Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book…

Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five) (edition 2012)

by Kevin Hearne

Member:Cathy_Keaton
Title:Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five)
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Trapped by Kevin Hearne (Author)

Once I read the blurb on Trapped, “Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice to the Earth” I had a sense of foreboding. I knew exactly what was going to happen. Atticus would spend the whole book trying to complete the ritual with Granuaile and it wouldn’t actually happen until the very end. I wasn’t wrong.

There’s a lot I enjoyed in Trapped. The story is action-packed and fast paced as Hearne throws a myriad of obstacles at Atticus. I appreciated the chase, and also seeing how accomplished Granuaile has become, even before she gets her druidic powers. It was also great to see Atticus finally become proactive and go on the offensive for once. The interplay between the two of them and the continued will they/won’t hey of their potential romance amidst the mayhem, was well done.

On the downside, the book was predictable, especially with dragging out the binding. There was a lot of running around, but very little if anything was resolved. This left me somewhat undecided about how to rate the book. I was glad Granuaile finally becomes a druid, but disappointed that everything else that happens was obviously set up for future novels (the Dark Elves, Loki teased again, the vampires).

Overall, I enjoyed Trapped but it still felt like a bridge novel - filler between two greater stories. I’m eager to see what happens with the Dark Elves and, eventually, Ragnarok, but hope the next book has a more self-contained plot. ( )
  jshillingford | Jun 21, 2016 |
Fun read, if not always well written. ( )
  libgirl69 | May 11, 2016 |
Trapped takes Atticus and Grainuale through the process of binding her as a Druid. Of course its not simple or easy and a lot of people are getting in the way. Oh and Loki is free and Hel is trying to help. The Tuatha de Dannan have spies helping the Dark Elves in their assassination attempts on Atticus, so you now normal stuff for him. Looking forward to more in this series. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Hot Damn! Boy, this was a fun read. Lots of action, quick paced, and loads of clever quips. This series should serve as an example for what Urban Fantasy is all about.
I cast my vote that Oberon, Savior of Bacon, should get his own novella. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
Another good installment in a good series. I liked this one a little less than the earlier ones, though I did appreciate some of the more thoughtful and philosophical parts of this one. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
To sum up, Trapped is a bit incomplete in and of itself, but still an entertaining addition to the overall story arc Hearne is building. The series delivers serious entertainment value for your hard-earned dollars. Just make sure you start with the first book, rather than this one. If you do, you won't be disappointed.

Hearne, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who have glimpsed divinity in beauty
or
to anyone who's ever had to think about baseball
You know those spastic full-body twitches you get sometimes when you're almost asleep and your muscles want to play a practical joke on your brain?

After 12 years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave.

Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge - but he’ll have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do lists.

After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O'Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he is still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave. Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge, but he will have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do-lists… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,725,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible