The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan (edition 2012)

by Katherine Applegate, Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)

Member:MissAda
Title:The One and Only Ivan
Authors:Katherine Applegate
Other authors:Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (C.Vick)
    A Dogʼs Life: The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These tender, wistful stories of survival are told from an animal's perspective -- stray pooch, Squirrel, and captured gorilla, Ivan. While humans both help and hinder them during their long struggles, they find hope (and secure homes) in the end.… (more)
    The Underneath by Kathi Appelt (C.Vick)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (FFortuna)

Brief Summary: Ivan has spent twenty-seven years behind the glass walls of his enclosure in a shopping mall and is used to humans watching him. He rarely thinks about his life in the jungle as he paints, watches TV and hangs with his friends Stella and Bob. But when he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from the wild, he is forced to see their home, and his art, through new eyes.

Award & Description: 2013 Newberry Medal- The John Newbery Medal is a literary award given by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association (ALA). The award is given to the author of "the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."

How to use in a classroom: Study the life of animals in the wild vs. animals in captivity.

Book Citation (APA):Applegate, K., Castelao, P., & Costa, P. C. (2012). The one and only Ivan. New York: HarperCollins Publishers. ( )
  meganconser | Nov 26, 2016 |
Used this book and local history of the B&I, children warmed up slowly but as they got halfway into the book they were wanting more .Played you tube videos of Ivan at the B&I and then at the Atlanta Zoo ( )
  michellehewitt | Nov 21, 2016 |
Why did I wait so long to read this?????? ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book and the ending made it all worth it for me! I really liked the character development of Ivan throughout the story. I also liked how it was an easy read and in journal format. I also enjoyed how philosophical the characters, like Bob and Stella, would get sometimes. This made it enjoyable for both kids and adults. The main message of this book is how the power of friendship can bring out the best of us. We often will do more for our friends sometimes than we will for ourselves. This book is about stepping up at the right time and using the gifts that you are given for the greater good. ( )
  mdinar2 | Oct 27, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about The One and Only Ivan. Firstly, I thought the point of view was interesting. The book was told from the inner thoughts of a gorilla who was raised in captivity at a young age. The reader gets to see Ivan’s deepest, innermost thoughts (well as deep as a gorilla can get). As a reader, it was very interesting and gave great insight into Ivan’s character. Personally, I found it hard at times to read his short sporadic thoughts. They made sense because he was a gorilla, but at times it was too animal-like for my liking. I liked the character development. The book went into details about each characters background and life before they were brought to Big Top Mall and caged up. This made the book very emotional and personable. Reading about the animals’ backgrounds, most of which were very sad, created a strong bond between the reader and character. The main idea is keeping your word and being the best version of yourself. When Stella asked Ivan to get Ruby out of big top mall, he promised without realizing it was a nearly impossible feat. Ivan persevered through a long slow process, but in the end, he was able to fulfill his silverback’s promise. The book highlights the bond of friends, family, and promises. ( )
  kslack3 | Oct 26, 2016 |

Katherine Applegateprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baldinucci, LoredanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is never too late to be

what you might have been.

--George Eliot
for Julia
I am Ivan. I am a gorilla. It's not as easy as it looks.

--from the book summary

When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992259, Hardcover)

Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.

Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.

Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,751,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible