Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book…

Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five) (edition 2012)

by Kevin Hearne

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five)
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Trapped by Kevin Hearne

I wasn’t super enamored with Tricked, the fourth book in the Iron Druid series, and I was really hoping that with Trapped, the series would be redeemed. One my biggest complaints about Tricked were the frequent info dumps by way of story-telling. Since Trapped returned to a mythology more familiar to readers of the series, I was hoping that tactic would be avoided. However, it happened several times, and whenever it did, it interrupted the action and broke up the flow of the narrative. I felt like the stories were unnecessary distractions from the main plot line.

Another issue I have is that we were not able to see Atticus’s and Granuaile’s relationship develop. The span between the last book and this one is twelve years, but when the book opens, I didn’t perceive any difference in their interactions with each other. Certainly no signs that would suggest twelve years of constantly spending time together. The twelve year gap didn’t make much sense all around, in my opinion. It’s an insult to the readers to expect them to believe that after the events of the first four books (and one short story), nobody managed to locate Atticus for nearly the entire training period, and then all of a sudden, everybody’s after him. Vampires! Elves! Greek Gods! They all managed to locate exactly which outdoor goods store he is in and attack him. Twice.

Of course, Atticus takes care of all that. There are frequent fight scenes where he manages to dispatch beings that are, by way of what explanation we get, older, more powerful, and frequently have special powers. I can’t think of a situation where there is any real concern that he and Granuaile might not make it out. He always has a convenient solution to escape any scrape he finds himself in. Obviously, I want a character who is strong and triumphs in the end, but it is also hard to believe that he never stumbles on the path getting there.

Luckily, we do have Oberon the dog, who almost single-handedly got me through the book with his witty quips and confusion about human “mating habits.” There were a few other characters that I liked as well, including Perun, the Slavic thunder god, who was pretty great in the first few chapters. Unfortunately, for me, that’s about it. While the major story line hasn’t been tied up yet, I’m confident that at the end of it all, Atticus will be victorious. However, there just isn’t enough development to keep me invested as to how he gets there. I may give the next book a try, but it won’t be high on my to read pile. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
Atticus continues his Quest, kills a few more gods. Despite those distractions, he manages to complete Granuaile's Druidic training and start the binding process. Oberon contiues to provide dogmatic bet apt advice while seeking the ultimate sausage. ( )
  jamespurcell | Oct 23, 2014 |
I finished this whole series in a little over a week. It is amazing! If you like fantasy, mythology, set with a modern day twist... read this series.

autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Book 5 is set 12 years after Tricked and 6 years after an e-novella, Two Ravens and One Crow. This is a downside that the events to the novella keep getting referenced and if the reader hasn’t read it they are really left wondering exactly what happened. The book opens with Atticus getting ready to do the final part of making Granuaile a full druid. And of course it is promptly interrupted. Everything from Hammered is still rippling out in the story arc and the entire book has Atticus in hiding with Granuaile to try and finish the final step and of course that takes months of nothing but being bonded with Gaia and open to attack. The book was ok but it really had that middle book feeling to it. Will have to get the e-book and find out what happened six years ago.

Digital review copy provided by Netgalley ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
I took a bit of a break between the previous book in this series and this one. But I am very glad that I came back to it. This was one of my favourite instalments so far...

There was a bit of romance that I think any series readers would have already seen coming. I don't know that it added anything to the story, however. It was not detailed or graphic and, actually, the sex scenes were treated more like interlude between events... something that was there just to give the sense of time passing.

There is plenty of Oberon too. Not so much that he got annoying, but enough that it was pretty funny when he did 'speak up'. There was just a bit of mythological history in here; quite a bit less than some of the other books in the series. I liked that Hearne didn't try to turn it into a myth text book.

The story is told via a series of vingette encounters with the 'bad guys' and I have to admit the overarching storyline that held these little segments together was a little on the sparse side. It felt mostly like: attack A, escape and investigate, attack B, escape and romantic interlude, attack C confront the source and resolve.

Hah... even saying all that, I still really enjoyed this book. The pacing is terrific, Oberon is terrific, even Atticus has some decent one-liners. I don't think you'd enjoy it nearly as much if you hadn't read the rest of the series. There is no cliffhanger, but I will be reading the next in the series. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jun 27, 2014 |
To sum up, Trapped is a bit incomplete in and of itself, but still an entertaining addition to the overall story arc Hearne is building. The series delivers serious entertainment value for your hard-earned dollars. Just make sure you start with the first book, rather than this one. If you do, you won't be disappointed.

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who have glimpsed divinity in beauty
or
to anyone who's ever had to think about baseball
You know those spastic full-body twitches you get sometimes when you're almost asleep and your muscles want to play a practical joke on your brain?

After 12 years of secret training, Atticus O’Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he’s still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave.

Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge - but he’ll have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do lists.

After twelve years of secret training, Atticus O'Sullivan is finally ready to bind his apprentice, Granuaile, to the earth and double the number of Druids in the world. But on the eve of the ritual, the world that thought he was dead abruptly discovers that he is still alive, and they would much rather he return to the grave. Having no other choice, Atticus, his trusted Irish wolfhound, Oberon, and Granuaile travel to the base of Mount Olympus, where the Roman god Bacchus is anxious to take his sworn revenge, but he will have to get in line behind an ancient vampire, a band of dark elves, and an old god of mischief, who all seem to have KILL THE DRUID at the top of their to-do-lists… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,487,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible