Hush Now, Don't You Cry by Rhys Bowen

Hush Now, Don't You Cry

by Rhys Bowen

YES! Yes! Yes! Wonderful, absolutely unbelievably wonderful. Well well well. My, my, my. See, Dame Agatha Christie? This is how a mansion murder should be like. She must be going green with envy in her grave, among other things. Rhys Bowen has overachieved. Or, I hereby suspect, this book is just for me. It affects me deeply. It rivals the best anime episodes for emotion, feel good factor, and involvement.

There are characters, and then there are characters, like in this story. The main character here is the setting. The Newport pseudo castle plays an important role. It serves to enhance the cruelty and pathos of dramatic events. It isolates the suspects from the outside world, nursing the murderer, camouflaging him/her blending the criminal among the innocent. The decor and the murder play against each other like seasoned thespians until the effects snowball against each other and the next chapter can't come quickly enough.

I thought it was a pity that the ending was so upbeat. Don't read me wrong, I liked and expected the happy finale. Only I cannot forget my shock when I believed Someone has died. I can never forget that. It would have been beyond daring had the scribe thwarted her genre's conventions and given us a cruel parting shot. It would have been Faustian to the point of overshadowing Goethe himself. Rhys Bowen has her cake and eats it. I daresay there are many capable authors who take on the tragic death of children, of surviving twins, of a macabre past and a ruined present. I know how undertaking such a task can be foolhardy. So all the more praise should go to this particular book's author. Well done! My first five star to the Molly Murphy series. About time too. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jul 27, 2014 |
It’s 1903. Molly Murphy Sullivan and her new husband Daniel take a belated honeymoon as the guests of Brian Hannan, a New York City politician and construction company partner. Hannan owns one of the so-called “cottages” in Newport, Rhode Island. The homes are really mansions used for summers by their wealthy owners. Molly and Daniel are staying in a real cottage on the grounds.

But Molly never gets to meet Hannan because he is found dead on the rocks along the shore of Narragansett Bay. It appears at first it’s a tragic accident, but police determine it is murder – and the chief seeks help from Daniel, a NYC police detective, in solving the case. But Daniel is sidelined with a bad cold, which later develops into life-threatening pneumonia. So it’s up to Molly, a private detective, now sidelined after her marriage to Daniel, to solve the case. Then there’s the ghost.

Hush Now, Don’t You Cry is a fine addition to this series. It has a wonderfully complex plot, a slew of characters – any of whom could be the murderer – and top-notch writing. Just what readers expect from Rhys Bowen. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jul 25, 2014 |
“Fresh Meat” by Terrie Farley Moran for Criminal Element

My first introduction to Rhys Bowen came when I began reading her delightfully entertaining series featuring Constable Evan Evans and the sleepy Welsh village of Llanfair. My personal favorite? Evan Can Wait. Then along came the Mollie Murphy series set at the dawn of the 1900s, which brought to life the strong willed and energetic Molly, who, in the first book of the series, Murphy’s Law, is forced, under a murderous cloud, to leave her native Ireland using a false identity, only to run smack into murder on Ellis Island just on the edge of New York City, where she hopes to make a home and build a life for herself. Well, Molly gets out of that scrape, and meets a handsome Irish American police captain in the bargain.

With a need to support herself and her greatest asset an insatiable curiosity Molly decides on a career as a private investigator, an unusual profession for a young single women at the turn of the previous century. But Molly manages to attract clients and build a solidly professional reputation. And of course there is always a need to consult with the handsome police captain, Daniel Sullivan in the process. And so we go merrily along until book number ten of the series. In Bless the Bride, Molly and Daniel are to wed, and Molly has promised to give up her private investigator business and settle in the domestic life of wife, and perhaps some day, mother.

Read the rest at: http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2012/03/fresh-meat-hush-now-dont-you-cry-by...
  CrimeHQ | May 14, 2013 |
Molly is now married to Daniel and on her honeymoon in Newport, RI. Staying in a guest cottage on the grounds of a mansion invited by a wealthy NY businessman who is seeking Daniel's help. They arrive during a torrential rain storm and Daniel get's pneumonia and is confined to bed rest. The next morning Daniel's host is found dead at the bottom of a cliff which leaves Molly to investigate on her own. against his wishes, while worrying about Daniel. Excellent whodunnit. Lots of suspects and I didn't guess the killer until he was revealed at the end. ( )
  Kathy89 | Apr 5, 2012 |
Toora loora loora, Toora loora li Toora loora loora, Hush now, don't you cry. Toora loora loora, toora loora li Toora loora loora. It's an Irish lullaby.
This book is dedicated to Maxine and Bill Everest, with thanks for their friendship, their terrific hospitality, and the fun we've had at their lovely condo in Kona. And also a special dedication to Catherine Swan Gallinger, who has kindly lent her name to one of the characters.
"We should not have come here!" I shouted over the howl of the wind.

In the latest in Rhys Bowen's award-winning historical series, Molly Murphy is supposed to give up sleuthing now that she’s married, but the murder of an alderman puts her on the trail of a killer.

Molly Murphy, now Molly Sullivan, and her husband Daniel, a captain in the New York Police department, have been invited to spend their honeymoon on the Newport, RI, estate of Alderman Brian Hannan in the spring of 1904. Molly doesn’t entirely trust the offer. Hannan—an ambitious man—has his eye on a senate seat and intentions of taking Tammany Hall to get it. When Hannan is found dead at the base of the cliffs that overlook the Atlantic, Molly’s suspicions are quickly justified, and as much as she wants to keep her promise to Daniel that she won’t do any more sleuthing now, there isn’t much she can do once the chase is on. Rhys Bowen’s brilliant wit and charm are on full display in Hush Now, Don’t You Cry, another outstanding addition to her Agatha and Anthony award-winning historical series.

Newly married Molly and her NYPD captain husband reluctantly honeymoon in 1904 Newport at the estate of an ambitious Tammany Hall politician whose subsequent murder challenges Molly's resolve to avoid sleuthing.

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible