Cold Hearted Son of a Witch by M. R. Mathias

Cold Hearted Son of a Witch

by M. R. Mathias

231459,532 (4)None

Cold Hearted Son of a Witch – Dragoneers Saga Book II – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat and Think With Your Taste Buds – Desserts

‘The Crown Prince lay peacefully, as if asleep, inside the currently green-colored magical field. He was afflicted with the Goblin King’s poison, a terrible stuff that had maddened and then slowly corroded from the inside out anyone who’d breathed it. If the stasis failed before an antidote was concocted, he would surely die. Jenka knew Herald was right about what had to be done, but that didn’t relieve the urge Jenka was feeling to just ignore common sense and keep his word by saving his fellow Dragoneer.

The Dragoneer’s Lair, as the hall was now called, was an intensely morbid place. Queen Alvazina was often found there arguing with her husband or weeping over her son’s body. Like Mysterian, she was a witch of the Hazeltine, and she fully understood the magnitude of the situation. She knew Richard’s life hung in the balance, and that there was no certainty about the antidotal potion Mysterian hoped to brew. Her sorrow seemed to sap the hope out of some of the others, thus the hall was sometimes the quietest place in Mainsted.’

In his first book, Mathias introduced us to Jenka De Swasso, Rikky Camille and Zahrellion, along with their dragons Jade, Silva and Crystal. He took us through the battle with the Gravelbone and the poison that put Prince Richard into his state of suspended animation. We saw King Blanchard and Linux change places for the benefit of the war. We also learned the prophecy of what is called the “Confliction” that will be fought by 10 – 5 Dragoneers and 5 dragons. But what is the “confliction” and who are the other 2 Dragoneers? Where will they come from? Where will the battle take place? Will the antidote, once brewed and administered to Prince Richard, counteract the poison and bring him back to help fight in the confliction? And will Linux and the King finally make the switch back into their own bodies?

It didn’t take me long to read M. R. Mathias’ first book. It was packed with action, excitement, suspense and a little humor now and then, making it a fast enjoyable read. When I read his second book in this series Cold Hearted Son of a Witch, I expected more of the same. Well, he didn’t disappoint me. It has everything that the 1st book had and more.

I’ve never been a big fan of fantasy books but this author is changing that. He could carry this book into a series of 10 and I’ll read, and am sure, enjoy every one. I love reading this series.

Review Stir, Laugh, Repeat at Amazon.com Stir, Laugh, Repeat ( )
  marthacheves | Sep 23, 2011 |

Zahrellion, Rikky and their dragons embark on a quest to find the special mushrooms Mysterian needs to save Prince Richard from Gravelbone's poison. Meanwhile, Jenka and his loveable dragon, Jade, escort the King's Rangers back to Kingsmen's Keep. When Jenka and the half-elvish mute, Lemmy, find a map at the Temple of Dou, they follow it and find more trouble than they bargained for. Ultimately, the five Dragoneers come together as they are forced to stand and face a terrible threat that is only just revealing itself..… (more)

M. R. Mathias is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,994,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible