Seed by Rob Ziegler
2001358,750 (3.34)2

In the 22nd century climate change has turned North America into an inhospitable land: scorching desert in the summer, frozen wasteland in the winter. The remaining populace migrate up and down the country, scraping a living from the ground with seeds given to them by the post-corporation Satori. It's a beautifully imagined word and Zeigler throws you straight into it. The reader needs a certain level of SF-(or science)-literacy as Zeigler doesn't bother explaining how or why the world came to be this way. Instead the story focuses on the people just trying to survive.
It gets off to a choppy start, jumping around between Brood's present, backstory and recent past events, bouncing between characters, the plot is not immediately clear. Stick with it, the ending is worth it.
You'll notice the terrible editing from the beginning (other reviewers have noted what they spotted. I saw 'souls of their feet' within the first few pages). Some reviewers have said that they couldn't understand it because some of the characters spoke in Spanish. That's just nonsense. The meaning is obvious from the context. You need less Spanish to read this book than you need Elvish to read Tolkein.
1 vote Flick-Imrie | May 15, 2016 |
I absolutely refuse to read anything anymore that does not absolutely enthrall me (unless I have to). This is tolerable and has a good premise, but I am not into reading merely to consume "tolerable" literature. I only want to spend my time on the best. This does not qualify. On to try something else (after deciding to abandon it on about page 130). ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I gave it the requisite 50 pages, and I still don't care. (It doesn't help that it's doing that First Novel Thing where I'm three chapters in and each chapter is an entirely new set of characters, which I hate.) ( )
  jen.e.moore | Jul 31, 2015 |
I wanted to like Seed more than I did, ultimately. There's nothing wrong with the book per se, but it felt very familiar and its hefty length wore me down.

It's a post-apocalyptic world, with a scattered population dependent on the enigmatic Satori Corporation for seed - the only seed that can survive the harsh climate the world now faces. A living enclave, Satori also produces genetically enhanced ubermenschen for this brave new world. But a questioning genetic builder, a hardened soldier, and a cynical climate refugee will come together in a way that will change everything.

Ziegler juggles his multiple protagonists well, though only one is truly sympathetic, and none evince a tonne of depth. I suppose my main challenge with the book was that its plot moves fairly slowly, and towards a conflagration that's predictable, even if its outcome isn't.

The world-building is a little patchy. Rich and interesting in parts, skeletal in others. The rest of the world seemingly doesn't exist, there's little sense of society in this fractured milieu, and the technology is stereotypically post-apocalyptic - light years ahead in some areas, but oddly stone age in others.

For all its flashes of originality, there's an awful lot of stereotypical post-apocalypse stuff in Seed, and I personally find the trope a bit played out; this kind of book has been written for many decades now.

Lacking characters I could really care about and a setting that felt really familiar, I struggled to connect with Seed, though I think Ziegler is worth keeping an eye on as writer; there's potential here. ( )
  patrickgarson | Apr 21, 2014 |
Here's the thing: while it averages out to three stars, I would give the first half of this book two and the last half four, that's how differently I felt about them. It took me ages to really get involved in it and to care what happened to anyone. It wasn't until the threads started to weave together more tightly, and we got a sense of just how extensive the genetic engineering was, that it started to work for me. And when it worked, it really did work. ( )
  rrainer | Apr 30, 2013 |
For Cindy
The prairie saint wore a white lab coat with a black cross firebranded onto the lapel. blotting out the name of some long dead doctor.

"Gina fell for the wrong guy. Joe came into her life promising her everything, and he gave it to her, along with a world of hell. But Gina was stronger than Joe realized. After years of suffering the terror of being married to a criminal, she took the one thing he ever gave her that she wanted--her son, Luke. Then she turned the bastard in. With her husband behind bars, her father-in-law will stop at nothing for revenge. He wants his grandson back, the heir to his criminal empire. With a vast network that stretches across the country, every favor is called in to kill Gina and return Luke to his grandfather. Gina can trust no one. Even the U.S. Marshall assigned to keep Gina and Luke safe is on the payroll. So with a gun and stolen diamonds in her purse, Gina takes Luke and runs. Los Angeles was only supposed to be a quick stop--sleep, eat, and continue running--but then they meet Gray ... . He says he's a sailor, but he seems to be hiding a lot. And when the time comes, he's the only thing standing between her and the grave"--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible