A Touch of Night by Sarah A. Hoyt

A Touch of Night

by Sarah A. Hoyt, Sofie Skapski

[Again, from my Amazon review]

(I rarely like zombies, so I'd been quite "meh" about P&P mashups. Now I'm taking a fresh look!) Anyway! This is a very fun book. And, despite some presentational flaws, I'm rounding up five stars. (I'm an evil, evil stickler for copy-editing (watch the typos breed in my text now!), so dock half a star for typos in the version I read.)

The two flaws:

1: There are a fair smattering of comma-errors, and one search-and-replace that turned "ramrod" to "raMr.od" -- probably because "Mr Name" is appropriate for UK/Regency spelling, and "Mr. Name" is required by American custom. There are a few other typos, but it's hardly unreadable -- and I am *terribly* touchy about such things. Other people are likely to be less-bothered. (And there is always a chance that the author might upload a repaired file; ebooks are handy that way!)

2: I quibble about the cover art. The dragon should be far more noble, much larger, and without the smirk. This is one of the times when the book should not be judged by the cover.

So. Ignore the cover art, and cope with the typos, and develop a big grin. Pride and Prejudice meets were-creatures, from wolves to bears to dogs to dragons, and while I enjoyed the original P&P -- I do admit, adding were-dragons has quite improved it for me! No only do Miss Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy have to cope with the usual sorts of misunderstandings of the era, but certain misunderstandings are compounded by the need to speak around delicate matters, which permits people to assume... quite different things, to the amusement (i.e., hysterical giggles) of the reader. Add in a dash of Noble Selflessness even when the true misunderstandings are resolved, and the romance is quite properly complicated.

Also, since were-creatures' clothing does not change with them, there's a certain amount of "fan-service" -- though appropriately glossed! (No purple prose paroxysms of Paranormal P... er, Romance, though the admiring of a well-muscled body is perhaps not entirely period.)

[[Note that it has been changed from a freebie -- which it was when I got it -- and may have had some typos fixed. The risks of reviewing ebooks and all that. Still, I was really quite entertained.]] ( )
  Elizabeth_McCoy | Jun 23, 2012 |

Sarah A. Hoytprimary authorall editionscalculated
Skapski, Sofiemain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,504,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible