The Confession: An Inspector Ian Rutledge…

The Confession: An Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery (Ian Rutledge Mysteries) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Charles Todd

2642043,112 (3.92)12
Member:MrsLee
Title:The Confession: An Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery (Ian Rutledge Mysteries)
Authors:Charles Todd
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:mystery, r2013, audio

The Confession by Charles Todd (2012)

Recently added bytglovell, conantl, herbzen, Lonarae47, private library, PhilipTroy, Whisper1, tendring, kara.shamy

Title: The Confession (Inspector Ian Rutledge #14)
Author: Charles Todd
Pages: 344
Year: 2012
Publisher: William Morrow
Inspector Ian Rutledge receives a visit from a man who confesses to killing another man five years prior. Ian likes the confessor, but has his doubts as to the truth of his confession. On his own time, Ian goes to the small village where the murder allegedly took place. He is met with open hostility and leaves the village thinking something is not quite right there. He does some more digging with no real results. Then, two weeks later, the man who confessed to committing the murder is himself found murdered. Now, there is an official case headed up by Rutledge.
Upon returning to the village, he again meets with resistance everywhere he turns. He is led down many different avenues, but always seems to wind up at a dead end. There are other unsolved murders in the past of some of the villagers, but are they related to his current case? He believes that they just might be. He knows he is missing one vital piece of the puzzle and then he’ll be able to solve the case. Can he catch the killer before he kills one last time and makes good his escape? Timing is everything.
Once again, the writing team of Charles Todd delivers an excellent mystery! There were many twists and turns in the plot that left me baffled about the killer’s identity. The tension built by skillful writing was palpable and left me quickly turning page after page. The vivid descriptions of the scenery put me right there in my mind as if I were in the story myself. With each novel in the series, I am enjoying getting to know Inspector Rutledge better and how his mind works to achieve justice in his mind. I hope to read the next book in the series within the next few weeks as I bet it will be another winner!
My rating is 5 stars.
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jan 5, 2015 |
A man confesses to Scotland Yard Inspector Ian Rutledge that he committed murder. When the man is murdered, found floating in the Thames, Rutledge soon finds out he is not who he said he was. In investigating the murder, he winds up in a creepy little village in Essex, where he is definitely persona non grata.

Rutledge is a wonderfully flawed character, a World War I veteran, suffering from what we today call post-traumatic stress disorder. He’s plagued with a voice in his head of a solder, Hamish, he was required to execute on the battlefield.

My husband gave up on this series because Rutledge seemed to spend more time traveling to and fro than actually investigating the crime. I found The Confession frustrating to read for much the same reason: lack of focus on the actual investigation.

Although the story was OK, I probably won’t read another in the series. ( )
  NewsieQ | Dec 17, 2014 |
Another really good read from Charles Todd. Simon Prebble does an excellent job of the audio presentation. Although this is #14 in the series, it is only 1920 so we haven't progressed very far from the demons and ghosts of World War One. Ian Rutledge seems in better control of his own personal ghost Hamish, but even so wonders whether sometimes people hear him in conversation with Hamish.

Things are changing at the Yard. The Chief Inspector has had a heart attack and been hospitalised and so underlings like Rutledge are able to take advantage of the laxer supervision to operate this case on his own initiative. Of course that also means that the Yard doesn't actually know where he is and should anything happen to him, it will be some time before help arrives, if ever.

The audio versions of these books are produced to a very high standard, assisted by the fact that each story is carefully ( )
  smik | Jul 27, 2014 |
This is the one set on "the River Hawking" in the Essex marshes, where "you could hide a battalion" in the tall, whispering grasses. The local villagers are wound up tight over the crimes of their ancestors two centuries back, as well as their own. Rutledge holds his own, physically, mentally, and emotionally: good job, Ian. ( )
  jzdro | Nov 8, 2013 |
The hits keep on coming in the Ian Rutledge series. Todd's character development remains took notch as do the plots. This one has a loose ends in the way of mysteries but the end brings them all together.

ScottKalas | Jun 10, 2013 |

Charles Toddprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desoille, MartineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Troubled Scotland Yard inspector Ian Rutledge wrestles with a startling and dangerous case that reaches far into the past when a false confession from a man who is not who he claims to be leads to a brutal murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,263,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible