Finding Our Way Home: A Novel (A Snowglobe…

Finding Our Way Home: A Novel (A Snowglobe Connections Novel)

by Charlene Baumbich

195537,190 (4.1)None

Charlene Ann Baumbich has written a wonderful novel, Finding Our Way Home. The story concerns a prima ballerina who has taken a fall and is no longer able to dance and her live-in companion, a feisty young woman just out of high school. Sasha Davis is no longer able to pursue her career as a dancer and comes back to her hometown and lives in her deceased mother’s home. Since she is not able to be alone to care for herself, she hires a most capable young woman, Evelyn, who is a delight to have around. However, Sasha does not see it that way. Evelyn is a ray of sunshine to all who know her. She has her life planned, so she thinks. She is NOT going to college, but is going to marry a young man with whom she fancies herself in love. This book is about these two women coming to grips with their lives as each reluctantly helps the other to grow and mature. Their lives become intertwined as they live together in the old house and take care of daily business. Sasha has not wanted to contact her dancer husband, who loves her dearly, because of her injuries. She pities herself and her life. Enter Evelyn, whose boisterous exuberance continually irritates Sasha and her quiet life. In the end both women begin to see that they have helped each other to see what their lives should be. I thought this book was well written and provided quite a bit of food for thought for the reader.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

Author’s Web Site: http://charleneannbaumbich.com/index.html
Author’s Bio: http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/author-spotlight.php?authorid=87106
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
Finding Our Way Home is the 3rd book in Charlene Ann Baumbich's Snow Globe Series. This story is about two woman at very different stages in their lives. Both women are facing decisions and paths that are not of their choosing but can't be ignored.

This heart warming story explores their path of self discovery, healing, and the gift of God's merciful grace and forgiveness in their lives. It was the perfect way to spend a relaxing afternoon and I truly enjoyed reading this book! ( )
  mrsrenee | Apr 10, 2013 |
Charlene Ann Baumbich is an inspirational author with over 20 years’ experience in writing and speaking. She uses humor to make points and inspiration to touch her reader. Here is my view of her Finding Our Way Home novel.

The first couple of pages grabbed my attention and empathy for this woman who was obviously injured. The injuries were not only physical, but spiritual. Sasha Davis was a premier ballerina who had been injured while she was dancing. The injury was permanent to her career. Moving back to her childhood home, she realizes she must have help, live-in help. She hires Evelyn Burt, her polar opposite.

Evelyn Burt is large, where Sasha is small. She is capable of, it seems, anything and everything, unlike Sasha. Evelyn enjoys life, even when facing her own personal problems. She happily moves in with Sasha when her parents are opposed to her fiancé, giving them all space to breathe. She takes something broken, such as the fry pan, and turns it into a thing of beauty and life.

The relationship between these two women, and the path to their own individual needs and happiness, is ridden with sadness, discovery, happiness, enlightenment, and a spiritual healing that gave this reader a sense of well-being. These two unlikely companions find a place where they can find the grace they’re seeking. That path, however, is not always an easy path.

I give this a 5 of 5 stars, and look forward to the next book by Charlene Ann Baumbich.

DISCLAIMER: I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for an honest review. ( )
  sara.edens | Jun 10, 2012 |
Baumbich has written another enjoyable entry in her Snowglobe series. Thirty-seven-year-old prima ballera Sasha Davis has suffered a career-ending injury in the arms of her husband. She has returned to her hometown of Wanonishaw, MN to recuperate in her childhood home, which she inherited upon her mother's recent death. She hires nineteen-year-old Evelyn Burt to be her caregiver. Evelyn is engaged to Jorden and has fallen out with her parents as a result of this romance and her failure to go college. The intertwining of the relationships of all of these characters forms the meat of the book. Evelyn is a wonderful, lively young woman who initially thinks she has life figured out. I had a hard time remembering that Sasha was only thirty-seven because she seemed so old-acting. Although marketed as a Christian novel by a Christian publisher, there is little overt mention of religion in the book. The prayer "Grace" uttered first by Evelyn and later by Sasha is the meat of the message, and a powerful message it is. A very enjoyable read. ( )
  khiemstra631 | Apr 29, 2012 |
Finding Our Way Home takes place in a small town in Wanonishaw, Minnesota where Sasha Davis, a well known and exalted ballerina, has decided to pick up the pieces of her broken life. Her career came to a crashing end when she suffered an injury during one of her performances. To make matters worse, the injury happened when she was dancing with her partner and husband, Donald Major. Although she is aware of Donald’s innocence in the accident, she still can’t bear to have him see her in such a state; mostly when his career is still going strong, and so she separates herself from him. Her only helper in recovering is the new aide she has hired, Evelyn. Evelyn is a young nineteen year old whose positive attitude becomes a major encouragement to Sasha. As their friendship grows, Sasha discovers that life is more than ballet but after all she has put her husband through, will he even talk to her again?

Although I liked the overall message of this book, I wasn’t drawn into the story as much as I would of liked. I think part of the reason was the characters. I never really connected with them or their story and as much as I wanted to be part of their world and experiences, I never truly was. Somehow they just never fully engaged me or felt real enough which made the 300+ pages seem to long for the story being shared. As for the lessons in the book; overcoming obstacles, receiving and giving grace, trusting others, and learning to forgive – they were all woven into the story and are worthwhile practices we can all learn and grow from, but they were more told to the reader than discovered.

Since this book has a good moral fiber, I would recommend this book to any teenage reader or older. The story is geared towards women as the two main characters are women but there are also a few men mentioned in the book, although I would still categorize this as a woman’s read.

If you are interested in reading a preview before purchasing the book, you can view an excerpt on WaterBrook’s product page – Finding Our Way Home excerpt.

Now for the original cover art of the book. The book cover on the left is the cover seen on the reading copy I received. This is my preference from the blue one pictured above. I wish I had a larger copy to share so you can see more of the details, but there are a few subtle changes between the two – more than just the color. Maybe you prefer the blue?

************************************

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  DecemberJoy | Jan 22, 2012 |

When the road home becomes daunting—sometimes a very capable girl on a bicycle can help find the way.

“Charming, surprising, familiar, and just downright wonderful.”
—Allie Pleiter, author of Yukon Wedding and Bluegrass Blessings

When principal ballerina Sasha Davis suffers a career-ending injury at age thirty-eight, she leaves her Boston-based dance company and retreats to the home of her youth in Minnesota. But Sasha’s injuries limit her as much as her mother’s recent death haunts her. Concluding she can’t recover alone, Sasha reluctantly hires a temporary live-in aide.

Enter the übercapable Evelyn Burt. As large-boned as Sasha is delicate, Evelyn is her employer’s opposite in every way. Small town to Sasha’s urban chic, outgoing to Sasha’s iciness, and undaunted where Sasha is hopeless, nineteen-year-old Evelyn is newly engaged and sees the world as one big, shiny opportunity.

Evelyn soon discovers Sasha needs to heal more than bones. Slowly, as the wounds begin to mend and the tables tilt, the two women form an unlikely alliance and discover the astounding power of even the smallest act done in the name of love. Finding Our Way Home is a story of second chances and lavish grace.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

After ballet dancer Sasha Davis suffers a severe injury and returns home to Minnesota to recover and deal with her mother's death, she forms an unexpected bond with her live-in aide, Evelyn, who helps Sasha face life with a renewed purpose.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,588,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible