Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett

Chloe and the Lion (edition 2012)

by Mac Barnett, Adam Rex (Illustrator)

12020100,400 (4.37)1
Member:scribble_weeble
Title:Chloe and the Lion
Authors:Mac Barnett
Other authors:Adam Rex (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Work
Rating:*****
Tags:picture books

Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett

The book was creative and unique from other children's books. It definitely established the roles of author, illustrator, and character throughout the story. It did this by including all three people within the content, illustrations, plot, and dialogue. For example, the author would get angry with the illustrator for no drawing the correct animal for the story. He told the illustrator, "You're the illustrator. That means I'm in charge of what happens, and you draw whatever I tell you." This specific type of interaction brings the relationship between the author and illustrator to life. Another way the book was creative and unique was the use of mixed media. Paint, clay, paper, crayon, and other media were used throughout the story. Usually an artist sticks with one form media. The use of different media emphasized the different roles coming together within the story. For example, the characters in the book are generally done with paint whereas the "real life" author and illustrator characters were made with clay. This is a great way to create a clear distinction between real life and fictional characters. The book felt slightly chaotic and repetitive at times but I think its unique approach to telling a story is worth reading. I just didn't like the use of the word "idiot" to describe the knight. I personally wouldn't want children to be encouraged to use that word. The central message of the book is to appreciate who you have in your life and there is always a way to make things better again. ( )
  GinaBayne | Sep 22, 2014 |
This is probably my new favorite book. The detail, the illustrations, the setup to the main struggle, the dialogue, the 4th wall break, and the story in general are all pure gold. I legitimately laughed out loud while reading this. It's a story about an author and an illustrator arguing over their story, and the hero ends up being the lead character. This book is so meta and incredible and I've never read anything like it. Some of it will go over children's heads (shoutouts to Frankenstein and Little Red), but even kids can understand the humor behind an illustrator drawing things to torment the author and the author writing things to torment the illustrator. This book is brilliant. ( )
  ghelmus | May 19, 2014 |
I thought this book was very unique and creative. At first I did not understand it’s educational purpose, but I picked up on it’s academic value as I read further. The author did something unusual in that he made himself and the illustrator characters in the book that interacted with the book characters. This was an odd, yet funny point of view because the dispute between the author and the illustrator indirectly reinforced the elements of the book. On page 14 the author states, “ This is me, Mac. I’m the author of this book. This is my new friend, Hank. He’s the illustrator of this book. And this is Chloe, the main character of this book…” Normally students are given instruction on textual features such as captions, bolded words, etc., but this was a great way to remind students that books also have authors and illustrators who work hard to publish a book together. This was also reflected in the plot where the main character, author, and illustrator worked to solve a problem together so that they can make a good story. This pushes readers to value collaboration and the importance of all working together. The big idea of this story is that it is important to work as a team so that you can get the best of everyone’s ideas, rather than try to do everything yourself. ( )
  Sulick1 | Mar 28, 2014 |
Loved the ambitious and layered grab-bag mixed media illustrations, but wish the story were a little more robust in and of itself without the explicit "aw everyone's important" padding. (See the very silly and amazing [b:An Undone Fairy Tale|424012|An Undone Fairy Tale|Ian Lendler|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1174617548s/424012.jpg|413107] for a story that in my opinion follows through on its own premise a little bit better.)

There are enough layers and meta-references that I'd put the audience for this as possibly upper elementary, but definitely tweens, teens, & adults.

MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rex, AdamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Mac, the author, fires Adam, the illustrator, over their artistic differences about Chloe, the main character of their book, until Mac realizes both of their talents are needed and they must work together or their story about Chloe will never be finished.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,982,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible