Servants of Darkness by Mark Edward Hall

Servants of Darkness

by Mark Edward Hall

181561,019 (4)None

Again, it's a collection of short stories. I'm sorry people, but I love my short story collections. They're like little bites of scary goodness. They're like the Whitman's sampler of the horror book world. You guys know what a Whitman's sampler is, right? The box of chocolate...oh never mind.

I ran into Mark (not literally of course) over on the Masters of Horror Facebook page and he was looking for reviewers for his book. What a serendipitous coincidence, no? So I gave him my email and he sent me his book. Yay!

Servants of Darkness is a delicious bundle of thirteen dark stories. The majority have been published before but I had never read any of the author's work. The stories were well written, dark and deeply satisfying.

My favorite of the tales is The Kindred. What if the veil between worlds really is thin on Halloween night and all hell breaks loose? What if you were the one chosen to save the world? Mark creates his own myth for Halloween and names an unlikely hero.

I also really enjoyed The Nest and Bugshot. Because I hate birds and most bugs. (Way to play to my fears Mark!) The Nest also has a twist ending, which I always enjoy. The Rain After a Dry Season was another eerie tale that makes you wonder just where did that orphan come from?

All of the tales are well written, atmospheric, everything horror should be. I highly recommend picking up this collection and getting to know Mark Edward Hall's work for yourself. You will not be disappointed. For those of you who prefer novels, Mark has three novels also available on Amazon.com ( )
  Stacey.Turner | Jan 7, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible