The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan (edition 2012)

by Katherine Applegate, Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)

Member:MissAda
Title:The One and Only Ivan
Authors:Katherine Applegate
Other authors:Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan is one of the best children’s books I have read! I can’t even begin to explain how much I loved this book, and how everyone should read it. I was engrossed in the book from the very first page. I adored the characters! They all have their own unique personalities and many people can probably relate to them, especially Ivan or Julia. All of the characters are well developed and memorable, and I don’t think you will be able to pick a favorite because they are all amazing (the animals anyway). I can’t decide who my favorite is, but Bob is pretty funny! As I was reading I kept wanting to comfort Rudy and break Stella and Ivan out of their cage. It was so horrible reading about their lives at the mall. I just wanted to do something about it. The story is funny, sad, happy, hopeful, heartwarming, and everything else you can imagine. I never really thought about reading from the point-of-view of a Silverback! It was quite interesting and gives you an idea about how the animals at the circus and other places may feel. At first I wasn’t sure about the writing and organization of the book, but after a few minutes of reading I really liked how it was done. Almost every page is a separate chapter, straight to the point, and is in the first person point of view of Ivan. It doesn’t disrupt from the flow of the novel at all. I really enjoyed how this was done. I also liked the illustrations and thought they added a little to the story. It was just really simple, short, and easy to read. This would be a great book to read if you love animals, fantasy, or have children. I can’t wait to read this to my son when he is older. The short chapters make it easy to read to your child at night because there are plenty of places to choose when to stop for the night. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and you shouldn’t waste any more time reading anything else about this book. Just read it. Trust me! It’s great and it even won the Newbery Medal! My rating: 5/5 stars! View this book on Amazon and Goodreads! Book Website where you can find information about the book, author, and the real Ivan! ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
A friend of mine is an elementary school librarian and she always has the best book recommendations. The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate is no exception. This 50 year old reader laughed, cried, and cheered for Ivan and his menagerie of friends. I enjoyed this children’s book more than many adult novels.

The story is about a Silverback, domesticated, Gorilla named Ivan who lives in a cage entertaining shoppers at a local mall. Ivan is an artist; he loves to draw and paint, and Mack even capitalizes on Ivan's artwork by selling his pictures in the gift shop. Ivan is close friends with Stella and Bob. Stella is an elephant who was once part of a circus act, and Bob is a homeless dog, that finds his way back to Ivan each night although he is not confined in a cage nor part of the mall attraction.

The animals are owned by Mack, and the dwindling interest in the animals is hurting him financially. Mack is relying on a new acquisition of a baby elephant, Ruby, to bring in revenue. I suppose Ivan and Stella have forced themselves to accept their fate of being confined to a small, dirty cage for a lifetime, where food and care are sparingly provided, but Ruby reminds the animals of their pitiful life and sparks a desire in them for Ruby to have a better one. With the help of young, kind-hearted Julia and her father George who cleans up the mall at night, Selfless Ivan is determined to keep a promise to his friend, and give Ruby a safe, happy and healthy life where she can roam and interact with other elephants.

Yes, this is definitely a children's book, but the story was so good, so meaningful, that it touched me deeply just as successful adult fiction does. I loved it. ( )
  2LZ | Sep 7, 2014 |
The one and only Ivan is a story about Ivan the gorilla who lives in a cage in a mall, with an elephant Stella, and a dog. When a new baby elephant, Ruby comes to the mall, and the owner starts training her, Ivan sees the abuse that she is put through, and decides to try to find them a new home at the zoo. He begins to use is finger paints to paint a big picture of a zoo, and when people see it they start to protest the treatment of the animals at the mall. Eventually the place at the mall is closed and Ivan and Ruby get a new home at the zoo.
I really enjoyed this book because it teaches kids the things that some animals go through in smaller zoos and other places, and really can make them think about the issue of animal abuse. It was kind of long, so it might take awhile to read it to a class. This book would be good for older kids around 4th or 5th grade who can remember what happened in a book from one day to the next
  KayleighAdamsRossi | Jul 18, 2014 |
This is such a cute story. I absolutely loved how it showed the amount of pain that animals that are circuses go through. It is made for 8+ and doesn't take very long to read, but will teach you so many things about animal cruelty and love. I was in tears over this book! ( )
  hockeyzc58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Horn Book starred (Fall 2012), Kirkus Reviews starred (October 15, 2011)
  stonini | Jul 13, 2014 |
It is never too late to be

what you might have been.

--George Eliot
for Julia
I am Ivan. I am a gorilla.

--from the book summary

When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992259, Hardcover)

Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.

Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.

Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:17 -0400)

64 wanted2 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,740,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible