Tyler Palewhite: Soft-Boiled Detective by…

Tyler Palewhite: Soft-Boiled Detective

by Joseph Valentinetti

2312459,532 (3)None

Not a great book. The story is about a mediocre salesman who has written a book about a private investigator. He wants to become a published author. Thinking it will help sell his book to a publisher, he tries to become a private investigator. He, of course, bungles that and has to fix his mistakes. Fairly predictable. Lots of scene changes without any warnings make it confusing to read, and the typos don't help any, either.
  milliebeverly | Mar 19, 2012 |
Tyler is truly a "soft boiled detective". I hate to compare him to Barney Fife but he comes mighty close. As a struggling writer Tyler decides that he needs to improve his biographical sketch that appears in his book. So he becomes a detective. It seems easy enough and it does add to his aura as an author.

At a book signing he is approached by a lady who needs his services. He accepts the case of returning her daughter who has not been returned from a visit with her father. Tyler and the friends he enlists to help him come up with an elaborate plan to kidnap the child back only to find out that the client has been lying to Tyler and he must work to undo what he has done.

It is an interesting read and gives one the idea that one needs to be careful with what he claims to be. A little detective work into the background of the client would have sufficed to save everyone a lot of trouble. Very good. ( )
  qstewart | Jan 16, 2012 |
This book was fun and I'd read the others in the series. At times I had a hard time getting into it but overall a good detective novel. ( )
  sarahbrownschmidt | Jan 8, 2012 |
Friday, December 30, 2011Review: Tyler Palewhite: Soft-Boiled Detective by Joseph valentinetti
4 STARS
I liked it but is not a book I will reread again. The characters took awhile for me to care about them.
Tyler is a salesman who is always toward the bottom in sales. Tyler is always making excuses why that is. Plus he is always asking his friend to cover for him. Tyler wants to be a writer in fact he wrote one detective book and sent it off to lots of publishers. No short stories or articles just the one novel. It keeps on comming back rejected.
Tyler gets the idea to fake being a real detective to help sell his book. He then uses sales training to sell himself. He makes business cards,stationary and advertises. He starts getting a few cases that he does find the people by using computers. Then he gets cases that he bumbles through and with his friends gets over his head in trouble.
The ending was okay but I wanted a little bit more from it.
I was given this book from the author in exchange of honest review from librarythings. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Dec 30, 2011 |
3.5 STARS - I won this book on Library Thing, along with the author's other short (short) story, Naming the Moon. This story was a big improvement over Naming the Moon in terms of style and substance. I took a half star off because I think the characters could have been developed so much more, the story fleshed out a little better, and also because the e-book formatting was a little off-kilter sometimes (no breaks in the writing for scene changes can be a bit disorienting when you're in the flow of reading and there's an abrupt shift). But this was still a good read - the author has talent that I expect he will be able to develop more fully in the years to come. ( )
  CynDaVaz | Dec 3, 2011 |

Tyler Palewhite: Soft Boiled Detective Tyler Palewhite is a salesman who dreams of being a novelist. In fact he's written a P.I. novel. He's not having much luck getting it published until he hits on the idea of pretending to be a Private Investigator to empress potential publishers. He makes letterhead, prints business cards and adds it to his resume. As people find out they take it seriously and begin to ask for his help. He tries his hand at a couple of simple things and has some unexpected success. It works. He gets a publisher and things are going as according to plan. Just when he thinks, What Could Possibly Go Wrong? things begin to spiral out of control and he finds himself embroiled in kidnapping and murder. What he does to try and fix things keep making matters worse. Follow Tyler as he tries to find a way to make things right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Joseph Valentinetti's book Tyler Palewhite: Soft-Boiled Detective was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Joseph Valentinetti is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,981,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible