Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage

Three Times Lucky (edition 2012)

by Sheila Turnage

Member:mcbisek
Title:Three Times Lucky
Authors:Sheila Turnage
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:children's fiction, mystery, orphans

Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage

Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath (foggidawn)
    The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (C.Vick)
    C.Vick: Very similar stories. Foundlings, spunky heroines, milder mannered best friends...

English (43)  Swedish (2)  All languages (45)
Mo's summer is looking good. But that's before the murder, the kidnapping, the car crash, and the hurricane. Now she and her best friend are setting out to solve the mystery of their lives. Good thing Mo's always been lucky. ( )
  jepeters333 | Aug 23, 2014 |
This Newbery Honor book is a North Carolina mystery featuring "rising sixth grader" Miss Moses LoBeau, who was born during a hurricane and sent downstream lashed to a raft. She was found by "The Colonel" who lost his memory during the same storm, and raised by The Colonel and Miss Lana, who open a cafe together (Mo runs it when either Miss Lana or the Colonel inexplicably takes off, but since she's not allowed to touch the stove, she serves peanut butter sandwiches). Mo is devoted to the idea of her "upstream mother" writing letters to her and having friends release bottles with messages when they travel in the hopes of finding her. When cranky Mr. Jesse is found murdered, Mo and her best friend Dale investigate the murder.

I confess I am at a loss to understand the superlative reviews and the Newbery Honor, and I'm pretty sure this will be my least favorite book of the year. I love (or thought I did) mysteries where kids get together and solve them with pluck, but this one is too implausible, even for this fan of kid lit, and the plot (and sweet message about family being about love rather than blood) is obscured by a character so obnoxiously mouthy I was driven to distraction (the book was probably doomed for me when I read that Moses LoBeau is the new Scout Finch). On top of that, the author seems to have raided a discount bin of cutesy southern colloquialisms and cornball synonyms and jammed as many into the book as two covers could possibly hold. While very popular, the book did not work for me at all, and I had to force myself to read it over the course of a week.
  AMQS | Aug 16, 2014 |
A lighthearted look about a small town coping with a mysterious murder. Our narrator, Mo, is a rising 6th grader who tries to solve the mystery with her best friend, Dale Earnhardt. Through Mo's eyes we get to know the people in the town and how their lives are intersected. This is also about Mo's unorthodox searching for her birth mother. It is a pretty fast read even though it is 312 pages. A good book to recommend to fifth grade readers. AR 3.9/ 9 points. Not really a third grade book. ( )
  SuPendleton | Aug 5, 2014 |
A great murder mystery for grades 5 and up. It keeps you guessing right to the end. Jam packed with adventure and intrigue. Very well done. ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |
What begins as a tale of friendship and finding family in unconventional ways twists course to become a murder/kidnapping mystery. While the story which includes domestic abuse, longing for a lost parent and natural disasters, might frighten some, the quirkiness and voice of Moses LoBeau, along with the Colonel and Turnage's other finely drawn characters, will engage and entertain readers between 8 and 12. ( )
  lps3 | Jun 20, 2014 |

Sheila Turnageprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Friedman, MichalNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents-Vivian Taylor Turnage and A.C. Turnage, Jr.-who taught me to love books.
Trouble cruised into Tupelo Landing at exactly seven minutes past noon on Wednesday, the third of June, flashing a gold badge and driving a Chevy Impala the color of dirt.
His newt, Sir Isaac, stirred in the terrarium. (p. 209)

Mo LeBeau lives in the small town of Tupelo Landing, NC, where everyone's business is fair game and no secret is sacred. She washed ashore in a hurricane eleven years ago, and she's been making waves ever since. SHe's found a home with the Colonel-a cafe owner with a forgotten past of his own-and Miss Lana, the fabulous cafe hostess, and will protect those she loves with every bit of he strong will. So when a lawman comes to town asking about a murder, Mo and her best friend, Dale Earnhardt Johnson III, set out to uncover the truth in hopes of saving the only family Mo has ever known. (ARC)

Washed ashore as a baby in tiny Tupelo Landing, North Carolina, Mo LoBeau, now eleven, and her best friend Dale turn detective when the amnesiac Colonel, owner of a caf‚e and co-parent of Mo with his cook, Miss Lana, seems implicated in a murder.

11 wanted1 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,330,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible