The Confession: An Inspector Ian Rutledge…

The Confession: An Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery (Ian Rutledge Mysteries) (edition 2012)

by Charles Todd

2592044,125 (3.89)11
Member:MrsLee
Title:The Confession: An Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery (Ian Rutledge Mysteries)
Authors:Charles Todd
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:mystery, 2013, audio

The Confession by Charles Todd

Took me a long time to finish this book. Something rang hollow to it. Can't put my finger on it. Have been a slew of "Aspy" personalities lately and I am not certain I accepted this guy as one of them. His personality was so flat! As for the main character Shandie (what kind of name is that? My Nana gave us shandies as kids.... a mixture of wine and gingerale) just too ...... dense. And the kid Natty...the best character of the entire book.

Premise, girl is drugged and raped and considers it an immaculate conception until she is involved in a robbery and then decided she has to know who the is the father of her genus kid. Another Aspy!

Just did not enjoy any of it. ( )
  Alphawoman | Aug 16, 2014 |
I'm struggling with a rating on this one because I LOVE LOVE LOVED this book until the last 20 or so pages, when the horrible circumstances of Natty's conception suddenly became.....not that horrible? Maybe ok? Perhaps not such a bad thing after all? I always enjoy Jackson's work because she is able to create such rich and full characters, and this novel is no different. But the ending. I don't want to give spoilers, and in general I try not to judge books based on my own moral compass, but there are some things that are just not okay, and I am having a hard time with the author's choice on this one. Reader beware - this one might be a rough one.
  NeedMoreShelves | Aug 5, 2014 |
Another really good read from Charles Todd. Simon Prebble does an excellent job of the audio presentation. Although this is #14 in the series, it is only 1920 so we haven't progressed very far from the demons and ghosts of World War One. Ian Rutledge seems in better control of his own personal ghost Hamish, but even so wonders whether sometimes people hear him in conversation with Hamish.

Things are changing at the Yard. The Chief Inspector has had a heart attack and been hospitalised and so underlings like Rutledge are able to take advantage of the laxer supervision to operate this case on his own initiative. Of course that also means that the Yard doesn't actually know where he is and should anything happen to him, it will be some time before help arrives, if ever.

The audio versions of these books are produced to a very high standard, assisted by the fact that each story is carefully ( )
  smik | Jul 27, 2014 |
This is the one set on "the River Hawking" in the Essex marshes, where "you could hide a battalion" in the tall, whispering grasses. The local villagers are wound up tight over the crimes of their ancestors two centuries back, as well as their own. Rutledge holds his own, physically, mentally, and emotionally: good job, Ian. ( )
  jzdro | Nov 8, 2013 |
The hits keep on coming in the Ian Rutledge series. Todd's character development remains took notch as do the plots. This one has a loose ends in the way of mysteries but the end brings them all together.

ScottKalas | Jun 10, 2013 |

Charles Toddprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Troubled Scotland Yard inspector Ian Rutledge wrestles with a startling and dangerous case that reaches far into the past when a false confession from a man who is not who he claims to be leads to a brutal murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible