually short-lived (ranging from hours to days), but can last months or longer. Dissociative fugue usually involves unplanned travel or wandering, and is sometimes accompanied by the establishment of a new identity. Jack has been dishonorable discharged from the navy and his wife Teri tries to be supportive. Jack and his wife own a bar called the Crossroads. On the eve of the sinking of the Thresher, a patron shows them letters written warning Navy and government officials that the Thresher has been built with faulty specifications. The patron is distraught because no one listen to him. The sinking of the Thresher is a catalyst for Jack’s illness and he goes to Dallas with a gun.

The premise of I Am Diving is very good and I was intrigued by the concept. The story sometimes felt choppy and the author left me as the reader to fill in a lot of the story. I liked the characters, but would have liked more detail. Although some clues were given, I would have liked to have read about Jack’s episodes. Where did he go, and what triggered the attacks? Some of the dialogue felt forced and I think it could have benefited from an editor. I would like to see this made in to a full length novel with more of the detailed fleshed out.

Overall this was a unique and interesting read. Fans of conspiracy theories and historical fiction would enjoy this short novelette. I Am Diving is available in both paper and eBook formats.

I want to thank the author for sending this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review. ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |
I found this to be an interesting read. The main character, Jack, is struggling with his past in the Navy and goes into a fugue state and disappears and his wife is left to run the bar that they own. He returns with no apparent memory of where he has been or what he was doing. The stage is set for some interesting twists.

The submarine Thresher is lost and former sailor is trying to figure out why it happened. A bar patron plants the idea that the problem with the Thresher can be traced back to the person who was the Secretary of the Navy at the time the authorization came through to build the Thresher. So as Jack enters another fugue state he blames this Secretary of the Navy for the loss of life that occurred when the Thresher disappeared. He goes to Dallas to kill that ex-Secretary of Navy, but another assassin pulls his trigger first and in Jack's mind the wrong man was assassinated.

It is an interesting book. The author leaves it up to the reader to tie a lot of the events and characters together but I enjoy that type of story. ( )
  qstewart | Jan 16, 2012 |
Such a shame that historical facts can be misused in such a way to further bad writing. Not a terrible story, you really end up feeling bad for the wife in the book, but aside from the poor grammer and mispellings, the plot never developed, except for the two major events surrounding the characters; the sinking and the shooting of JFK. My advice to the author: reread and rewrite. ( )
  kristincedar | Jan 12, 2012 |
This is an interesting short novel based on two historical events - the loss of the submarine Thresher, and the assassination of President Kennedy. Author Valentinetti's protagonist suffers from a form of PTSD and fights his own demons as a former Navy seaman. The book is well written and retains the reader's interest. It's limited scope explains the length and several questions are left unanswered as food for thought.

This novelette was received in eBook format in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mldavis2 | Dec 23, 2011 |
I received this copy from Library Thing. I found the plot quite original and interesting. While reading it, I found myself picturing it being made into a movie. The font size was large which made for easy reading.

However....

There were several spelling and punctuation errors, not a big deal. I found much of the dialog choppy, forced, and unnatural, although with a little work, those scences could work. For example, when Teri and Jack almost bumped into each other and kept going back and forth. I would have liked to learn more about what Jack did while he was "away." Or a little more OMG when they learn of the young sailor's death. I felt like this could be an excellent book with a little more work, a little polish.

All and all, I did enjoy the book. ( )
  ironside26 | Dec 5, 2011 |

The story is a fiction based on fact. My protagonist, Jack York, is an ex-sailor. He suffers from Fugue, a distinctive dissociative disorder characterized by geographical displacement and amnesia for the episodes. The misunderstanding of his condition is the reason for his dishonorable discharge from the Navy. The story concerns the events that lead Jack York to be in Dallas on November 23, 1963. The premise of the story is the Dallas tragedy was carried out by two men who had no prior knowledge of each other and different targets in mind. `There exists a type of phenomenon...which has puzzled man. The seemingly accidental meeting of two unrelated causal chains in a coincidental event which appears both highly improbable and highly significant.' Arthur Koestler The significant factor motivating Jack York is the loss of the Atomic Submarine Thresher with one hundred twenty-nine men aboard. The premise is based on letters, part of one is excerpted here. Please note the date. Letter date: August 12, 1963. Notarized and mailed/receipted August 12, 1963 To: Hon. John Connally, Governor of Texas. From: Field Engineer on Thresher. Dear Governor; A plot is underway to assassinate you. As former Secretary of the Navy you are well aware of the Submarine Thresher disaster, and how Bendix used fraudulent pressure/depth curves on equipment designed and built by Bendix for submarines of the Thresher class. An organization...Justice For The Crew Of The Thresher is being formed. Sir, I beg you, if you do visit Dallas and ride in an open car, please do not allow your loved ones to ride in an open car with you. If a sniper's bullet, meant for you, was fired from a high powered rifle by one of these disgruntled former service men... The letter's author was questioned in August 1963 by Naval Intelligence, The FBI and postal authorities. The FBI and the other investigative agencies, failed to file a report concerning this and later failed to inform the Warren Commission. The letter, send three months before the Dallas event, named the three salient factors of the crime: disgruntled ex-serviceman, high powered rifle, open car.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:38 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Joseph Valentinetti's book I Am Diving was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Joseph Valentinetti is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible