The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan (edition 2012)

by Katherine Applegate, Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)

1,1961656,704 (4.4)56
Member:MissAda
Title:The One and Only Ivan
Authors:Katherine Applegate
Other authors:Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The one and only Ivan is a story about Ivan the gorilla who lives in a cage in a mall, with an elephant Stella, and a dog. When a new baby elephant, Ruby comes to the mall, and the owner starts training her, Ivan sees the abuse that she is put through, and decides to try to find them a new home at the zoo. He begins to use is finger paints to paint a big picture of a zoo, and when people see it they start to protest the treatment of the animals at the mall. Eventually the place at the mall is closed and Ivan and Ruby get a new home at the zoo.
I really enjoyed this book because it teaches kids the things that some animals go through in smaller zoos and other places, and really can make them think about the issue of animal abuse. It was kind of long, so it might take awhile to read it to a class. This book would be good for older kids around 4th or 5th grade who can remember what happened in a book from one day to the next
  KayleighAdamsRossi | Jul 18, 2014 |
This is such a cute story. I absolutely loved how it showed the amount of pain that animals that are circuses go through. It is made for 8+ and doesn't take very long to read, but will teach you so many things about animal cruelty and love. I was in tears over this book! ( )
  hockeyzc58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Horn Book starred (Fall 2012), Kirkus Reviews starred (October 15, 2011)
  stonini | Jul 13, 2014 |
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate is about a gorilla named Ivan who lives in an arcade in the mall. He has two friends who stay there with him, Stella, an elephant, and Bob, the stray dog. Ivan likes art a lot and uses mangoes as inspiration. A new friend Ruby who is a baby elephant comes to live there also after being abandoned. Ivan friends the baby elephant and makes her feel welcomed by using art.

I thought this book was a good book to read, although it would not be one of my favorites. The story was good, but just did not interest me.

I would have this book in my classroom for fun time reading, but could also use it for story time. I would read it to teach the children how fin it can be to have new friends.
  Cecelia.McKay | Jul 11, 2014 |
I wanted to read this novel but was hesitant because of its 300 pages. This should not have kept me from reading- the type is large, and there are not many sentences on a page. I love that the book is told from Ivan's point of view. Ivan describes his life from a practical point of view and has accepted that his life is contained in the four walls of his cage. When Ruby, a baby elephant, becomes part of the Big Top Mall menagerie, everything changes. Because of a promise he makes, Ivan begins to think of a way for Ruby to get to a "nice" zoo with a bigger enclosure and to be with other elephants. This book could easily be used in a fourth grade classroom. It could spark discussions on whether or not animals should be kept in cages. I really liked that Ivan's story is based on the story of a real gorilla who was kept away from other gorillas for 27 years in a circus themed show until he was taken to the Atlanta zoo. This is a story of friendship, loyalty, and love. ( )
  SuPendleton | Jul 9, 2014 |
It is never too late to be

what you might have been.

--George Eliot
for Julia
I am Ivan. I am a gorilla.

--from the book summary

When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992259, Hardcover)

Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.

Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.

Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:17 -0400)

64 wanted2 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible