Tricked by Kevin Hearne

Tricked

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (4)

8205411,078 (4.12)72

English (53)  German (1)  All (54)
I am afraid that I do not feel that this book series is improving. One of the things that makes these books fun to read are the fairly hilarious dialogue between Atticus and his wolfhound Oberon and, luckily, this is still there. Unfortunately this is pretty much the only enjoyable element of this book and even this is somewhat diminished by Oberon being disabled for a good chunk of the book. Sure, Atticus and Granuaile are not too bad together but anyway, some lines of fun dialogue do not make a book alone.

The story in this book is fairly ludicrous and contrived. Apart from a few paragraphs at the beginning it does not really advance the main story very much. This I could live with if it did not feel like this story is mostly an ill contrived filler. Worse is that it seems to be put together only to give the author an opportunity to do some preaching about environmental issues and native indian affairs. The semi-bad guy Coyote wants to build windmills and solar power plants. Atticus goes away like some uber-hippie sabotaging coal mines and Granuaile reveals that she wanted to become druid to avenge some relative that is in the oil business? What the f…? That’s just a load of things coming out of the rear end of a bull and certainly not what I want to read about in a book.

Even without these elements the story would not have been very good. We are talking about a 2000 year old druid who is tricked like a schoolboy by Coyote. Not funny. It is a shame really. This 2000 year old thing is really what intrigued me to start the series and could have been used to good effect but it really has just been wasted so far in these books.

These books have all been quite light reading and I was not expecting much in terms of plot but at this point I have serious doubts as to whether I want to continue this series. I am stubborn and really really do not like not to finish a book series that I have started so I probably will but the next instalment better be an improvement over this one.
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
A-

Atticus just can't catch a break. This is a great addition to the series.

I hate the voice that the audiobook narrator assigns to Oberon.
  fierce_bunny | Sep 12, 2017 |
I enjoyed this installment of the Iron Druid chronicles more than book 3. This time Atticus isn't battling gods, he's taking on skinwalkers at the behest of Coyote. He's also doesn't have the right answer for the threat of the skinwalkers, for once he's actually challenged and forced to work at keeping them at bay. His dog is still the star of the show and his budding romance with his apprentice is a nice change from the previous books also. ( )
  Karlstar | Aug 28, 2017 |
All of my complaints about the earlier books [sex goddesses at a drop of a hat, pop culture references out the wazoo, immature behavior from a 2000 year old man] were pretty much dealt with in this book. It is almost like the author read all my complaints and fixed them.

However, it is too late. This IS the final Iron Druid book for me. Urban fantasy has to be done perfectly for me to keep reading it, as I don't particularly care for UF.

Maybe if the series had started out like this book and not the previous three, I would keep on going. But I just don't care.

Atticus comes across as a spoiled brat [even when talking about his past wife and kids, it still came across as me, me, me"] and while I don't usually root for the hero to get hurt, I just wanted to smack the attitude out of him and pound him til he breaks, bloodily.

If you've enjoyed, a lot, the previous books, I think you'll like this book as much and will probably like the future books. I just can't take any more UF..." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
With this book, I feel the Iron Druid series regains the track it had lost in the last book. Tricked captures the feel of the first two books and is a highly enjoyable read. In this book, the Navajo trickster god Coyote is a major player, and he lends a nice element of chaos and unpredictability to the story. Highly recommended for those who have enjoyed the series thus far. ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |

Hearne, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alan O'Bryan,
who bravely stands in front of my word vomit
and tells me to clean it up.
He is an outstanding alpha reader
and the finest of friends.
This is not a trick.
The best trick I ever pulled off was watching myself die.

Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert.

But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shape-shifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.

Druid Atticus O'Sullivan has battled vengeful Norse thunder gods before, and with a little help from a Navajo trickster god Coyote,he dupes them into thinking they chopped him up in the Arizona dessert. The Navajo Coyote is not above his own mischief and Atticus is battling for survival from an unlikely source.… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,008,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible