I Am Small by Emma Dodd

I Am Small

by Emma Dodd

a cute book about a baby penguin comparing himself to everything and then says that he doesnt mind because he has his mama penguin
6 books
  TUCC | Oct 28, 2016 |
A baby penguin is small in the world, but large in the eyes of its mama.

"These things are big and long and deep, and strong and high and far and steep...and I am small. But you are big and you are kind. When I'm with you, I do not mind. I may be small, but I can see the biggest thing to you....is me!" ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 2, 2016 |
I like the repetition of the text; the illustrations are clean and simple and convey the different meanings without cluttery detail. Points off though for the sappy ending. I would have loved it to end on the second-to-last line: "These things are big and long and deep, and strong and high and far and steep...and I am small. / But you are BIG and you are KIND / When I'm with you I do not mind." The picture that goes with is the penguin chick tucked in between the parent's legs: really nice match, it shows a very positive aspect of being small to balance all the other pages, where being small is a disadvantage.

Instead we continue to two more pages: "I may be small but I can see / the biggest thing to you / is me." Not only does this, uninterestingly, echo every single other I-love-you-so-much book out there, but it introduces a tricky mental concept for toddlers: how can the little chick be big when the little chick is really small? Yes, we can talk about how "big" means "important" with our little ones...but the other word meanings in the book are pretty straightforward and more or less accessible through the great illustrations. LOVE Emma Dodd's illustrations!

PS re the cover: my library's outsourced book processors taped the flap along the edge of the front and back covers, so that the book flaps could be lifted up and away from the illustrations on the endpapers. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
simple story - need copy without cover stuck on to read entire book ( )
  melodyreads | Feb 6, 2012 |
"I am Small" is a book that shows children their place in the world through the eyes of a baby penguin. The penguin comes to understand that although he is small in a world that is not, he is the biggest, most important thing to his parents. The book has great pictures and rhyming words that would be perfect for children up to the age of 3. ( )
  esproull | Jan 27, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054535370X, Hardcover)

Cuddle up with your little penguin this winter!

"The world is big and I am small."

From the eyes of a baby penguin the world is a great big place. The sky so high, the ocean so deep, and the mountains so steep--all these things are magnificent from it's point of view. But in the eyes of it's mother--this little penguin is the biggest, most important thing in the world! This beautiful story is highlighted with foil on the cover and throughout.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

From the eyes of a baby penguin, the world is a great big place.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible