The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan

by Katherine Applegate

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (C.Vick)
    A Dogʼs Life: The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These tender, wistful stories of survival are told from an animal's perspective -- stray pooch, Squirrel, and captured gorilla, Ivan. While humans both help and hinder them during their long struggles, they find hope (and secure homes) in the end.… (more)
    The Underneath by Kathi Appelt (C.Vick)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (FFortuna)

Apparently, based on the story of a real gorilla.

Somehow the animals talking to each other felt unbelievable (you don't say?) I think it's because they're different species. Look, usually I am able to take to this kind of thing. I loved Babe, Charlotte's Web, etc. But here the animals just felt like puppets. Maybe because we are limited by Ivan's POV and diction that it feels dumbed down? I still wonder why this felt hollow to me. Ivan, and even Bob and Stella, all had insightful comments on humans. There was a quest, the goal was achieved. But somehow it feels like schmaltz. Cutie patootie baby Ruby felt like a pity ploy. Poor Stella is Dumbo's mom (but with more tragic end). Cynical street pup Bob is [Lady and] The Tramp. Mack's wife left him. Even the carekeeper's wife is sick. It's like every character is calculated to have some sympathy factor. I think my subconscious did not like that. This was a story not written to be enjoyed for its sake, but to teach values/morals, and I think I don't much enjoy kinds like that. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
This is about a gorilla in a mall circus that promised to help a baby elephant become free from said mall. Ivan the gorilla uses his artistic talent to get people's attention enough to where they will take him and Ruby, the baby elephant, away. With the help of a little girl named Julia and her father, this becomes reality.
  sam91h | Jun 11, 2017 |
I’ve been wanting to read The One and Only Ivan for a while. I finally got to and I can say it is an amazing book. One of my favorites. It teaches about the cruel reality of animals taken away from their natural habitats, their horrible fate afterwards. What they endure in captivity and performing for humans. But, it also teaches about love, compassion, and how intelligent these creatures are. It gives the reader a better understanding of these animals and how we should help protect them and respect them. After all, we are their voice.
  EstefaniaL | Jun 8, 2017 |
"The One and Only Ivan" is a precursor to a chapter book, because it's broken up in to short passages, but they aren't quite chapters. I would have have a third grade class read this book and pair it a writing assignment. I would have the students write a journal entry, as Ivan, expressing his feelings about his new home.
  harrispsu | May 7, 2017 |
This is a great book about a gorilla in the middle of the mall who was put there for entertainment. Until one day a new friend joins him, A baby elephant is brought to the mall and the gorilla makes a promise the elephant that he will not let him live like this and they will get out. In the end they both wind up at the zoo. I feel this is a great book for middle grades. ( )
  dsw021 | Apr 30, 2017 |

Katherine Applegateprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baldinucci, LoredanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is never too late to be

what you might have been.

--George Eliot
for Julia
I am Ivan. I am a gorilla. It's not as easy as it looks.

--from the book summary

When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992259, Hardcover)

Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.

Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.

Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Katherine Applegate's book The One and Only Ivan was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,160,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible