Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles) by Kevin…

Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles) (edition 2012)

by Kevin Hearne

Member:pallaca
Title:Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles)
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Hachette Digital (2012), Kindle Edition, 366 pages

Tricked by Kevin Hearne (Author)

English (61)  German (2)  All languages (63)
I am afraid that I do not feel that this book series is improving. One of the things that makes these books fun to read are the fairly hilarious dialogue between Atticus and his wolfhound Oberon and, luckily, this is still there. Unfortunately this is pretty much the only enjoyable element of this book and even this is somewhat diminished by Oberon being disabled for a good chunk of the book. Sure, Atticus and Granuaile are not too bad together but anyway, some lines of fun dialogue do not make a book alone.

The story in this book is fairly ludicrous and contrived. Apart from a few paragraphs at the beginning it does not really advance the main story very much. This I could live with if it did not feel like this story is mostly an ill contrived filler. Worse is that it seems to be put together only to give the author an opportunity to do some preaching about environmental issues and native indian affairs. The semi-bad guy Coyote wants to build windmills and solar power plants. Atticus goes away like some uber-hippie sabotaging coal mines and Granuaile reveals that she wanted to become druid to avenge some relative that is in the oil business? What the f…? That’s just a load of things coming out of the rear end of a bull and certainly not what I want to read about in a book.

Even without these elements the story would not have been very good. We are talking about a 2000 year old druid who is tricked like a schoolboy by Coyote. Not funny. It is a shame really. This 2000 year old thing is really what intrigued me to start the series and could have been used to good effect but it really has just been wasted so far in these books.

These books have all been quite light reading and I was not expecting much in terms of plot but at this point I have serious doubts as to whether I want to continue this series. I am stubborn and really really do not like not to finish a book series that I have started so I probably will but the next instalment better be an improvement over this one.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
One aspect of the Iron Druid books that I am truly enjoying is their digestibility. I've torn through the first four books in a couple of weeks and haven't felt cheated by it at all. In this particular story, Atticus is put up against forces he doesn't have ready answers for. That seems like a fairly tired plot characteristic; however, for a guy that's been around for a couple millennia, being at a loss is unusual. To be frank, Atticus' perpetual state of being caught off guard is somewhat refreshing. If I have any real criticism to offer it's that our protagonist survived this tale by virtue of dumb luck, for the most part. That, alone, is not a problem in that this often exposes the vulnerability of a character and makes the threat more believable. But, when the same luck serves repeatedly, you start to predict that as the likely outcome and Atticus is way too cool of a character to need that kind of help.

All told, great, fun, humorous story. I can't get enough of the comic relief offered by Oberon (a.k.a. "Snugglepumpkin") ( )
  GeroneBlomgren | May 23, 2019 |

GeroneBlomgren | May 23, 2019 |
A good transitional piece in the Iron Druid series, and the preview chapter for the next book leaves me excited for the next. ( )
  draecas | Apr 21, 2019 |
I liked this book. I do have to admit that it was not my favorite book in the series so far but it was still good. This is the fourth book in the Iron Druid Chronicles which is a series that really has to be read in order. I have found the entire series to be rather entertaining and this book was no exception.

The book started out really strong. Atticus needs to disappear so a plan is developed to make sure that everyone thinks he is gone for good. I really enjoyed the parts of the book that dealt with Atticus and Granuaile leaving their old life behind. Atticus finds himself owing Coyote a favor which Coyote cashes in quite wisely. Coyote is such a sneaky character which I find a lot of fun.

I will say that this book felt a bit uneven to me. There were parts of the book where I was hanging on to every word because I was totally into the story. There were other sections that I wanted to drift off so I had to focus so that I didn't miss something important to the story. This was never a book that I didn't like but I did find a few sections to be a little slow.

Luke Daniels continues to do a fabulous job with this series. I really could not imagine experiencing this series in any other way. He is the voice of Atticus but he also is able to encompass all of the other characters. I think that my favorite voice is probably the one he uses for Oberon. It is really quite brilliant. Luke Daniels has quickly moved to the top of my list of favorite narrators and I can't wait to listen to him bring the rest of the series to life.

I would definitely recommend this series to others. I think that it is a really well-done series filled with great characters and exciting situations. My rating of this book is really closer to 3.5 stars and I did enjoy it quite a bit. I can't wait to see what happens next in the series! ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Feb 13, 2019 |

Hearne, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alan O'Bryan,
who bravely stands in front of my word vomit
and tells me to clean it up.
He is an outstanding alpha reader
and the finest of friends.
This is not a trick.
The best trick I ever pulled off was watching myself die.
I am Snuggle Pumpkin, hear me roar!
Bacon is the way and the truth.

Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert.

But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shape-shifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.

Druid Atticus O'Sullivan has battled vengeful Norse thunder gods before, and with a little help from a Navajo trickster god Coyote,he dupes them into thinking they chopped him up in the Arizona dessert. The Navajo Coyote is not above his own mischief and Atticus is battling for survival from an unlikely source.… (more)

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,462,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible