Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett

Chloe and the Lion (edition 2012)

by Mac Barnett, Adam Rex (Illustrator)

Member:scribble_weeble
Title:Chloe and the Lion
Authors:Mac Barnett
Other authors:Adam Rex (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Work
Rating:*****
Tags:picture books

Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett

Summary:

The book starts with author introducing himself, his main character and his friend and illustrator. Then he begins to tell the story of his main character Chloe, who encounters a lion, except the illustrator draws a dragon instead of a lion because he thinks it is cooler. The author gets mad and gets another illustrator then then he has the lion eat Mac the first illustrator. But then the other illustrator does draw the lion like the author wanted so decides to do it himself, but he can't draw so he apologizes to the first illustrator. and he and Chloe device a plan to get Mac back from the Lion by embarrassing the lion.

Review:

This is a great book! The story is super clever, not only the one the author is telling but the story going on between the author and illustrator. The author works himself and the illustrator into the story and then add his main character seamlessly. The illustrations were great because they were so varied. The illustrator combined many different types of mediums. He used clay, color pencil, 3d modeling and 2d illustrations. The text features in the in story were also very creative and added to the story. ( )
  ycinto1 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Summary: Mac, the author, Adam, the illustrator, and Chloe, the main character all work together to create a story about a lion in the woods. Chloe likes to look for enough missing change to get her a ticket to ride the merry-go-round, although one day she found a lot of change that bought her many tickets. She ended up flying into the woods, and there was a lion! although the illustration resembled a dragon, so Mac fired Adam, and Adam was eaten by the Lion. Mac then found another illustrator and, and the new illustrator was not as talented as Adam, so Mac began to draw. Because his illustrations were horrible, Mac was about to give up until Chloe encouraged him to hire Adam back. Chloe searches for the Lion, who coughed up Adam. The story was about to end until Chloe said, "Is that it? I mean, I faced a lion, saved Adam, kept Mac from abandoning the whole story midway through..." The Lion ended up shaking a bunch of change out that bought enough tickets to ride the merry-go-round all over again.

As one of my favorite books I have read so far, the storyline and illustration really kept me engaged and smiling. I believe the central message of this story is based on kindness and teamwork. Even though Mac fired Adam, they came back together in the end and apologized to each other, and Chloe assisted Mac along the way by encouraging him not to give up. I like how this book included illustrations of the author and the illustrator, so you could see cartoon images of them. I also like how the text and font changes throughout he story to match the plot. For instance, when Chloe is searching for the lion late at night in the forest, the font gets bigger when it says "Chloe could hear the lion's footsteps getting closer and closer. They started out thunderous and grew to be earsplitting." Closer and closer, thunderous, and earsplitting were all bigger than the rest of the words, which adds a scary dynamic to the book. It also highlights vocabulary that is important to what is happening in the story. ( )
  mkaray1 | Oct 9, 2014 |
The book was creative and unique from other children's books. It definitely established the roles of author, illustrator, and character throughout the story. It did this by including all three people within the content, illustrations, plot, and dialogue. For example, the author would get angry with the illustrator for no drawing the correct animal for the story. He told the illustrator, "You're the illustrator. That means I'm in charge of what happens, and you draw whatever I tell you." This specific type of interaction brings the relationship between the author and illustrator to life. Another way the book was creative and unique was the use of mixed media. Paint, clay, paper, crayon, and other media were used throughout the story. Usually an artist sticks with one form media. The use of different media emphasized the different roles coming together within the story. For example, the characters in the book are generally done with paint whereas the "real life" author and illustrator characters were made with clay. This is a great way to create a clear distinction between real life and fictional characters. The book felt slightly chaotic and repetitive at times but I think its unique approach to telling a story is worth reading. I just didn't like the use of the word "idiot" to describe the knight. I personally wouldn't want children to be encouraged to use that word. The central message of the book is to appreciate who you have in your life and there is always a way to make things better again. ( )
  GinaBayne | Sep 22, 2014 |
This is probably my new favorite book. The detail, the illustrations, the setup to the main struggle, the dialogue, the 4th wall break, and the story in general are all pure gold. I legitimately laughed out loud while reading this. It's a story about an author and an illustrator arguing over their story, and the hero ends up being the lead character. This book is so meta and incredible and I've never read anything like it. Some of it will go over children's heads (shoutouts to Frankenstein and Little Red), but even kids can understand the humor behind an illustrator drawing things to torment the author and the author writing things to torment the illustrator. This book is brilliant. ( )
  ghelmus | May 19, 2014 |
I thought this book was very unique and creative. At first I did not understand it’s educational purpose, but I picked up on it’s academic value as I read further. The author did something unusual in that he made himself and the illustrator characters in the book that interacted with the book characters. This was an odd, yet funny point of view because the dispute between the author and the illustrator indirectly reinforced the elements of the book. On page 14 the author states, “ This is me, Mac. I’m the author of this book. This is my new friend, Hank. He’s the illustrator of this book. And this is Chloe, the main character of this book…” Normally students are given instruction on textual features such as captions, bolded words, etc., but this was a great way to remind students that books also have authors and illustrators who work hard to publish a book together. This was also reflected in the plot where the main character, author, and illustrator worked to solve a problem together so that they can make a good story. This pushes readers to value collaboration and the importance of all working together. The big idea of this story is that it is important to work as a team so that you can get the best of everyone’s ideas, rather than try to do everything yourself. ( )
  Sulick1 | Mar 28, 2014 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rex, AdamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Mac, the author, fires Adam, the illustrator, over their artistic differences about Chloe, the main character of their book, until Mac realizes both of their talents are needed and they must work together or their story about Chloe will never be finished.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,918,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible