The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St.…

The Haunting of Maddy Clare (edition 2012)

by Simone St. James

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Mystery, Ghosts, Fiction, Historical, SCCL

The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James

5 stars for Maddy Clare! My opinion hasn't changed! I finished reading this last night and I still think it's a fabulous story from start to finish!  I just loved St. James' writing style and the way she can create this creepy, suspenseful atmosphere. She definitely has a knack for writing ghost stories. Words really can not express how much I enjoyed this book so I'm not even going to try. If you haven't read the book yet, you really should go out and buy it, borrow it, steal it, swap it or download it and read it TODAY! I promise, paranormal and mystery lovers, you will not be disappointed!  ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The Haunting of Maddy Clare
4 Stars

In post WWI England, there are few jobs available for young women so when Sarah Piper is offered a position as an assistant to a ghost hunter, she accepts because beggars can’t be choosers. Summoned to investigate and perhaps exorcise the spirit of Maddy Clare, a 19 year old serving girl who took her own life, Sarah and her partners, Alistair Gellis and Matthew Ryder, must learn the horrific details of Maddy’s traumatic life and pitiful death before she takes her revenge out on them all...

A classic ghostly revenge tale with an intense romance and immersive descriptions of the time period.

The supernatural elements are gripping and add an extra layer of tension to the mystery which is otherwise quite simple and straightforward. The spirit of Maddy Clare is far from sympathetic, however. Although she has been the victim of a horrific crime and her desire for vengeance is more than understandable, she is a vicious and vindictive ghost who takes her anger and angst out on those who would care for and help her.

The main characters are also fleshed out well and the details of Alistair and Matthew’s wartime experiences highlight the personal and social intricacies of post-war England in which returning soldiers, traumatized with both physical and mental scars, have difficulty assimilating back into a society that fails to comprehend and accept their suffering.

Matthew and Sarah’s romance is one of the highlights of the story. While their love/hate romance appears at first glance to be based on physical attraction and lust alone, it grows into a deeper and more emotional connection.

Sarah initially comes across as meek and unassuming, but reveals an astounding strenght of character as the story progresses. Matthew is particularly tortured by his time in the trenches and this plays a significant role in his relationship with Sarah as he feels undeserving of her feelings for him and struggles to accept them. She, in contrast, is somewhat insecure about Matthew’s regard and is bound and determined to prove to him that she is a worthy partner and someone who accepts him unconditionally.

In all all, a really good ghost story with engaging characters and just the right amount of steam. Looking forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Maddy Clare was not only real she was very angry. The young maid had been very badly treated in life and someone was going to pay for it. The arrival of the three ghost hunters afforded her the opportunity. This was without a doubt one of the best books I have ever read. I'm a push over for a good ghost story and this was a very good one. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

The Haunting of Maddy Clare – St. James
3 stars

In life, Maddy Clare was a severely abused, traumatized and powerless servant girl. It is not surprising that following her despairing suicide, she would return to seek her revenge. In fact, very little of this ghost story was surprising. Set in an English village just after World War I, the ghost busters are two shell-shocked veterans and Sarah Piper. Sarah is hired from an employment agency specifically to communicate with Maddy. Maddy is understandably hostile to men. Is there a romance? Naturally. Sarah falls for the ‘bad boy’ of the ghost busting pair, and there is a peripheral love affair for her wealthy, aristocratic employer.
This isn’t a bad story. It’s just very predictable. I read it in a single day and it was exactly the kind of light weight reading I needed to have while getting my hair done. I was disappointed with the historical details. I like reading about the aftermath of the Great War. It is an interesting time period. In this book the historical details were little more than window dressing. Maddy Clare could have haunted in any time period and the outcome would have been the same.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Sarah Piper accepts a placement through her temp agency for a very unusual assignment: accompany a young writer and assist him in documenting the very angry ghost of Maddy Clare, a young servant who hanged herself about a year prior, and has become increasingly troublesome and violent. Skeptical, Sarah accepts the job- she's two weeks behind on her rent- and she soon learns Maddy is very real, very dangerous, and that there's a lot more to her than her rage.

This is a very fun and easy to read book, with some great character relationships, effortless period details and setting, and no shortage of action or excitement. ( )
  stormyhearted | May 14, 2016 |

Simone St. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wait, DeirdreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Adam
The day I met Mr. Gellis, I had been walking in the rain.
The air was swollen with cottony drizzle that did not quite fall to the ground, and pressed my cheeks and eyelashes.

"In 1920s England, a young woman of limited means and even less experience confronts the ghost of a mysterious serving maid.... Sarah Piper's lonely threadbare existence changes when her temporary agency sends her to assist a ghost hunter. Alistair Gellis--rich, handsome, scarred by World War I, and obsessed by ghosts--has been summoned to investigate the spirit of the nineteen-year-old maid Maddy Clare, who is said to haunt the barn where she committed suicide. Maddy hated men in life, and she will not speak to them in death. But Sarah is unprepared to go alone into a haunted barn looking for the truth. She's even less prepared for the arrival of Alistair's associate, rough, unsettling Matthew Ryder, also a veteran of the trenches, whose scars go deeper than Sarah can reach. Soon, Sarah is caught up in a desperate struggle. For Maddy's ghost is no hoax--she's real, she's angry, and she has powers that defy all reason. Can Sarah and Matthew discover who Maddy was, where she came from, and what is driving her desire for vengeance...before she destroys them all?"--… (more)

50 wanted1 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,340,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible