Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway

Angelmaker (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Nick Harkaway

Member:kjforrest
Title:Angelmaker
Authors:Nick Harkaway
Info:William Heinemann (2012), Hardcover, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013, Book Group
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, science fiction

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway (2012)

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold (kitzyl)
    kitzyl: Commonalities include: nostalgia for the golden (criminal/stage magic) days gone by, details of an old and mysterious craft (horology/sleight of hand), flashbacks to character's childhood which explains their nowadays persona, mystery-thriller involving technological machines (truth-automata-bees/television).… (more)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)

Joe Spork tries to live a quiet life repairing clocks, as his grandfather did before him. But then mysterious government agents come looking for a strange clock-book, and Joe becomes embroiled in a conspiracy that could very well end the world, if not the universe.

Starts out very, very slowly, and it was only because I'd loved Harkaway's [b:The Gone-Away World|3007704|The Gone-Away World |Nick Harkaway|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328322676s/3007704.jpg|3038235] that I trusted the author enough to continue slogging through all the details of Joe's past and present. But it turns out all those painstakingly revealed details are vital to both the plot and to understanding, sympathizing with, and even feeling Joe's emotional journey from quiet citizen to ballsy gangster. The last 20% of this book is about as exciting as a narrative can get and not explode the hearts out of readers' chests. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
AngelMaker by Nick Harkaway - probably good

Oh, this book had so much promise, but disappointed in the last stages. I'm not sure what else I can add to Pauline's excellent review, but as I post in other forums, I shall try and write something.

The first half of the book was excellent. The characters were well introduced and the plotting was intriguing. It had the right level of whimsy too. The author's use of language was also delightful. (Quick aside: I must be getting used to my kindle as when I was reading this, I really missed the 'underline' option & my paperback is full of bits of paper to mark pieces of prose that I wanted to remember and return to).

I loved Edie. Scrap that - I wish I was Edie & hope I can grow old equally disreputably!!! I also loved Mercer Cradle - why can't I meet men like that? Oh & the dog - what a wonderfully horrible creature.

So, the story. This is basically standard steampunk - all the Ruskinite stuff & automata etc. Joe Spork is a clock repairman (bit of an understatement, he's one of the last of the master craftsmen), son of a gangster, grandson of a clockmaker. When he's asked to repair an unusual piece of automata he unwittingly sets off a 1950s doomsday machine and gets drawn into a convoluted plot to save the world. So far so good. As I said, the characters are well drawn (except maybe Polly) and you feel invested in the plot. One thing: if you've read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, you may find the Night Market very familiar, also Messrs Cummerbund & Titwhistle and one or two other bits of the London based plot.

Everything trots along quite nicely until around the mid-point. Then it seems to lose its way. You suddenly find yourself in a second rate gangster novel with a certain amount of gratuitous violence and the characterisations slip (hence the comment earlier about Polly). I had to force myself through the latter chapters in the hope that the whimsy returned and that it reached a satisfactory closure. I guess the ending was ok, but for a book which started so well and had so much promise, I
was sorely disappointed in the later chapters.

Lastly an example of prose/whimsy that amused me:

Joe has been having something of a battle with a stray cat leaping off the door onto his back - claws first. He has retaliated by smearing vaseline on the door...
"That creak means the floorboard by the wall, that pitter-patter is the animal jumping from the dresser...and that remarkable outraged sound must be the noise it makes bouncing off the far wall after sliding all along the coping, followed by...yes. An undignified thump as it hits the floor." ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Knowing that Nick Harkaway is the son of John LeCarre shouldn't really be a factor in the appreciation of this mad, lovely book, but when I put it down I couldn't avoid the conclusion that this was his answer to A Perfect Spy. Looming large over the story is the hero's father, an arch-criminal and a lovable, charismatic rogue, larger than life, who leaves a very confused son behind when he dies.

Anyway, will review properly later. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
I haven't been this excited by an author since I read Ghostwritten and number9dream. Anyway, after The Gone-Away World, Angelmaker - and what a helterskelter, rollercoaster, Hollywood blockbuster (may it never be turned into a film, let it remain in our imaginations), breathtaking pageturner it is. Joseph Joshua Spork, his relatives, friends and enemies, all as perfectly formed as the plot, which grips you by the throat and never lets go. What female baby boomer can't love a book containing not one but several notable examples of the burgeoning trend for feisty old women, here as spies/assassins/inventors/general kickass scary ladies involved in nefarious doings, especially the wonderful Edie Banister - 'Monstrous hags. Or you could say we are 'women of consequence'. Along the way to saving the world Joe learns much about his family, past and present, honour among thieves, not judging people, love, the difficulty of choosing between wrong and less-wrong actions, and the general insanity of present-day life. It is complicatedly but effortlessly structured, with the past increasingly encroaching on the present as characters' story arcs converge. The writing is exhilarating, and often very funny - 'the onward march of progress has wandered off down a dark alley and been mugged'; summing up what it's all about - essentially a warning to government - 'don't tell me the end justifies the means because it doesn't. We never reach the end. all we ever get is means. That's what we live with.' ( )
  Roseredlee | Jun 25, 2015 |
But the dead hand of patrimony is about to tap Joe on the shoulder. A commission to repair a rare automaton turns sour when he inadvertently activates a postwar superweapon, throwing him into the path of a 50-year struggle between an ageing female super-spy, an order of craftsman warrior-monks who follow the dictates of John Ruskin and a psychopathic South Asian princeling chasing an army of robot bees. And Harkaway is off, on 500 pages of chases, subterfuges and double-crosses that sometimes resemble Count of Monte Cristo-era Dumas seen through the prism of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. New twists and turns are produced with showmanlike relish: Submarines! Armoured steam trains! Faceless clockwork soldiers! Death-defying escapes from underground laboratories! There’s a girl to get as well, of course — one with a murky past to confront. Will Joe be able to grapple with his father’s legacy and save the world? Wild conceits aside, Harkaway’s story is a joyously old-fashioned one at heart. Of course he will.
added by kitzyl | editThe Telegraph, Tim Martin (Mar 6, 2012)

Nick Harkaway is a hyphen-novelist. A tragical-comical-historical-pastoral novelist, if you like; or – more precisely in the case of this second book – a fantasy-gangster-espionage-romance novelist. The Gone-Away World, Harkaway's well-received debut, was a slightly overfilled post-apocalyptic pick-and-mix of genres. Just as blithe in its disregard of verisimilitude and generic constraint, Angelmaker flits between old-fashioned villains in London's East End and covert action in 1940s south Asia, arranging its whistlestop plot around the modern-day discovery of a weapon of mass destruction in the unlikely form of a skepful of clockwork bees. It's an ambitious, crowded, restless caper, cleverly told and utterly immune to precis.
added by kitzyl | editThe Guardian, James Purdon (Feb 12, 2012)

For Clare, like everything else.
At seven fifteen a.m., his bedroom slightly colder than the vacuum of space, Joshua Joseph Spork wears a longish leather coat and a pair of his father's golfing socks.

A Wall Street Journal and Booklist Best Mystery of 2012

From the acclaimed author of The Gone-Away World, blistering gangster noir meets howling absurdist comedy as the forces of good square off against the forces of evil, and only an unassuming clockwork repairman and an octogenarian former superspy can save the world from total destruction.

Joe Spork spends his days fixing antique clocks. The son of infamous London criminal Mathew “Tommy Gun” Spork, he has turned his back on his family’s mobster history and aims to live a quiet life. That orderly existence is suddenly upended when Joe activates a particularly unusual clockwork mechanism. His client, Edie Banister, is more than the kindly old lady she appears to be—she’s a retired international secret agent. And the device? It’s a 1950s doomsday machine. Having triggered it, Joe now faces the wrath of both the British government and a diabolical South Asian dictator who is also Edie’s old arch-nemesis. On the upside, Joe’s got a girl: a bold receptionist named Polly whose smarts, savvy and sex appeal may be just what he needs. With Joe’s once-quiet world suddenly overrun by mad monks, psychopathic serial killers, scientific geniuses and threats to the future of conscious life in the universe, he realizes that the only way to survive is to muster the courage to fight, help Edie complete a mission she abandoned years ago and pick up his father’s old gun . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:30 -0400)

Avoiding the lifestyle of his late gangster father by working as a clock repairman, Joe Spork fixes an unusual device that turns out to be a former secret agent's doomsday machine and incurs the wrath of the government and a diabolical South Asian dictator.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,812,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible