Touch of the Demon by Diana Rowland

Touch of the Demon

by Diana Rowland

Series: Kara Gillian (5)

And now things start to change, and pretty darn dramatically. It's nice to see things hinted at in earlier books start to come together. This is a great series. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 9, 2017 |
Touch of the Demon
3.5 Stars

This installment in the Kara Gillian series has a completely different vibe to the first 4 books as most of the story takes place in the demon realm after Kara is summoned by a Demon Lord. Consequently, there is a significant amount of new world building, and while it is interesting to learn about the history and traits of the various demon types, the pacing is slow and the story only picks up at the 40% mark.

The new setting also means that favorite characters are missing for a large portion of the book and they are sorely missed. Moreover, the storyline lacks the investigative aspects that made the series so entertaining. Nevertheless, there is a host of new characters to become acquainted with and the plot developments are gripping.

It is impossible to write this review without addressing the huge, if not completely unexpected twist in the tale. Unlike other readers, who were not only disappointed but even angered by the development, for me it was a vindication of my initial perceptions as Rhyzkahl was never a favorite of mine, and his actions always seemed questionable and suspect. Thus, his betrayal was not at all surprising although the exact nature of his plans and the extent of his depravity did give me pause.

In sum, although it has its ups and downs, Touch of the Demon is quite good overall and Diana Rowland’s choice to break away from the accepted formula and move in a new and unexplored direction is exceedingly brave and bold. For me, this decision is a success and I look forward to seeing what happens when Kara’s two worlds ultimately come together. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
3.5 stars

This book has a lot going for it - compared to the others in the series, it's much longer. It fully explores a lot of the demon world (98% of the book takes place there). Kara learns about new abilities and how to strengthen as a summoner and further.

On the downside, most of the characters which are well known and loved from the previous series aren't around. They helped keep the life of the other books so their absence is missed. The biggest issue is a huge change with a major character. Their personality is revealed here to be completely different. Well, maybe not completely different, but not likeable anymore. It almost feels like a cop-out sort of cheat to me, and several other readers, as forcing the hand to end a triangle. I would wonder if this is the author's reasoning (or part of it) but then Kara ends up getting together with someone new again!

Also, the book, while fascinating with the world exploration, seemed to drag on at parts when it didn't before. There's a lot of decent action, but it's spread far out.

As with another book in this series, I again had issue with Kara's unreasonably vulgar, and unrealistic language. I'm no prude and profanity is used often in Urban Fantasy (realistically), but this example is just crass and turns me off:

Spoiler:

"Would it piss you off if I told you he sucked on my tits and bent me over the table in his chamber and fucked me?"

I mean, seriously? Who talks like that?? No one I know.

Besides the language annoyance, the slower parts that could keep things less nail-biting than before, the bitter change of a main, and the absence of characters and the world Kara exists in we typically adore, there's also a pretty big change in her career. In addition, when characters are finally shown, they just don't see the same or like the ones we know. Perhaps that's just me though, or else I felt different after reading such a long book where Kara was with different people, in a different environment, and setting different priorities than she ever has before.

If you're a fan of the series, it's worth a read. Of course at the end I was wanting more but thankfully the author did NOT end on a massive cliffhanger like before. In my mind this is the weakest of the series.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Kara gets summoned to the demon realm by Mzatl and then works at escaping him. Rhyzkahl rescues her and then betrays her. She is rescued by Mzatl and Idris and recovers. Kara now has a lot to learn before she's safe to be on earth again. Wow! Really looking forward to the next book. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Diana Rowland is a one of the few rare authors who didn't allow herself to stagnate. It takes balls to turn everything you've learnt on its head, and the only other author I know who did such thing was Karen Marie Moning with her Fever series.

The successful summoning in the end of Sins of The Demon brings Kara to demons realm, and all the next book she spends there re-learning and re-evaluating everything she knows. It's daring and awesome and strongly reminds me of World of Warcraft with its computer game-like sense of reality. The reader's emotions go through a roller coaster along with the main heroine's. Characters come and go, some stay your friends, others become your enemies... and some others blow your mind and just click as something right.

I loved that Kara had that. I loved that she found a new strength in her abilities and her new circumstances. She didn't break, she didn't wallow in her sorrows, she just got very angry and kicked ass. Anyway, I wholly recommend this series and can't wait to read the next instalment which comes out this month. Read this. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |

Diana Rowlandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Kara Gillian is in some seriously deep trouble.

She’s used to summoning supernatural creatures from the demon realm to our world, but now the tables have been turned and she’s the one who’s been summoned. Kara is the prisoner of yet another demonic lord, but she quickly discovers that she’s far more than a mere hostage. Yet waiting for rescue has never been her style, and Kara has no intention of being a pawn in someone else’s game.

There’s intrigue to spare as she digs into the origin of the demonic lords and discovers the machinations of humans and demons alike. Kara is shocked to discover that she has her own history in the demon realm, and that the ties between her and the demonic lords Rhyzkahl and Szerain go back farther than she could have ever imagined. But treachery runs rampant among all the lords, and she’s going to have to stay sharp in order to keep from being used to further their own agendas. The lords have a secret that dates back to earth’s ancient history, and it could have devastating repercussions for both worlds.

Yet more than anything else, Kara’s abilities as a homicide detective will be put to the test - because this time the murder she has to solve is her own.

Kara is the prisoner of the demonic lord, Mzatal, but quickly discovers she's far more than a mere hostage. He has his own plans to use Kara and keep her from Rhyzkahl -- the demonic lord she is sworn to serve.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,011,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible