Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage

Three Times Lucky (edition 2012)

by Sheila Turnage

Member:mcbisek
Title:Three Times Lucky
Authors:Sheila Turnage
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:children's fiction, mystery, orphans

Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage

Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath (foggidawn)
    The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (C.Vick)
    C.Vick: Very similar stories. Foundlings, spunky heroines, milder mannered best friends...

English (47)  Swedish (2)  All languages (49)
MO, short for Moses is a spunky and smart rising sixth grader who washed up in one of the meanest hurricanes in history.
She lives in a small town called Tupelo Landing in North Carolina with a population of 148, she Lives with the Colonel and Miss Lana who run a cafe.
In the begging a not very well liked man named Mr.Jesse is murdered.
Mo and her friends set out to find the murderer, but then Miss Lana and the Colonel are kidnapped!
Can Mo and her friends find the murderer and save Miss Lana and the Colonel in time? You'll have to rad to find out.
I really like this book. I liked it because it gave you a sense of excitement and suspense until the very end, it was a real page turner.I recommend this book to mature readers because there is a bit of foul language and things that could make younger readers quite scared. ( )
  KatiePU | Mar 22, 2015 |
Mo is an eleven-year-old girl, who was orphaned and then rescued as a baby from Contentnea Creek in a hurricane by Colonel LoBeau. The Colonel was in an accident and lost his memory on the same night that he rescued Mo. The Colonel and Mo live in Tupelo Landing with Miss Lana, the Colonel's wife. They all run the local Cafe, which is the place all of Tupelo Landing meet. With the arrival of Detective Joe Starr and then a murder of one of Tupelo Landing's residents Mo and her best friend, eleven year-old Dale Earnhardt Johnson III dive head first into investigating. No adult is free from scuntity or Mo LoBeau's determination.
  WindyB | Feb 28, 2015 |
(3.2)
  mshampson | Oct 23, 2014 |
It is no secret that the 2013 Newbery Selection Committee and I didn't see eye to eye. The One and Only Ivan wins and Wonder doesn't even get an Honor? Seriously?! However, they did get it right (well, sort of... this definitely should have won over The One and Only Ivan !) with Three Times Lucky . Oh, how I loved this book! The beginning made me want to go out and rent the movie Fried Green Tomatoes . It just has that pure southern feeling to it, and the main character's foster-parents own a café. And then there's a murder. I fully expected some special barbeque to start cooking out back :) .

Miss Moses Lobeau - rising sixth grader - and her best friend Dale Earnhardt Johnson III (no, his daddy and granddaddy aren't named that too, the III stands for Dale Earnhardt's car number) set out to solve the murder of a crotchety neighbor by forming the "Desparado Detective Agency". Their attempts are hilarious, yet actually quite helpful. One of my favorite quotes from the book is Mo talking to the fancy detective from the city:

“They found Mr. Jesse in a boat?" I asked. "I'm wondering if maybe he just up and died. Maybe there ain't no murder. Like the fish weren't biting and he died of boredom. It happens. Boredom kills. I've had close brushes myself, during math.”

I love Mo's voice and laughed out loud over and over again while reading some of her comments. But let's not leave out Dale. What a great supporting character! We learn more about him from Mo's observances than anything. Two of my favorites:

1. Dale can choose not to worry like he chooses not to wear socks.

2. He peeked around the door. "You through barfing?"
Dale can't tolerate other people throwing up. He gets what's known as the Synchronized Heaves. Lavender says if they ever make it an Olympic sport, Dale's an automatic for the gold.

And yes, Lavender is the name of Dale's older brother, who Mo plans on dating in 7 years when she is 18. Her observances on the different girls Lavender dates are also well worth reading.

This is a book I could read over and over again. It is full of quirky characters, down-home southern wisdom, exciting events, and laugh out loud humor. A great children's book should be enjoyable to children and adults, and Three Times Lucky is great!

Areas of concern:
*The murder of a character well known to the reader and the characters.
*It is mentioned that Dale started swearing last year. I haven't started yet, but the way things are going, I could at any moment.
*The relationship between the foster-parents is a little unusual, but is explained (not fully) towards the end of the book.
**All of the above are just me trying really hard to think of anything that could be a concern to any parents - I really had no concerns about it at all. ( )
  Bduke | Oct 14, 2014 |
Mo's summer is looking good. But that's before the murder, the kidnapping, the car crash, and the hurricane. Now she and her best friend are setting out to solve the mystery of their lives. Good thing Mo's always been lucky. ( )
  jepeters333 | Aug 23, 2014 |

Sheila Turnageprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Friedman, MichalNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents-Vivian Taylor Turnage and A.C. Turnage, Jr.-who taught me to love books.
Trouble cruised into Tupelo Landing at exactly seven minutes past noon on Wednesday, the third of June, flashing a gold badge and driving a Chevy Impala the color of dirt.
His newt, Sir Isaac, stirred in the terrarium. (p. 209)

Mo LeBeau lives in the small town of Tupelo Landing, NC, where everyone's business is fair game and no secret is sacred. She washed ashore in a hurricane eleven years ago, and she's been making waves ever since. SHe's found a home with the Colonel-a cafe owner with a forgotten past of his own-and Miss Lana, the fabulous cafe hostess, and will protect those she loves with every bit of he strong will. So when a lawman comes to town asking about a murder, Mo and her best friend, Dale Earnhardt Johnson III, set out to uncover the truth in hopes of saving the only family Mo has ever known. (ARC)

Washed ashore as a baby in tiny Tupelo Landing, North Carolina, Mo LoBeau, now eleven, and her best friend Dale turn detective when the amnesiac Colonel, owner of a cafe and co-parent of Mo with his cook, Miss Lana, seems implicated in a murder.

11 wanted1 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,297,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible