The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan (edition 2012)

by Katherine Applegate, Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)

1,6131994,504 (4.39)67
Member:MissAda
Title:The One and Only Ivan
Authors:Katherine Applegate
Other authors:Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (C.Vick)
    A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These tender, wistful stories of survival are told from an animal's perspective -- stray pooch, Squirrel, and captured gorilla, Ivan. While humans both help and hinder them during their long struggles, they find hope (and secure homes) in the end.… (more)
    The Underneath by Kathi Appelt (C.Vick)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (FFortuna)

A magical children's book told from the point of view of a mini-circus gorilla. Who knew gorillas think like humans? They do in this book anyway. Once Ivan is given a crayon and learns to draw he uses his talent to help fulfill a promise he made to his elephant friend when she died. The cast of characters include a dog who comes and goes as he pleases, an elephant who performs her tasks despite pain, a baby elephant who only wants a family, a young girl who teaches Ivan to draw, her janitor father who is the kind of father everyone should be and the park manager who struggles over doing the right thing. Written in short 1-3 sentence paragraphs that represent Ivan's stream of thought. Quick read and a great one for parents to read to kids. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
An absolutely perfect book. This novel is like prose-try. Its told in first person from a gorilla’s point of view, lyrical, poetic, and it is a page-turner. I read it in a day. I found it while subbing in fourth grade. The kids to whom I was reading were enthralled, even though I had to stop and discuss several of the vocabulary words, which they had already puzzled out. We had all fallen in love with Ivan and Bob, the little dog who kept running into Ivan’s domain. When I checked out of that class, I went and bought my own copy so I could find out what happened to Ivan and Bob. My face has only shown my delight, apparently, while reading two other books: Harry Potter and Marley and Me, according to my husband. He promptly read the book as soon as I put it down. This is a must read for third through fifth grade. It belongs on a shelf next to Charlotte’s Web, in my opinion. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
This book tells the story of Ivan, a gorilla that was taken from the wild and has been in captivity for the majority of his life. He lives at the Big Top Mall and Video Arcade and visits with his neighboring friend, an Elephant named Stella. Stella is sick and wishes only that the new baby elephant that has been brought into the mall, Ruby, will have a better life than what she has. Ivan promises to fulfill Stella's wish, no matter what it takes.
  Shilonwheeler | Aug 11, 2015 |
A very well told story told from Ivan's point of view. Ivan is a Silverback Gorilla and he lives in a cage in a mall. This story has some very dark moments, a major character dies, parents die, a major character is homeless. But there is deliverance and redemption. Readable by middle school aged readers but worth reading for adults. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

Katherine Applegateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baldinucci, LoredanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is never too late to be

what you might have been.

--George Eliot
for Julia
I am Ivan. I am a gorilla. It's not as easy as it looks.

--from the book summary

When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992259, Hardcover)

Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.

Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.

Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,138,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible