The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St.…

The Haunting of Maddy Clare (edition 2012)

by Simone St. James

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Mystery, Ghosts, Fiction, Historical, SCCL

The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James

I plucked this book out of the bargain bin based solely on its cover, and I never imagined I’d enjoy it so much. An intriguing ghost story, a mystery, and a romance all rolled into one. Another reviewer pointed out that the mores were too modern for 1920s British culture… that may be true, but it only makes it more fun to read. Juicy escape fiction/beach book read. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
This book has won two RWA awards, so I was compelled to read it. I'm also a ghost story lover. This book did not disappoint.

In the spirit of the Sherlock Holmes novels, this author leads us on an adventure to solve a mystery. But instead of simply quirky investigators, the two main male characters are ghost hunters.

We're never sure which the female lead is going to end up with. Until, of course, the end.

An enticing ghost story laced with romance, I highly recommend this very well written tale. ( )
  Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
fiction
debut novel.... paranormal historical set in England post WW1

quick read....intriguing story ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 31, 2016 |
A young man asks a temp agency to find a woman to work for him while his assistant is out of town. His upcoming assignment deals with a ghost who is terrified of men so he needs a woman to try to establish contact with her and coax her to leave her haunting place. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |

Simone St. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wait, DeirdreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Adam
The day I met Mr. Gellis, I had been walking in the rain.
The air was swollen with cottony drizzle that did not quite fall to the ground, and pressed my cheeks and eyelashes.

"In 1920s England, a young woman of limited means and even less experience confronts the ghost of a mysterious serving maid.... Sarah Piper's lonely threadbare existence changes when her temporary agency sends her to assist a ghost hunter. Alistair Gellis--rich, handsome, scarred by World War I, and obsessed by ghosts--has been summoned to investigate the spirit of the nineteen-year-old maid Maddy Clare, who is said to haunt the barn where she committed suicide. Maddy hated men in life, and she will not speak to them in death. But Sarah is unprepared to go alone into a haunted barn looking for the truth. She's even less prepared for the arrival of Alistair's associate, rough, unsettling Matthew Ryder, also a veteran of the trenches, whose scars go deeper than Sarah can reach. Soon, Sarah is caught up in a desperate struggle. For Maddy's ghost is no hoax--she's real, she's angry, and she has powers that defy all reason. Can Sarah and Matthew discover who Maddy was, where she came from, and what is driving her desire for vengeance...before she destroys them all?"--… (more)

45 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,360,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible