My Friends the Miss Boyds by Jane Duncan

My Friends the Miss Boyds

by Jane Duncan

Series: My Friend series (1)

This is the first of a new series for me. I think it came up as a suggestion here at LibraryThing. I liked the cover and decided to try it. I was just delighted! I kept sharing stories with my Mama. I think she would love this one as well. I did sort of wish that I had it on my Kindle to have easy access to a dictionary, though a lot of words might be slang for the area. A wonderful cozy read with an edge. I loved the characters and hope to read all 19 in the series. ( )
  njcur | Oct 13, 2015 |
First published in 1959, Duncan writes of the world at the close of WWI in the depths of an economic depression, she knew as a child--a close woven community on Scotland's Black Isle. Outsiders from Inverness, the Miss Boyds, disrupt the rural self-reliant idiosyncratic way of life.
  keylawk | Jul 16, 2011 |
This story is told by Janet Sandison, also known as Janet Reachfar after the croft where she lives. She's a young girl and is very much part of the village life in the Black Isle in Scotland. Into that life come the Miss Boyds, six rather silly sisters of varying ages.

I liked the characterisations in this book, and the story as told by Janet. The book reads for the most part like it could be a children's book, until something happens that sobers up the reader, and brings back to mind the harsh times in which the book is set (towards the end, and post, World War One). However, the book is for the most part an easy and pleasant read. I've since got hold of a copy of the Millrace Books edition of My Friend Monica, which I'm looking forward to reading too. ( )
  nicx27 | Jul 10, 2011 |
Reprint of the first in Jane Duncan's "My Friends" series, to celebrate the author's centenary, from Millrace Books:
http://www.millracebooks.co.uk/books/my_friends_the_miss_boyds.html ( )
  Altariel | Jul 15, 2010 |
While it has been a while since I have read the Reachfar series by Jane Duncan they remain one of my favourite series ever. Written from the 1950's onwards the semi-autobiographical works follow the central character Jane throughout her life. Jane has a wonderful style and her character's are classics - the love story development between Janet the narrator and Alexander Alexander aka Twice is hilarious. ( )
1 vote dcollins.eckert | Apr 7, 2009 |

Jane Duncanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baylay, KateCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This delightful novel tells of a childhood at Reachfar, a croft in Ross-shire-- the story of a vanished world. Janet, the narrator, was brought up on this Highland farm by her stern old grandmother, her delicate, charming and beloved mother, George, her uncle, and Tom, the 'hired hand'.

Into this peaceful backwater come the 'Miss Boyds'-- silly, frivolous, giggling, highly-sexed old maids, bred by a Highland father, but essentially 'townees', who have come to settle in the neighbourhood. At first they are a laughing-stock: everything they do and say offends the simple code of integrity and decent behaviour by which the community lives. It is only when tragedy overtakes them that the compassion and great-hearted kindness of the Reachfar family, and their neighbour, are aroused.

It is as if Jane Duncan had cut a wedge, not only through the mountains that kept Reachfar and its inhabitants away from the outside world, but right into the past-- the years before, during, and just after the First World War. We see everything through the little girl's eyes: the harebells on the banks, the fields, the trees, the warm home kitchen, and the Ophelia-tragedy of poor Miss Boyd. It is all touching, full of humour, without an ounce of false sentiment, evocative, tender and real.

This is the first of Miss Duncan's enchanting novels about her 'Friends'.

-Inside Jacket, St. Martin's Press

The first of Jane Duncan's enchanting autobiographical novels tells of the author's childhood at Reachfar. Janet, the narrator was brought up by her stern old grandmother; George, her uncle; and Tom, the hired hand, who was nevertheless one of the family. Into this peaceful backwater come the Miss Boyds, who have come to settle in the neighbourhood. At first everything they say and do offends decent bahaviour by which the community lives. It is only when tragedy overtakes them that the compassion and great-hearted kindness of the Reachfar family and their neighbours is aroused.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible