Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book…

Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five) (edition 2012)

by Kevin Hearne

Member:Cathy_Keaton
Title:Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five)
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Trapped by Kevin Hearne

Book 5 is set 12 years after Tricked and 6 years after an e-novella, Two Ravens and One Crow. This is a downside that the events to the novella keep getting referenced and if the reader hasn’t read it they are really left wondering exactly what happened. The book opens with Atticus getting ready to do the final part of making Granuaile a full druid. And of course it is promptly interrupted. Everything from Hammered is still rippling out in the story arc and the entire book has Atticus in hiding with Granuaile to try and finish the final step and of course that takes months of nothing but being bonded with Gaia and open to attack. The book was ok but it really had that middle book feeling to it. Will have to get the e-book and find out what happened six years ago.

Digital review copy provided by Netgalley ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
I took a bit of a break between the previous book in this series and this one. But I am very glad that I came back to it. This was one of my favourite instalments so far...

There was a bit of romance that I think any series readers would have already seen coming. I don't know that it added anything to the story, however. It was not detailed or graphic and, actually, the sex scenes were treated more like interlude between events... something that was there just to give the sense of time passing.

There is plenty of Oberon too. Not so much that he got annoying, but enough that it was pretty funny when he did 'speak up'. There was just a bit of mythological history in here; quite a bit less than some of the other books in the series. I liked that Hearne didn't try to turn it into a myth text book.

The story is told via a series of vingette encounters with the 'bad guys' and I have to admit the overarching storyline that held these little segments together was a little on the sparse side. It felt mostly like: attack A, escape and investigate, attack B, escape and romantic interlude, attack C confront the source and resolve.

Hah... even saying all that, I still really enjoyed this book. The pacing is terrific, Oberon is terrific, even Atticus has some decent one-liners. I don't think you'd enjoy it nearly as much if you hadn't read the rest of the series. There is no cliffhanger, but I will be reading the next in the series. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jun 27, 2014 |
After twelve years of training, it's time for Druid Atticus O’Sullivan to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth, but someone has closed all the portals to Europe, except the one to Olympus, much too close to the Greek pantheon than is comfortable for Atticus. Another good installment in this series, full of gods from all over the world, magical creatures from all mythologies, and a lot of sword-fights and other bloody and painful hi-jinks. I like that Granuaile gets a lot of room in this book and her animal forms are a lot of fun. And then there's Oberon, of course, who is a constant source of entertainment. Looking forward to continuing the series. ( )
  -Eva- | Jun 21, 2014 |
This one just didn't seem as much fun as the previous books. I get that we have the cascading consequences of Atticus' action in book 2--but the carnage was not equalized with the humor here, and I think it suffers for it. And I'm bummed because I just realized that these books cannot be lent to my sister's Kindle, and that was one of the reasons I bought the Kindle versions. ( )
  ronincats | May 21, 2014 |
Another great installment to the Iron Druid Chronicles. I was releaved that the series hasn't felt dragged out. I love the fact that Hearne has used the Norse and Celtic myths. They have always fascinated me and I'm glad that Hearne has been able to incorporate these into a successful fiction.
I think I'm going to die of a nosebleed this book was so great.

Cheers Pretties! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
To sum up, Trapped is a bit incomplete in and of itself, but still an entertaining addition to the overall story arc Hearne is building. The series delivers serious entertainment value for your hard-earned dollars. Just make sure you start with the first book, rather than this one. If you do, you won't be disappointed.

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who have glimpsed divinity in beauty
or
to anyone who's ever had to think about baseball
You know those spastic full-body twitches you get sometimes when you're almost asleep and your muscles want to play a practical joke on your brain?

After 12 years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave.

Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge - but he’ll have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do lists.

After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O'Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he is still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave. Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge, but he will have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do-lists… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible