Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles 5) by Kevin…

Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles 5) (edition 2012)

by Kevin Hearne

361None30,043 (4.06)24
Member:JPKangas
Title:Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles 5)
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:English novels
Rating:***

Trapped by Kevin Hearne

Originally posted at FanLit:
It??s">http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/trapped/

Itƒ??s
been a long 12 years, but finally Atticus Oƒ??Sullivan is finished training his druid apprentice, Granuaile. Atticus and Granuaile faked their deaths and have been living in a trailer under the names Sterling Silver and Betty Baker, hoping they can get the training done before the gods find out theyƒ??re not really dead. (Kevin Hearne doesnƒ??t tell us much about what happened during those 12 years, but he did write a novella, Two Ravens and One Crow, about an adventure that Atticus and the Morrigan had at about the halfway mark. You donƒ??t have to read Two Ravens and One Crow before reading Trapped, but if you plan to read the novella anyway, it would work best to read it first since the adventure told in Two Ravens and One Crow is relevant to the plot of Trapped.)

For the reader, it doesnƒ??t really feel like 12 years has gone by because Atticus, Granuaile, and Oberon donƒ??t age (thanks to Mortali-Tea). Probably the most significant aspect of the 12 year interlude is that all this time Atticus and Granuaile have been pining for each other, but their master/student relationship has, at Atticusƒ?? insistence, remained strictly professional.

Now itƒ??s time to bind Granuaile to the earth. This involves a weeks-long tattooing binge during which the earth will instruct Atticus about which forms he will need to ink all over Granuaileƒ??s entire body. Sounds like fun. The problem is that just about this time the gods, who are out to get Atticus and to stop him from training an apprentice, discover that Atticus and Granuaile are not only alive and well, but are about to create a new druid. They do not want that to happen. Also, Atticus finds out that he must go to Mount Olympus to do the binding. What luck. So now our two favorite druids and Oberon, their trusty Irish Wolfhound, are in danger again and may be walking into a trap. Can they stay hidden under the godsƒ?? noses long enough to complete the binding ceremony? Also, does the appearance of Loki mean that Ragnarok is right around the corner?

Thereƒ??s lots of action and intrigue in Trapped as the druids and their dog visit the faery court (which is a big disappointment to Granuaile), travel to Mount Olympus, and then spend a lot of time hiding, sneaking around, running away, and fighting Roman, Greek, Norse, and Celtic gods, as well as vampires, dark elves, and even clowns. It seems like every dark supernatural creature has a reason to want Atticus and Granuaile, Earthƒ??s last two druids, to be definitely dead this time. Some readers will probably think Hearne threw in too much at this point (whereƒ??s the kitchen sink?), and I would tend to agree with them, but others will, no doubt, find it amusing.

The main reason fans love THE IRON DRUID CHRONICLES is the characters, and theyƒ??re in fine form, as usual, in Trapped. Atticus and Granuaile are terrific heroes, as always, and their bacon-loving sidekick Oberon provides some intelligent humor. In this installment, Oberon is working on his own writing career. Very cute. I love Kevin Hearneƒ??s sense of humor (which means that his books automatically go on my TBR list forevermore).

At the end of Trapped it doesnƒ??t feel like much got resolved. Compared to the previous installments, thereƒ??s very little closure in Trapped, and thereƒ??s even a cliffhanger. Readers will be glad that the next book, appropriately named Hunted, has just been released. Iƒ??ve been listening to this series in audio format which is brilliantly narrated by Luke Daniels. I highly recommend this version. Iƒ??d also like to say that I think the cover of Trapped is the best cover yet. I wish I had a poster version to hang up in my bedroom. (Except, I donƒ??t do that anymore.) ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This was probably my least favourite installment to date; that being said, I’m still giving it four stars because Kevin Hearne’s humor and sharp writing continue to dazzle me even though in this particular instance the story did not. TRAPPED felt like a segue book; it’s twelve years later and the time has come for Granuaile to become a druid, but in order for that to happen the author had to tie up a few loose ends and introduce new plot threads. I still found it to be an enjoyable listen; Oberon always manages to bring a smile to my face, and Luke Daniels is an incredibly talented narrator who could make algebra sound interesting.

All of the previous novels in this series have revolved around a particular lore whether it is the Tuatha Dé Danann or Thor the thunder god. This installment introduces Olympian mythology which I’m assuming will be the main focus of HUNTED and dabbles in Norse a bit as well, but otherwise it’s mostly about Granuaile. When she first showed up in THE IRON DRUID CHRONICLES I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect, but her character has grown on me over the last few novels, and she really shines in this latest one. I like how she challenges O’Sullivan at every turn and yet is still the yin to his yang. I was so happy with the turn their relationship takes in TRAPPED.

I continue to consistently laugh out loud whenever I listen to these audiobooks. Oberon’s up to his usual antics except this time it’s a new religion called Poochism, and he now gets double the attention because Granuaile can speak to him too. Atticus’ “Nigel from Toronto” identity makes another appearance along with a fun (and accurate) pop culture reference about the Leaf’s hockey team and their penchant for suckage (fyi I’m a Habs fan). In fact, this novel is full of Canadian Easter eggs because the gang even hides out in good ol’ Manitoba for a stint. O’Sullivan’s fifteen centuries of blaming the dark elves for EVERYTHING finally comes to bite him in the butt too when they decide that enough is enough.

Luke Daniels continues to hold me in thrall with his infectious energy and authentic narration. His enactment of Oberon is always good for a chuckle, and he makes a splendid Atticus O’Sullivan as well. Heck, even his rendition of Granuaile is good! I don’t think I’d be finding this series nearly as entertaining as I am without his voice in my ears. Daniels is equally as skilled at delivering punch lines as he is upping the pace during the action scenes; although, this installment was a little tamer that its predecessors because he didn’t have to read from a giant squirrel’s POV or sing one of the wolfhound’s silly songs.

I gave my guy book 1 for Christmas, and at the time of this review’s writing, he’d jumped ahead of me and had already started reading HUNTED; I’m told that it’s his favourite installment so far. Now, coming from a man who normally reads only a couple of novels a year read, six in two months is a testament and a half to this series’ awesomeness. TRAPPED is the worst of the best and when you’re talking about Kevin Hearne’s writing that still means that it was pretty darned good. ( )
  RabidReads | Apr 4, 2014 |
I finished this whole series in a little over a week. It is amazing! If you like fantasy, mythology, set with a modern day twist... read this series.

AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
Decent entertainment with some fun dialogue and humor (especially from Oberon as usual). Oddly enough I was actually happy to see Atticus get hurt. Given that all the gods are pretty much afraid of him now (and he seems to knock them off pretty easily) it was refreshing to actually see him taken down in a fight.

A couple of things annoy me though and keep me from rating this higher. Firstly, Atticus is supposed to be 2000 years old but he seems to have the emotional maturity of the bacon scarfing hipster doofus intern at my company. I like the fact that he's decided to live fully in the world and keep up with things but his lack of planning and understanding consequences is pretty lame for someone so old. I mean, I'm better at seeing where certain actions may lead in my 40s than I was in my 20s. I can't imagine another 1950 years. Also, I know a lot of people ship them, but I'm squicked out by his relationship with Granuaile. I understand that she's an adult but they've still had a mentor type relationship if not a student/teacher one. I probably could have handled it if they had been apart for a number of years and then reconnected but as it was it was like sleeping with your professor the day you graduate. Maybe it's technically legal but to me it's kind of icky.

So those are my issues. I still enjoy these books but some of that it what's keeping the series from becoming an absolute favorite. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
More detailed review coming later. I love them all but the one prior to this had me worried as it was bit over the top snark wise and though action filled was not one of the best. This one was back to the right level and.balance of bacon, baddassery & beginnings as well as endings (especially clown deaths)!

****spoiler possible******

PLUS I finally had my "Mulder-Sully" infection cured as well as getting our Clever Girl fully power up!! ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
To sum up, Trapped is a bit incomplete in and of itself, but still an entertaining addition to the overall story arc Hearne is building. The series delivers serious entertainment value for your hard-earned dollars. Just make sure you start with the first book, rather than this one. If you do, you won't be disappointed.

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who have glimpsed divinity in beauty
or
to anyone who's ever had to think about baseball
You know those spastic full-body twitches you get sometimes when you're almost asleep and your muscles want to play a practical joke on your brain?

After 12 years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave.

Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge - but he’ll have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do lists.

After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O'Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he is still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave. Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge, but he will have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do-lists… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible