Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett

Chloe and the Lion (edition 2012)

by Mac Barnett, Adam Rex (Illustrator)

Member:scribble_weeble
Title:Chloe and the Lion
Authors:Mac Barnett
Other authors:Adam Rex (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Work
Rating:*****
Tags:picture books

Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett

This is probably my new favorite book. The detail, the illustrations, the setup to the main struggle, the dialogue, the 4th wall break, and the story in general are all pure gold. I legitimately laughed out loud while reading this. It's a story about an author and an illustrator arguing over their story, and the hero ends up being the lead character. This book is so meta and incredible and I've never read anything like it. Some of it will go over children's heads (shoutouts to Frankenstein and Little Red), but even kids can understand the humor behind an illustrator drawing things to torment the author and the author writing things to torment the illustrator. This book is brilliant. ( )
  ghelmus | May 19, 2014 |
I thought this book was very unique and creative. At first I did not understand it’s educational purpose, but I picked up on it’s academic value as I read further. The author did something unusual in that he made himself and the illustrator characters in the book that interacted with the book characters. This was an odd, yet funny point of view because the dispute between the author and the illustrator indirectly reinforced the elements of the book. On page 14 the author states, “ This is me, Mac. I’m the author of this book. This is my new friend, Hank. He’s the illustrator of this book. And this is Chloe, the main character of this book…” Normally students are given instruction on textual features such as captions, bolded words, etc., but this was a great way to remind students that books also have authors and illustrators who work hard to publish a book together. This was also reflected in the plot where the main character, author, and illustrator worked to solve a problem together so that they can make a good story. This pushes readers to value collaboration and the importance of all working together. The big idea of this story is that it is important to work as a team so that you can get the best of everyone’s ideas, rather than try to do everything yourself. ( )
  Sulick1 | Mar 28, 2014 |
Loved the ambitious and layered grab-bag mixed media illustrations, but wish the story were a little more robust in and of itself without the explicit "aw everyone's important" padding. (See the very silly and amazing [b:An Undone Fairy Tale|424012|An Undone Fairy Tale|Ian Lendler|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1174617548s/424012.jpg|413107] for a story that in my opinion follows through on its own premise a little bit better.)

There are enough layers and meta-references that I'd put the audience for this as possibly upper elementary, but definitely tweens, teens, & adults.

MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
While younger children may be confused by this story which is only indirectly about Chloe and the lion, older kids (and adults) will enjoy the squabbling between author Mac Barnett and illustrator Adam Rex, who pop in and out in claymation form as they argue over the vision of the story. A fun take on the creative and collaborative processes involved in book creation. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rex, AdamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Mac, the author, fires Adam, the illustrator, over their artistic differences about Chloe, the main character of their book, until Mac realizes both of their talents are needed and they must work together or their story about Chloe will never be finished.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,709,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible