In a Witch's Wardrobe by Juliet Blackwell

In a Witch's Wardrobe

by Juliet Blackwell

English (9)  Piratical (1)  All (10)
First off, this book is so much better written and more interesting & has a stronger (seemingly not so stupid) heroine in comparison to many of the other Paranormal Mystery/romances I've read.

Lily Ivory owns Aunt Cora's Closet, a vintage clothing resale shop. Her familiar, Oscar, may look like a pot-bellied pig, but in reality is a Gargoyle.

While Lily is in attendance at an Art Deco Ball in Oakland, a member of a local coven is poisoned and trapped in the woman's restroom mirror. Two days before another member of the same coven was poisoned & died. Lily takes it upon herself to free the trapped woman and comes across magick at every turn. Some good, some bad.

Meanwhile, Lily's shop and those of several other "practitioners" have been vandalized by a local hate group.

There is some light romance along the way, disappearing men, and a tad bit of humor. There is also some mention of magickal & poisonous herbs.

This book held my interest and was a light/fun read. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Listened/Read for Fun (Audible/Paperback)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.75
Character Rating: 4.25

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: In a Witch's Wardrobe by Juliet Blackwell is my favorite in the series so far! That is saying a lot because I have enjoyed each of them.

Overall Thoughts: This is one of those cozy mystery series where the characters are done right. Lily doesn't fight/look down on/snub her nose at the law. Instead she works with them. The supporting cast all play very important roles in her life and while flawed they are lovable in their own right. Lily isn't perfect either and that makes her totally easy to relate too. Her internal dialogue while witchy is very identifiable :) The mystery in this one stumped me. I totally didn't figure it out and loved the twists/turns it took a long the way. I like the new characters that were introduced and hope we see more of them. I even like her personal life (though still messy) now. All in all just a darn good read!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Xe Sands / Length: 8 hrs and 16 mins

Xe does an excellent job with this series. Her male voices are strong and unique (something I sometimes have a hard time with) and her female voices are spot on. Even when I am reading these stories (because I often flip back/forth between audio/paper), I can hear her doing Lily. I love when a narration just sticks with you! I highly recommend these on audio.

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | May 18, 2015 |

I??m really enjoying Juliet Blackwellƒ??s WITCHCRAFT MYSTERY series on audio! These are short paranormal mysteries that have appealing characters, are light on blood and violence, feature (but donƒ??t focus too much on) romantic relationships, include a bit of humor, and have a great setting (a vintage clothing store in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco). Each mystery is self-contained but thereƒ??s an overarching plot that advances with each book (so you want to start with the first book, Secondhand Spirits).

In this fourth novel, Lily is attending an art deco charity ball with a date when she sees a woman fall unconscious in the restroom. It looks like witchcraft is at work. Lily canƒ??t mind her own business, so she starts investigating and eventually unearths a nasty little plot involving a local coven, a fussy baby, a jilted lover, poisonous plants, backward ... Read the rest at Fantasy Literature: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/in-a-witchs-wardrobe/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
The Good: Highlight of this book: Lily hooks up!! Like whoa. Totally what I've been waiting for. And it was awesome. And now I'm all in the emotional abyss of "whatever is she going to do now?" And the ending. Wow. Big things coming. The interpersonal stuff was fantastic, as always, as was the mystery.

The Bad: Lily isn't socially inept, despite what she claims. The problem is that she's constantly hiding behind that excuse and it gets old. For someone so clear about herself in other aspects of her life, this inconsistency is glaring. ( )
  TequilaReader | Feb 16, 2014 |
Solid entry. Is Sailor the one? Their lives would be so much easier if they would just talk to each other........
Wonder what the mystery is about her father? ( )
  bgknighton | Apr 14, 2013 |
There be none of Beauty's daughter
With a magic like thee.   - Lord Byron
To Sergio,
the brightest star in my galaxy.
Thank you for bringing such precious light into my life.
Not being a necromancer, I can't see ghosts.

Lily Ivory is living her dream of owning a vintage clothing store - and practicing magic on the side. But when she encounters a sinister sleeping spell, Lily comes face-to-face with a nightmarish evil...
Taking a night off from running her successful San Francisco clothing store, Lily attends a local Art Deco ball, where vintage fashions steal the show. But when a young woman at the event falls under a mysterious sleeping sickness, Lily senses that a curse was placed on the woman's corsage.
Before Lily can solve the woman's magical ailment, she's asked to assist in investigating a string of poisonings in the Bay Area witchcraft community. She's gained the trust of the local covens by supporting women's charities through her clothing store. But soon Lily suspects that one of her new acquaintances might not be so well-intentioned and could be dabbling in dark magic and deadly botany...

Lily Ivory is living her dream of owning a vintage clothing store and practicing magic on the side. But when she encounters a sinister sleeping spell, Lily comes face-to-face with a nightmarish evil.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible