Angelmaker (Vintage Contemporaries) by Nick…

Angelmaker (Vintage Contemporaries) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Nick Harkaway

576None17,155 (4.04)45
Member:jhautefaye
Title:Angelmaker (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:Nick Harkaway
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Speculative Fiction
Rating:***1/2

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, tummidge1, Geekocosm, DarylReads1, JSmith5528, ExpatTX, sci901, murraymint11
2012 (17) 2013 (6) adventure (5) alternate history (5) ARC (6) clockwork (6) crime (7) ebook (8) England (16) fantasy (25) fiction (62) goodreads (6) humor (4) Kindle (8) London (12) mystery (20) novel (9) read (10) read in 2012 (8) science fiction (58) sf (7) sff (4) speculative fiction (6) spy (12) steampunk (32) thriller (15) to-read (66) unread (8) wishlist (5) WWII (5)

Well written and often very amusing 'supernatural'/'science fiction' thriller. There is an amusing hero who mends clocks which turns out to be important as he can work on the angelmaker. Some wildly improbable events happen to some wholly improbably people - mostly around London. In the end the world is saved rather breathlessly from the goodies and the baddies and our hero sets off into the sunset. A lovely breeze of a book.
  Caomhghin | Mar 7, 2014 |
Far too long. Gave up half way as, some parts were really quite interesting but,there were too many parts that I wanted to skim over. ( )
  Carolinejyoung | Mar 7, 2014 |
Oh, Nick Harkaway, you are wonderful. Imaginative. You have a vocabulary that would reduce my high school English teacher to stammering, incoherent, adoration. This was a marvelous work of invention. BUT... introducing an important female character by showing us a sexy body part? Bah. I thought, "love interest," in resignation. The character even complains at one point about being treated as a sidekick--too bad the author wasn't listening. The exuberant presence of other superb female characters just made this one appear even flatter and duller. I also cringed my way through innumerable scenes of torture. Yes, yes, monomaniacal bad guy, evil robotic myrmidons, got it, I didn't need 100 pages of the sadistic infliction of pain. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Got this from the library on the basis of excellent blurbs from Wm. Gibson, Erin Morgenstern, Charles Yu, Matt Haig, and Dexter Palmer. I tried to get through Harkaway's The Gone Away World a couple years ago and gave up in frustration. Angelmaker frustrated me for about a hundred (of about four fifty) pages, but I persisted and am glad I did. There are a lot of digressions but they're half the fun (at least). Great book to start off the new year. ( )
1 vote lobsterpajamas | Jan 25, 2014 |

I loved it. Not quite as much as "Gone Away World" but still an enjoyable read. As with it seems the consensus, I liked the Edie storyline the best. There were many echoes, I thought, in Joe's character of a Dickensian milquetoast protagonist which I find irritating in Dickens and not strangely here as well. Because of that, I found the ending to be more implausible than already written. Not just because of the fanciful things happening - but because of the changes that came over Joe. But these are minor nits. It is a stellar book and if you already like Melvielle, Stephenson, Gibson, Powers, or others in a similar vein, then you will find much here to enjoy.
1 vote stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
For Clare, like everything else.
At seven fifteen a.m., his bedroom slightly colder than the vacuum of space, Joshua Joseph Spork wears a longish leather coat and a pair of his father's golfing socks.

A Wall Street Journal and Booklist Best Mystery of 2012

From the acclaimed author of The Gone-Away World, blistering gangster noir meets howling absurdist comedy as the forces of good square off against the forces of evil, and only an unassuming clockwork repairman and an octogenarian former superspy can save the world from total destruction.

Joe Spork spends his days fixing antique clocks. The son of infamous London criminal Mathew “Tommy Gun” Spork, he has turned his back on his family’s mobster history and aims to live a quiet life. That orderly existence is suddenly upended when Joe activates a particularly unusual clockwork mechanism. His client, Edie Banister, is more than the kindly old lady she appears to be—she’s a retired international secret agent. And the device? It’s a 1950s doomsday machine. Having triggered it, Joe now faces the wrath of both the British government and a diabolical South Asian dictator who is also Edie’s old arch-nemesis. On the upside, Joe’s got a girl: a bold receptionist named Polly whose smarts, savvy and sex appeal may be just what he needs. With Joe’s once-quiet world suddenly overrun by mad monks, psychopathic serial killers, scientific geniuses and threats to the future of conscious life in the universe, he realizes that the only way to survive is to muster the courage to fight, help Edie complete a mission she abandoned years ago and pick up his father’s old gun . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:30 -0400)

Avoiding the lifestyle of his late gangster father by working as a clock repairman, Joe Spork fixes an unusual device that turns out to be a former secret agent's doomsday machine and incurs the wrath of the government and a diabolical South Asian dictator.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible