The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan (edition 2012)

by Katherine Applegate, Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)

Member:MissAda
Title:The One and Only Ivan
Authors:Katherine Applegate
Other authors:Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (C.Vick)
    A Dogʼs Life: The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These tender, wistful stories of survival are told from an animal's perspective -- stray pooch, Squirrel, and captured gorilla, Ivan. While humans both help and hinder them during their long struggles, they find hope (and secure homes) in the end.… (more)
    The Underneath by Kathi Appelt (C.Vick)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (FFortuna)

This book is about a gorilla named Ivan who lives in an enclosure in a local shopping mall. He has grown accustomed to this life but once a baby elephant comes into his life and causes him to look at things differently. This is a story of great friendship that rivals some of the classics! This book is an excellent choice for my students because it addresses some issues with captive animals and different perspectives. I think it is also interesting that the author based this book based on real gorilla who lived in a shopping mall in Tacoma, WA.
  kristenbnoble | Apr 23, 2017 |
The one and only Ivan by Katherine Applegate is a book about a group of animals who have found themselves captive in a mall performing daily circus based shows. The story is centered on Ivan the silverback gorilla and the friends he has acquired. In the beginning Ivan is content with his surroundings until his friend Stella the elephant falls ill and his master adds another attraction, Ruby the baby elephant to the show. Ivan makes a promise to try to free Ruby and give her a better life and we see all his friends’ band together in those efforts.
I truly loved this book and the messages it brings. The friendship displayed through different types of animals for me coveys a message of acceptance that children all too often forget. I also think that the way the author breaks up the story into spaced out thoughts it makes a longer story less intimidating for a younger reader. I loved the amount of personification in this story from Ivan painting to the ability to communicate between species and ultimately I love the message that animals do not belong in changes. Overall this is a super cute book about a group of friends who work together to overcome the biggest struggles of their lives, wonderful book.
I think this book could be added to a unit over discrimination and acceptance due to the fact that all these different animals or races are not only friends but can accomplish so much more when they work together. I think this could be worked into a lesson following how Ivan painted multiple small pictures to create a bigger one. A teacher could assign each student a portion of a picture then having the class piece it together to teach team work. I also strongly think children should be introduce to the idea of treating animals humanly and leaving wild animals there and this would be a wonderful book to introduce that topic!
  Linzie12 | Apr 22, 2017 |
This book is comprised of short passages, a couple pages long, with short phrase descriptors presiding each passage. "The One and Only Ivan" is about Ivan, a gorilla, who is put on display, at a mall, for human entertainment. He has a couple friends and doesn't really think about the jungle being his natural habitat. That is until he befriends Ruby, a baby elephant, who was taken from the wild. Ruby forces Ivan to think about his unsuitable living conditions, until eventually Ruby and Ivan get new homes in zoos! This is a heavy, yet humorous and entertaining book.

I love this story and its underlying animal rights theme. I think it is very important for children to learn that animals in nature have specific needs, and most animals do not make good pets. I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend it for a middle elementary student.

"The One and Only Ivan" is a precursor to a chapter book, because it's broken up in to short passages, but they aren't quite chapters. I would have have a third grade class read this book and pair it a writing assignment. I would have the students write a journal entry, as Ivan, expressing his feelings about his new home. ( )
  ambybeth | Apr 21, 2017 |
Based on the true story of Ivan, a gorilla that did live in in a mall for decades and was finally transferred to a zoo. In the fictional account, Ivan tells a poetic tale of loneliness and helplessness. When Ruby, a baby elephant comes to join the other animals, Ivan makes a promise that he can not break and finds himself feeling new emotions that remind him of the past.
  widdowsd | Apr 21, 2017 |
Summary: Ivan the gorilla lives his life in a shopping mall, on display for all to watch. Ivan gives a first-person narration of his life, his thoughts, and his dreams. A baby elephant comes to live in the mall with him and he makes it his mission to find her a better life.
Criteria- Critique of Genre: Realistic fiction- based on a true story, the story of Ivan as seen through Ivan's commentary makes this story real.
Age: Primary, intermediate, older
Media: watercolor ( )
  hwestin | Apr 20, 2017 |

Katherine Applegateprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baldinucci, LoredanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is never too late to be

what you might have been.

--George Eliot
for Julia
I am Ivan. I am a gorilla. It's not as easy as it looks.

--from the book summary

When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992259, Hardcover)

Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.

Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.

Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible