The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan (edition 2012)

by Katherine Applegate, Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)

Member:MissAda
Title:The One and Only Ivan
Authors:Katherine Applegate
Other authors:Patricia Castelao (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (C.Vick)
    A Dogʼs Life: The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These tender, wistful stories of survival are told from an animal's perspective -- stray pooch, Squirrel, and captured gorilla, Ivan. While humans both help and hinder them during their long struggles, they find hope (and secure homes) in the end.… (more)
    The Underneath by Kathi Appelt (C.Vick)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (FFortuna)

Worth the Newbery Medal it won. I had minor quibbles with some of the knowledge Ivan held about the outer world...how would he know how much weight in food a gorilla needs to eat, or how logs drift in a river, or that lakes look bottomless? Mainly though, it's a compassionate and heartbreaking book about the treatment of animals. Hearing it through the voices of Ivan and his friends will give young readers empathy for living things and the predicaments they face. The ending is happy, if conveniently feel-good, but hey, it's a book for kids and they deserve happy, hopeful endings. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Children's book, Newbury Award winner. Fictional story and cast of characters based on an actual silverback gorilla that was in captivity for 27 years. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
I cannot believe an agent ever read far enough to get to the redeeming part of this story. We listened to it on our way to the Grand Canyon and it drove us all crazy for more than half way through the book. I would have given it one star, except that the story redeemed itself for a little at the end. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Katherine Applegateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baldinucci, LoredanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is never too late to be

what you might have been.

--George Eliot
for Julia
I am Ivan. I am a gorilla. It's not as easy as it looks.

--from the book summary

When Ivan, a gorilla who has lived for years in a down-and-out circus-themed mall, meets Ruby, a baby elephant that has been added to the mall, he decides that he must find her a better life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992259, Hardcover)

Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.

Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.

Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,171,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible