The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan (edition 2012)

by Katherine Applegate, Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)

Member:MissAda
Title:The One and Only Ivan
Authors:Katherine Applegate
Other authors:Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (C.Vick)
    A Dogʼs Life: The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These tender, wistful stories of survival are told from an animal's perspective -- stray pooch, Squirrel, and captured gorilla, Ivan. While humans both help and hinder them during their long struggles, they find hope (and secure homes) in the end.… (more)
    The Underneath by Kathi Appelt (C.Vick)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (FFortuna)

I must be so hard-hearted...I really had trouble with willing suspension of disbelief with this one. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
This book is about a gorilla named Ivan who lives in a mall with other animals. Stella is an older elephant who is one of Ivan's friends. One day a little baby elephant comes to the mall and her name is Ruby. After a while Ruby and Ivan become very good friends and they share the love of painting. I love this book because because I think it's cool that an elephant and a gorilla could be such good friends. This book is very nice and sweet. ( )
  MadelynM14 | May 23, 2016 |
The book The One and Only Ivan is about friendship between a gorilla named Ivan and a baby elephant named Ruby. Ivan and Ruby lived in a mall with other animals. Ivan makes a promise to Ruby saying he would take care of her if she ever needed any help. I really enjoyed this book because it shows friendship between animals that are from different species. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading about keeping promises and animals. ( )
  ArjunR1 | May 22, 2016 |
Ivan was a lonly gorilla and stella the elaphant noticesed somthing was about to happen. One day a babby elephant came. Whene Stella died the animals were lonly. Big boxes were by the door it was time to leave.I liked this book becuse I like animals and this story is from the gorillas perspective. It also shows how hard it is to understand what is happening.I would recomend this book to animal book lovers. ( )
  RoseM30 | May 20, 2016 |
This book is about a gorilla named Ivan. He lives in a cage and works for a circus. One day a baby elephant comes to the circus and wants a way out. It's up to Ivan to help. I liked this book because it made me feel happy inside. It also made me understand what animals feel like when they are locked up. ( )
  MadelineB3 | May 17, 2016 |

Katherine Applegateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baldinucci, LoredanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is never too late to be

what you might have been.

--George Eliot
for Julia
I am Ivan. I am a gorilla. It's not as easy as it looks.

--from the book summary

When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992259, Hardcover)

Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.

Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.

Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,005,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible