The Wonder of Your Love by Beth Wiseman

The Wonder of Your Love

by Beth Wiseman

This was the second book in the Land of Canaan Series. This is Katie Ann's story. Her husband left her in book 1 and also died. She has been raising her son alone with the help of family and a close friend.

She meets a relative of friends and they develop a wonderful friendship. Both want it to be more but are afraid. They are at different places in their lives, they live far away from each other, etc.

Over all a book I enjoyed and look forward to the third installment.

I do think a few parts could of been written better. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
This is a wonderful book that I could not put down. Katie Ann has been hurt twice by Ivan. First when he left her for Lucy, an Englischer, and again when he died in an automobile accident. Now Katie Ann has met Eli, who lost his wife 17 years ago. Now Katie has received a letter from Lucy telling her that they must meet in person to discuss a mystery that Ivan left behind. When he died Lucy found a photo of a house and a key. She has no idea where the house is but assumes that Ivan wanted to surprise her with the home. When Lucy arrives, Katie Ann discovers that Lucy is pregnant with Ivan's child. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Nov 20, 2011 |
I gotta admit I hesitated to do an Amish book just because there just seems to be so many of them and I wasn't sure if there could be another take on the Amish theme but Beth Wiseman has definitely taken another spin with the Amish genre and succeeded.

The Wonder of Your Love is very well written and this time it's a book in another generation (not the teens or 20's). The characters are in the 40's (gasp), well rounded, mature adults who know who they are and what they believe (or think they do). It was nice to read a book about characters my own age who have many of the same thoughts and moral values that I do.

I was a little surprised to find a story of infidelity (on the part of Katie's deceased spouse) and the mention of one of the main characters becoming a believer in one of the other books. I've never read anything by Beth Wiseman and didn't really expect there to be a message about salvation and belief in Christ in an Amish book (that gives you an idea why I steer clear from Amish fiction as my Christian faith isn't 'rule based' but based on Christ being our 'high priest' not a bishop or priest who dictates behavior and consequences).

The theme of infidelity, childlessness and repentance is very well handled throughout the book and I liked the way the book ended - without jumping straight to the marriage alter. The characters are normal (read not wimpy), flawed and yet gracious and caring. I will definitely be back for another one or 10 of Beth Wiseman's books ( )
  tiinaj1 | Oct 31, 2011 |
Katie Ann is in an interesting place in her life. She was recently widowed and has a young child. Eli is in the exact opposite place. Having lost his wife years before in childbirth, he has successfully raised 6 children and is now ready to enjoy a retirement of sorts. When Katie Ann and Eli meet at a wedding sparks fly-but not the good kind. They slowly develop into friends. Even if their lives are not converging, they begin to feel an attraction to each other. The two of them must figure out what they truly want in life and decide whether that life is together.

I've never read any Amish fiction before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was a rather interesting book. There a lot more twists and turns in the plot than I expected. Katie Ann and Eli both had very different but equally interesting back stories. I found Katie Ann's struggle with forgiveness to be particularly interesting. She seemed very real and human. As a mother, I also understood her anxiety involving her son. I can't even say how many times a night I would check on my young son. I still sometimes wake up and watch him breathe. These things really let me relate to Katie Ann on a level I didn't expect.

Eli was a very steady man. I liked that he addressed the somewhat selfish seeming nature of his desire to enjoy his new child-less life. He was also very kind and patient. I also greatly enjoyed Martha. In some ways I felt she was a voice for the reader encouraging Katie Ann and Eli along the path to romance. While the book is sweet, it is never too much. There are plenty of conflicts and intrigue within the plot to keep things building to the end. This book managed to hold my interest throughout, and I will be sure to give Amish fiction a chance in the future.

Book provided for review. ( )
  l_manning | Oct 24, 2011 |

Katie Ann Stolzfus mourns the loss of her estranged husband as she struggles to raise her young son alone, but when Eli Detweiler comes to town to attend his niece's wedding, they face an unexpected and hopeful future together.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,047,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible