Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

How to Eat a Cupcake: A Novel by Meg Donohue

How to Eat a Cupcake: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Meg Donohue

Member:writemeg
Title:How to Eat a Cupcake: A Novel
Authors:Meg Donohue
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Early Reviewers, chick lit, foodie fiction

How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another charming novel about friendship/family centered around a woman with unique culinary gifts.

English (39)  Italian (1)  All languages (40)
Annie Quintana is a talented but underpaid baker in San Francisco and the daughter of the wealthy St. Clair family's former housekeeper. When Julia, the prodigal St. Clair daughter and Annie's erstwhile friend, returns to her home, the two women rekindle their friendship and open a cupcake shop. They also stir up some buried feuds and solve the mystery of Annie's mother's death. "How to Eat a Cupcake" makes for good chick lit. The alternating perspective between Annie and Julia helps keep the story moving forward and provides a glimpse into each woman's thoughts. The story moves quickly and reads well, perfect for a weekend read, but the ending seems a little too much. This is Donahue's debut novel, and for the first time out of the gate, she really did well. Amy R. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog. ( )
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I definitely liked this book and I'd give it 3.5 stars easily. There were some cute moments, some good friendly banter, and some emotional areas. Julia's secret was something I wasn't expecting, but I'm glad I was wrong. One of the main things I didn't care for was the side story with Jake.

Overall, good book! And it made me really hungry for cupcakes each time I opened it up! ( )
  tabbyisnotacat | Apr 29, 2017 |
Quick read that was one of those dollar deals on nook. Pretty sure there were no surprises. I do have a cupcake eating technique, but only when alone. Public cupcake eating is pretty straightforward. ( )
  bookczuk | Oct 11, 2016 |
downloaded sample to read first (pricey for a kindle book so will have to blow me away)
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Set in SanFrancisco's Pacific Heights and The Mission this book reads more like a photo spread in a non-existent magazine somewhere between Nylon and Elle. It's a glossy examination of the have and have nots, emergent women directing their lives toward next steps, the tensions in complex relationships and somewhere in there is a central conflict. What was successful is how Donohue hints at interesting flavor profiles and how a cupcakery is born. What is unsuccessful is how long it takes for central conflicts to develop. This book lacks dynamism in the plot structure. If I did do this one with a reading group, I might have them tear up the plot events and rearrange them into a new structure to see if the narrative is more fulfilling by the last page. The story wrap up is mildly annoying unless you are about to get married and want to tralala along. One character's perfect life wraps up as if its fresh from Tiffany and the other sort of shuffles off in a patchwork carpet bag. Everyone is just too perfect in this book--they eat never-ending cupcakes and NEVER gain weight. If you are looking for happy endings you will get one. If you are looking for a book to read by the pool and possibly lose it, this will do. If you are looking for a wholehearted experience, try something else. ( )
  BetsyKipnis | Mar 26, 2015 |
People frequently make the assumption that I'm unreliable.

When childhood friends Annie Quintana and Julia St. Clair reconnect as adults and decide to open a cupcakery, they must overcome old betrayals, first loves, and a dangerous threat.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Meg Donohue's book How to Eat a Cupcake was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Meg Donohue is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,434,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible