Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett

Chloe and the Lion (edition 2012)

by Mac Barnett, Adam Rex (Illustrator)

Member:scribble_weeble
Title:Chloe and the Lion
Authors:Mac Barnett
Other authors:Adam Rex (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Work
Rating:*****
Tags:picture books

Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett

This book made me laugh out loud! Then I had to read it to my husband. The humor is great and the surprises on each page made it very enjoyable. This would be a great book to read to younger students then talk to them about cooperating and working together. I think our school counselor would like to use it too. It is also a great book to discuss characters and how they can interact with the reader.
  PolyDrive | Feb 3, 2015 |
This book has actually grown on me since reding it out loud to children. At first I felt that it was quite random and strange with simply silly things happening. But kids love it! They love seeing the different directions a story can take based on what the author may write and what the illustrator draws. I would use this to talk about story development and how illustrations go with the text. ( )
  amrahmn | Feb 3, 2015 |
This story is as much or more about the author-illustrator relationship as it is about Chloe and the lion. ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 26, 2015 |
Summary:

The book starts with author introducing himself, his main character and his friend and illustrator. Then he begins to tell the story of his main character Chloe, who encounters a lion, except the illustrator draws a dragon instead of a lion because he thinks it is cooler. The author gets mad and gets another illustrator then then he has the lion eat Mac the first illustrator. But then the other illustrator does draw the lion like the author wanted so decides to do it himself, but he can't draw so he apologizes to the first illustrator. and he and Chloe device a plan to get Mac back from the Lion by embarrassing the lion.

Review:

This is a great book! The story is super clever, not only the one the author is telling but the story going on between the author and illustrator. The author works himself and the illustrator into the story and then add his main character seamlessly. The illustrations were great because they were so varied. The illustrator combined many different types of mediums. He used clay, color pencil, 3d modeling and 2d illustrations. The text features in the in story were also very creative and added to the story. ( )
  ycinto1 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Summary: Mac, the author, Adam, the illustrator, and Chloe, the main character all work together to create a story about a lion in the woods. Chloe likes to look for enough missing change to get her a ticket to ride the merry-go-round, although one day she found a lot of change that bought her many tickets. She ended up flying into the woods, and there was a lion! although the illustration resembled a dragon, so Mac fired Adam, and Adam was eaten by the Lion. Mac then found another illustrator and, and the new illustrator was not as talented as Adam, so Mac began to draw. Because his illustrations were horrible, Mac was about to give up until Chloe encouraged him to hire Adam back. Chloe searches for the Lion, who coughed up Adam. The story was about to end until Chloe said, "Is that it? I mean, I faced a lion, saved Adam, kept Mac from abandoning the whole story midway through..." The Lion ended up shaking a bunch of change out that bought enough tickets to ride the merry-go-round all over again.

As one of my favorite books I have read so far, the storyline and illustration really kept me engaged and smiling. I believe the central message of this story is based on kindness and teamwork. Even though Mac fired Adam, they came back together in the end and apologized to each other, and Chloe assisted Mac along the way by encouraging him not to give up. I like how this book included illustrations of the author and the illustrator, so you could see cartoon images of them. I also like how the text and font changes throughout he story to match the plot. For instance, when Chloe is searching for the lion late at night in the forest, the font gets bigger when it says "Chloe could hear the lion's footsteps getting closer and closer. They started out thunderous and grew to be earsplitting." Closer and closer, thunderous, and earsplitting were all bigger than the rest of the words, which adds a scary dynamic to the book. It also highlights vocabulary that is important to what is happening in the story. ( )
  mkaray1 | Oct 9, 2014 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rex, AdamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Mac, the author, fires Adam, the illustrator, over their artistic differences about Chloe, the main character of their book, until Mac realizes both of their talents are needed and they must work together or their story about Chloe will never be finished.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible